Why? Why am I thinking about this?

I've been a Smith & Wesson revolver person for a long time. Some years ago I bought a Detective Special, but traded it fairly quickly on a Smith & Wesson.

Recently, though, I've been getting hankerings to get a Colt revolver. Something along the lines of a Police Positive Special in .38 Special or .32-20, or even a New Service.

Why? I have no idea. I've never cared much for now Colts feel in my hand, nor have I really cared for their styling.

Yet, here I am, trolling the auction sites looking for a Colt.

I think I may be going senile or something.

Shadi Khalil

There's nothing wrong with mixing it up from time to time. S&W's, with their accuracy, reliability and good looks, tend to get a bit boring at times :)

bossman

I'm right there with you Bro. All of a sudden I've just got to have a .32acp. Where this come from I have no earthly ideal. So it must be Divine Intervention. I suggest that you just go with it, you'll know when you find the right one.

22-rimfire

Probably because down really deep you still believe Colts are better than Smith & Wesson double action revolvers. :D

Many of us go through periods where we favor one over the other. I bought a Detective Special last year... just because, and I have no earthly need for it. But it's a shooter and I like it.

"Probably because down really deep you still believe Colts are better than Smith & Wesson double action revolvers."

Well, I know for a fact that that is not the case.

The ONLY thing that Colt did better than S&W was the polish and blue. No one could do a polish and blue like Colt.

glenncal1

Mike-I am a Smith guy too, but just spent a pile of $$$ on a Colt .32 OMT to round out the collection of OMT in .22, .32 and .38. This compliments my S&W K trio K-22, K-32, K-38. The OMT's are fine guns and I think cool with the adjustable front sight etc. Have you held a police positive, those frames are too small for me. You cant fight the handgun disease :)

18DAI

Because you already have the S&W revolvers worth owning, current production revolvers hold no interest, and you NEED a "new" revolver?

Thats my excuse. :)

what the heck happened to the message I posted here?

I think this is the one where I said that I'd not been to the Colt Forum...

But it didn't take, or was removed, or something...

weird.

aarondhgraham

It's because of the Cat Butt Theorem,,,

Why does Mike want to buy a Colt revolver?

For the same reason a cat licks his own butt,,,
Simply, because he can. ;)

Buy the Colt Mike,,,
It's not like it will burn your hand.

Aarond

shortwave

Simply put:
cause you are an 'ADDICT'. ...and once a gun junky, always a gun junky. :p:D

Besides that, it's hard to deny that old Colts are beautiful works of art.

mavracer

For me it's really really simple. I can't decide for sure which I'd rather have as my one and only brand of revolver they all have their good points and bad points. So when asked "who makes the best snub nosed revolver Ruger, Smith or Colt?" My owning a Detective Special, a 442 and a SP101 let's me know I have the right answer. :rolleyes:

Why? Because they're pretty good shooters, and it never hurts to have a bit of diversity.

The ghosts of DB Wesson and Horace Smith will forgive your trespass. This time.

Hal

Those little Police Positives could tempt anyone.
A .32-20 is just so at home in one.
I can easily understand wanting one badly...

I've been happliy married for over 30 years - but - if Kate Beckinsale knocked on my door late one night,,,,

dgludwig

One revolver configuration unique to Colt (and reason enough to have one) is a well-made, light-weight (16 ounces-same as a Smith Airweight) revolver that carries six rounds of .38 Special, which I'm sure you're familiar with: the Cobra/Agent.
Another Colt revolver that I will never part with is their Officer's Model Match/Special. My status as a long time Bullseye shooter casts a biased shadow over my preferences but the Officer models make for superb target revolvers (though no better than my equally treasured Smith K-38 Masterpiece).
After a lifetime of collecting/accumulating guns, I suppose at age 68 it takes something really special to keep the old fire burning. Nice revolvers do that for me, and Colts are certainly nice revolvers. Though, I must confess that I've been saving up for a Smith & Wesson Model 952...:eek: :eek: