Your all time favorite pistol of the 19th 20th century.

gak

Shafter said:
"For best looking I'd go with a 1851 Navy Colt"
-----
PBS Antique Roadshow just appraised one around $20k the other night..

458winshooter

favorite pistol

Would have to say Remington 1875 "Outlaw".I love the feel and the balance of one of these things.They never caught on like the SAA but everyone who used them back in the day thought they were a bit better.Frank James was reported to be one of their biggest fans.I hope to get a replica later this year.

FoxtrotRomeo

I know everyone thinks the 1911 is the Holy Grail, but I had to lug one of those around for several years in the military. I think it is antiquated, and I will be the first to admit I am biased against it. I don't like its looks, its weight nor its limited capability. I am not familiar with the newer copy cat 1911s, and I hope some are better than the old military 1911s.

They are more than likely. I've never had the opportunity to fire a legit former government issued M1911A1.

Since you don't like the weight I'll mention that they make 1911s now with aluminum alloy frames and slides as well. The aluminum slides seem to be actually popular.

Recoil springs are stronger now and I have found that they do reduce felt recoil at least for me.

The newer ones can cycle hollow points reliably now as well.

They now have the option of an ambidextrous thumb safety.

Different styled hammers now.

different sights as well

Can be fitted with barrels threaded for a suppressor (They now have one that doesn't get in the way of the front sight)

Some frames can fit flush with 7, 8 round single stack mags.

Some have double stack mags

Single stack mags go as high as 12 round mags. (I personally have two 10 rounders)

Adjustable triggers

front and rear slide serrations

Different chambered ones (9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm and of coarse the .45 ACP)

Different barrel lengths (6 inch, 5 inch, 4 inch, 3.5 inch, 3 inch)

Barrel designs ( standard barrel & bushing or bull barrel)

different styled handgrips (I have a Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves on mine)

and more

And that's what is going on with the new ones. Are they better? Borrow one from a buddy and find out.

Bentonville

My 1942 example of a Colt 1911A1 with all correct parts. I could just sit and look at it for hours. Now as far as practical shootin' irons, I have to say my HK45C. It is a soft shooting .45 that is as accurate as I can possibly be with a gun. I am enjoying reading what others really put up high on the list of favorites.

Last edited:

bds32

Its got to be the S&W .357 registered magnum with a five inch barrel. And then all of it's spawn of model 27 and 627 variants.

WVfishguy

Any N-frame Smith, but especially this Model 57 no dash (.41 magnum):
000_0001-4.jpg

After that, the Model 28 Highway Patrolman (.357 mag):
000_0004-1.jpg

P5 Guy

Favorite Guns

!9th Century Mauser C96 Broomhandle. The first acceptable semi-automatic pistol.
20th Century Glock 19. Simple, functional, butt ugly, reliable and accurate enough pistol.

CarbineCaleb

To look at, it's a Colt Single Action Army revolver with a 5.5-inch barrel. To shoot, it's a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver with a 6-inch barrel.

Malamute

19th century, Colt Single Action Army. i'd prefer one with target sights, like the flat top targets.

20th century, Smith 4" 29, or Smith K-22.

Casparado

For plinking: Ruger MkIII 22lr Target (Can actually afford to shoot all day long) ;)

For self defense: Browning HP 9mm or Beretta 92FS (can't decide, I own both) :cool:

For hunting side-arm: Any S&W "N" frame. (I chose .45LC, but they're all good.) :D

edit: My bad.... didn't read first post clearly, and just realized 21st century guns are out
.... so on that note I would have to go with the S&W "N" frame.