Why? Why am I thinking about this?

Microgunner

It's the disease Mike, the insidious disease. Soon you'll be lusting after a Korth, then a ........:D

Last edited:
police positives are one of those hidden deals in the gun world. I am constantly frustrated by my 38 SW and the fact that I can't get ammo for it anywhere offfline, but I enjoy dryfiring it almost as much as shooting some of my other guns. The action is just oh so smooth.

MLeake

I only have one Colt revolver, and it's a 1917. Stiff DA trigger, and I am sure it is not the best representation of Colt quality, although I like it for its history.

(Edit: Added pic.)

Colt%2525201917%252520right.JPG

The thing I don't like about older Colt revolvers, though, is maintenance. Parts are getting difficult to find, and gunsmiths who will work on them are even harder to find - and one guy in the KC area charges $200 x hr to work on them... and people actually use his services.

Almost makes me want to go to school for "old Colt armorer."

OTOH, if you know of a good parts supplier, and already have a gunsmith you trust and can afford, then variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

I only have one Colt revolver....

Oh, that's really sad.

But I will say those N-frame Smiths are hard to beat. I love my M57's.

Maybe you just need to find that Nickel 4" M57.

Last edited:

thedaddycat

Why do you want a Colt revolver when you have all those Smiths? Because it'll make you appreciate those Smiths even more... lol For revolvers I have 4 Smiths, 2 Rugers, and 1 each of NAA, Taurus, and an ancient Belgian made break top. There are two .44 Magnums, four .357 Magnums, a .38 Special, a .22 LR and a .44-40. No Colt revolvers yet. I do have a Colt, but it's an AR (Sporter Target Model).

I was at the range yesterday with a friend, playing with the ARs, M1, Woodsmaster and Camp 45. When we got done with the rifles I got out the Taurus .357 and asked if he wanted to pop off a few rounds. There were some clay bird pieces at the 100 yard line and at first he questioned the range to the target. After I put a cylinder through it, he decided that it would be fun to try it, so he shot a handful of rounds, too. We never actually hit it but did hit all around it(within 6" or so) shooting single action one handed...

Hmmmmmmmm....... maybe I'll have to get a Colt revolver just to see what it'll do at a hundred yards, too.... GAAAAAA... it's a disease and it's contageous!!!!!!!!!!

Laker

I was looking at a couple of Colts and some Rugers. I got my new to me S&W 19-3 Nickel last Monday. I feel better now!

"Because they are purdy!"

Sorry, but I, personally, have to disagree with that.

Other than the aforementioned bluing, I've never liked the look of Colt's revolvers. I've always found them to be esthetically challenged, especially compared to contemporary Smith & Wessons.

The Python? Who in the holy hell would ever think to put something as ugly as a ventilated rib on top of a frigging revolver? :eek:

Hook686

There is no cure. Ninty meetings in ninty days is a beginning, but there is no cure. The Colt may be considered a 'Quick fix', but there will be no real saisfaction. I suspect you will then want another hit, and yet then another. There really is no cure.

I've got a total of 3 Colts, & only one revolver ( mine looks just like MLEAKE's )... a 70 series 45, & my favorite a lil 25 acp

you know the mechanisms don't compare to a vintage S&W ( or even a Ruger ) as far as strength... a nice Colt does have that refinement, as long as you can keep it in time ;) though

I think you're swayed by peer pressure ( the high price of a good Colt driven by people scambling to pay the money to get one )... I mean if your any man worth his salt you aught to have a Colt... shouldn't you ???

... & only you can come up with an alternative "fix" once you come to your senses...

BTW... GOT2.... nice Colt rack

22-rimfire

Other than the aforementioned bluing, I've never liked the look of Colt's revolvers. I've always found them to be esthetically challenged, especially compared to contemporary Smith & Wessons.

The Python? Who in the holy hell would ever think to put something as ugly as a ventilated rib on top of a frigging revolver?

Mike you forgot to mention those ugly full underlugs that S&W copied from the Colt Python.

But, we started with this...

Recently, though, I've been getting hankerings to get a Colt revolver. Something along the lines of a Police Positive Special in .38 Special or .32-20, or even a New Service.

Why? I have no idea. I've never cared much for now Colts feel in my hand, nor have I really cared for their styling.

Then, I think you should stick to S&W revolvers. If we are all the same in terms of likes and dislikes, it would be a boring world.

I keep thinking I want to try out a Taurus revolver, but my inner self keeps telling me... No No No..... So I can understand wanting to try something different even if you have to hold your nose when you buy and shoot it. :D

But then you might be making a business decision and that's different.

Last edited:

TheWanderingRed

Function dicates form. Also the new gun itch.

I’ve got to second “variety is the spice of life”. Never hurts to have another revolver around and the Colt looks like what it is. A service revolver, and there’s something sexy when function dictates form. At least to me. It’s like a HUMMER, no frills, all business especially in the blued steel. For my money I’d get a Ruger Security Six but if you’ve have to have that .32-20 (and I know the feeling) then she looks like a good gun.
BTW thanks for humoring a young man’s first post on your illustrious forum.

micromontenegro

I never quite "got" the S&W versus Colt thing- it's not like they are Mustangs Vs. Camaros! I have the same number of Colts and S&Ws and love them all, thank you very much.

But I would never trade my 68 Camaro, no stinking ponies here :D

"Mike you forgot to mention those ugly full underlugs that S&W copied from the Colt Python."

I do not, under any circumstances, recognize the existence of full underlug barrels, just as I do not recognize the existence of stainless steel.

"I mean if your any man worth his salt you aught to have a Colt... shouldn't you ???"

Uhm... no, not really. REAL men have Smith & Wesson 28s and 58s, 24s and 25s, 19s and 10s, and I have a felicity of those.

22-rimfire

The old saying…. God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal…. Or was it … but Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson made them equal?

S&W even calls grips "stocks" on their revolvers just like Colt.

I have to give a lot of credit to S&W for producing the Model 1 in 1854 which used their Number One Cartridge (22 Short). It was even viewed as a self defense load of the day. It started the development ball rolling which culminated with the 22LR in 1887 which is the most popular cartridge in the world. It happened in part because S&W saw great potential in the BB cap developed by Flobert in 1845 and refined it.

mavracer

I do not, under any circumstances, recognize the existence of full underlug barrels, just as I do not recognize the existence of stainless steel.
The Python? Who in the holy hell would ever think to put something as ugly as a ventilated rib on top of a frigging revolver?
And yet in spite of these flaws you seem to be otherwise highly intellegent.:p