XDs Recall

bamiller

My XDS has worked great from day one, I have put several hundreds rounds through it without a hiccup, and is my everyday carry. This is a voluntary recall for something that there is a very rare chance could occur and for which there hasn't even been a reported owner issue. Why is everyone so ready to jump on and dis a manufacturer over a recall? Simply send it back (as I did yesterday) and they'll make it right.

SVTCobra306

Springfield is still ignoring their xds elephant in the living room. Many xds are failing to go into battery and have light off center primer strikes 5% of the time. Mine went back, they didn't fix it, I had to take a bath on that deal. Never again will I buy anything Springfield Armory because I know they won't stand behind their products.

Mine has seen over 500 rounds, with zero percent (0%) light strikes, and with me shooting it, zero failures to return to battery. With other people shooting it, usually for the first time, sometimes it locks to the rear.. because they are pushing on the slide release as they ham-hand the pistol. Not the pistol's fault. Same with some other failures due to limp-wristing. Despite all the reviews that claim it's a pleasant shooter, it is a tiny .45ACP. It barks. It does so controllably, but it is very easy to limp wrist if you are used to shooting a 9mm or a bigger .45 instead.

One disclaimer on the light strikes.. I do not use steel TulAmmo any more. I haven't shot any through my XD-S. One, because I started reloading so if I buy factory ammo, it is always brass cased, Two because everything I have run it through has had failures to fire with it. When ammo was going for too much money, I dumped the handful of boxes of it I had and didn't look back.

tahunua001

I just heard about this yesterday when the manager at my local sporting goods stores informed the guy at the gun counter that they had to box up all their XDS.

this is the first recall that I've ever seen on XDs and given that in the last 5 years Ruger, Glock and S&W have also had major recalls so you really can't fault springfield anymore than the other guys.... considering that they made it through the entire XD and XDM line before they had issues I would say that's a pretty strong track record.

skoro

I'm just a little concerned because this is my first experience with a firearm recall. Of course, I want my XDs to be as safe as it should be. But I'm not thrilled about finding a box, packing it up, then having to take a day off from work to receive it back again.

tahunua001

skoro, you should be able to just pack it back in the pelican case that it came in and take it to UPS, I don't remember whether it was springfield or S&W but one of those companies has an agreement with UPS to handle all shipping fees with service returns... or at least they used to.

skoro

Problem is, I don't have a box the pelican case will fit into. I'll just pack it well in whatever I have and send it back to them. But I'll have to take a day off work and be home to receive it, because FedEx states an adult signature is required for delivery.

I realize that there are sometimes teething problems with new products. Which is why I very rarely buy new firearms. The used ones I normally purchase don't have these issues.

tahunua001

they should pack it for you.
again, I'm not sure whether it was springfield or S&W and it was a few years back but you pretty much take it to them and they'll pack it and ship it free.

tahunua001

well considering that the XDS has only been readily available for 10 months or so and the 9mm version has only been available for the last 2... I'm guessing it's all of them.

Forrest68

I just packed mine in a small box, then went to FedEX and they bubble wrapped the small box and packed it into a FedEx med shipping box, for Zero cost. Hand the guy my shipping lable and off it went. I more apprehensive about the shipping than the recall really. I'll be happy when my little pistol is back where it belongs.

Cemo

I bought 2 of them this year, my first venture with Springfield Armory. Now I gotta spend $40 in gas money to take them to the nearest shipping point from my home. Never had a recall of the 9 Glocks that I've purchased over the years. I can't find any magazines for the 9mm at my local stores or online neither. Wondering if the move to a Springfield Armory product was a good idea.

tahunua001

agree with dasguy.
everyone has had recalls at one point or another.

Glock recalled it's gen 4s
Ruger recalled pre-40s SR9 pistols
S&W recalled a number of their shields
Khar/auto ordnance have recalled a number of their gun if I remember correctly

this is the chance you take when you buy a brand new model. sometimes errors make it past testing.

keithdog

I've been looking into small 9mm pistols for CC and am glad I havn't purchased anything yet. I guess I'll hold off a while and see what happens and get some feed back on the repairs. I'm in no hurry to make a purchase anyway. I still have my .40. Both the XDs and Shield were on my list of 4 I was interested in. :rolleyes:

mattamuskeet

HEY listen to this!

Today I went to fire my XDs 45 and the trigger was not reset. I had carried it all day and then when I went to fire it, the trigger was back. The chamber indicator was up and the magazine had 5 rounds in it. I dropped the mag and racked the slide and there was one in the chamber. I can't figure out how that could happen. My gun IS in the serial # range it is 663,000 something.

Maybe it has something to do with the recall???!?!?!?!?

Consort

Dropped my XDs .45 off a Fedex this afternoon. 23 miles to and 23 miles from the shipper. Biggest headache will be making sure an "adult" is home to sign for the package upon it's return. Sure wish they would ship to business addresses. I would just have it sent to my workplace.