Your favorite book

JimR

Since there are a lot of Ayn Rand fans posting - does anyone else have the Post Office Ayn Rand commemorative stamp? I've got a sheet inside the front cover of my 50th anniversary edition hardback of Atlas Shrugged.

I trust you all see the delicious irony of the Post Office (!!!) issuing an Ayn Rand commemorative. ;)

echo3mike

geez, when I'm not glued to cable tv...

Dune, by Frank Herbert. Kind of a cross between Sci-Fi, Philosophy, religion and the human condition.

Point of Impact. Stephen Hunter. Event hough he writes for the Washington Post, it's an amazingly good gun book. Kind of wierd to see all the places I shoot in a widly circulated book.

Last of the Mohicans was good. Written in a language easily understood, yet different from modern English. Lots of jungle fighting stuff, too!

Wounds and Lacerations: Emergency care and Closure. Trott.
O.K., so I need it for work, but it's a really good book for anyone in E-Med.

With all the input here, looks like I'll go pick up a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Regards,
S.

[Edited by echo3mike on 02-03-2001 at 11:50 AM]

Gun related? O.K. . . .

Finished Dirty White Boys this week. Phew! One helluva ride.

I've also managed to lay to rest the Bob Lee Swagger series since last year.

Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse was an interesting read.

John Steakley's Armor was one of the better sci-fi novels I've read in a long time.

feinwerkbau

Emerson and Thoreau

Any works by Emerson and Thoreau, although tedious to read, impart solid, wholesome morals and promote self-independence, small government, etc- much needed in today's PC environment. "Civil Disobedience", "Walden", and "Self Reliance" are but a few libertarian must-reads.

Ronin 99

An almost impossible task....

.....But if I had to choose just one, it might be Tolkein's Ring Trilogy,a magical,wonderous tale.
Ronin

johnr

A really "eclectic" RKBA read?

"The Weapons Shop of Isher" by A.E. van Vogt- novel & short-story versions published 1930-1940, available in "Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time & Space" ( circa 1963 )... well worth hunting at flea markets, 2nd hand book stores, etc.!

There is a book that all concerned Patriots needs to get, and share with family and friends. Pray you never need to use the knowledge, but if such a time comes, it will be too late to get the book:

"Total Resistance" by von Dach Bern ( 5th printing Feb. 1981 by Paladin Press ) ISBN # 0-87364-021-7
I've told this book can be found at:

http://www.paladinpress.com/
and possibly here:

http://www.loompanics.com/online-store/scstore/index.html

And other sources of "alternative" learning--

http://www.deltapress.com/index2.htm

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
It appalls me to admit this, but...

...as big a gun buff and Heinlein fan as I am, I have never read Beyond This Horizon, the source for the famous quote "An armed society is a polite society". I can't even find the dang thing anywhere... Help!

Maj. Dach von Bern's Total Resistence? What memories you raised. I bought it back in college when it was hardback and have it, along with probably a few hundred other books, sitting somewhere around the house today. When I finish my three bookcases, each 44" long, it can probably be found on the shelf (and my response to questions at TFL more intelligent too).

Hard choice to make. My favorites include Dickens' BLEAK HOUSE and LITTLE DORRIT, Tolkien's LORD OF THE RINGS and THE SILMARILLION, Frank Herbert's DUNE series, and Ayn Rand's THE FOUNTAINHEAD and ATLAS SHRUGGED. Also could mention a lot of military history works but that list is too long to get into.

PaladinX13

Hard to say having read so much (and forgetting most of it)... but a sentimental favorite would be Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Thumper

I think it's interesting that we share a commonality in our "favorite books" here. Outstanding choices all.

I would throw in my .02: If you're a fan of truly beautiful descriptive writing, along with accurate gunplay, I highly recommend anything by James Lee Burke. My mother is a Doctor of English and she turned me on to him. I would welcome any correspondance with anyone who enjoys his work. He's definitely my favorite contemporary writer.

My favorite book of his is probably "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead"

goob

Just a few of my fav's..

Jumping Fire by Murray A. Taylor

BlackHawk Down by Mark Bowden

Return With Honor by Jeff Coplon

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Mal H

Staff
Like most here whether said or not, this is one of the toughest questions to answer - there's too many good books. They're toss-ups in each category.

Fiction: "To Kill A Mockingbird", Lee; "Cannery Row", Steinbeck; "Dr. Zhivago", Pasternak.

Non-fiction: "Gods, Graves and Scholars", Ceram; "Mathematics: From The Birth of Numbers", Gullberg (I know that one's a stretch, but it's the rare math book that is actually fun to read.)

Science fiction: the "Rama" trilogy by Clarke; "The Stars My Destination", Bester; "Childhoods End", Clarke; "Hitchhikers Guide To The Universe", Admas

Gun fiction: "Unintended Consequences", Ross
Gun non-fiction: "Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders", Ackley

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Mal H,

How could I have forgotten Unintended Consequences?!?!

Speaking of "math books", have you read Goedel, Escher, Bach?

Mal H

Staff
Tamara, I've seen it but haven't read it. Good book? The cover blurb, "A mathematical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll" is intriquing since I have always been a fan of Carroll's math puzzles and such. Ok, you talked me into it.

Colombe

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe! How could I have forgotten?

Choosing a favorite book would be like choosing a favorite song. There is no way I could narrow it down to one.

Ken Cook

My top four are all by Ayn Rand.

"Atlas Shrugged"
"Fountainhead"
"Anthem"
"We the Living"

Next is Robert Anson Heinlein,
"Starship Troopers"
"Expanded Universe"
"Friday"
(I love almost everything he ever wrote, but I'm sticking to favorites.)

Ernest Hemingway
"The Green Hills of Africa"
"The Sun Also Rises"

and last,
Everything Colonel Jeff Cooper ever wrote.

See a pattern?
;)