Why not .30-30 semi-auto?

rural12

I have never seen so many "know it all" people in one place.

All threads on this forum are hijacked by experts debating amongst themselves.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
It seems to me there will always be a bit of a reliability problem for a semi-auto to feed rimmed cases.

If you go to something like the .30 Rem, there's the problem that for that power level and size of cartridge, the weight of the action will be greater than that of a Model 94.

As far as the AK round and the .30-30, it's not the power level of either that's the problem. They'll do okay on deer out to a hundred yards or so. The problem is the typical rifle with the typical sights: Not very precise. There is also the rather quick degradation in the trajectory for reliable clean-kill hits "out yonder". This last is more of a people problem than a gun problem; too many optimists.

Art

Shootrj2003

Sure this dead but I can’t resist,the Russians made very capable mg’s and semis with a rimmed round,and they could be 30/30 powered and maybe work very nicely,A 30/30 drugenov would be an awesome project and what a great deer rifle!

Butzbach

Not to mention the flat nose bullets for tubular magazines.
This “problem” was solved in 1913 with the Remington model 14’s spiral tubular magazine. While the OP’s Quixotic quest for a semiauto 30-30 will go on, he and others like him may find they prefer a trombone to a pump handle. The pump action actually assists the shooter in bringing the muzzle down and the sights back on target after firing. The model 141 (the 14’s successor) is a light, fast handling weapon described as “a rifleman’s rifle” by the American Rifleman magazine. It was available in the .25, .30 .32, and .35 Remington cartridges.

The climb is not worth the view when it comes to reloading the .30 Remington. The .35 Remington however is another story. The ballistic similarity of the 30-30 and .35 Remington is attested to in articles as this:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/6/22/head-to-head-30-30-winchester-vs-35-remington/
You’ll have to ignore the author’s reiteration of the tubular magazine red herring as he addresses only lever actions in his piece. Ya know, cuz they’re “cool.”

Butzbach

Sure this dead but I can’t resist,the Russians made very capable mg’s and semis with a rimmed round,and they could be 30/30 powered and maybe work very nicely,A 30/30 drugenov would be an awesome project and what a great deer rifle!
So did the British. Light and handy though? At least the bipod would keep a hypothetical 30-30 Bren gun out of the snow ⛄️ while you were gutting your deer.

Last edited:

wachtelhund1

Winchester model 100 carbine, .308 Winchester caliber. Excellent light weight deer rifle. I've used one for years and taken many deer with it.

On the other hand, in the mid 1980's, I had a Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62 X 39mm. Fast and handy, Ruger sold it as a modern 30/30. I shot three deer with it, two in GA where there deer are smaller than Wisconsin deer. That caliber was just barely marginal for deer. All three deer required second shot.

Can't remember when a second shot was required with a Win .308.

44 AMP

Staff
Why? It’s new to me.

The "why" is because when a thread had been inactive for years (or DECADES) any questions asked have already been answered, or never will be. Many of the people making comments are no longer here. Information, other than actual historical info will be out of date, and likely no longer useful.

We keep the old threads on file for reference, because many do contain valid historical information that remains valid.

When you run into something that interests you in an old thread, the proper thing to do is not bring the zombie back to life, but to start a NEW thread on the subject, where you can reference (link to or quote from) the old thread, and responses will be current and valid.

But, while I'm here, the answer to "why no .30-30 semi-auto" is simply no market demand. The rimmed case makes it slightly more complicated in a semi auto, but that is not huge deal as full auto arms firing rimmed cases have been around since before WWI and semis since WWII as military weapons. .303 British and 7.62x54R being the most common examples.

Why no russian semi action in .30-30? The did 7.62x54R, right? Yes, but if you can do it in 7.62x54R why do it for a less powerful round like the .30-30?

Existing semi autos are readily available in cartridges that surpass the .30-30 in all aspects, so people buy and use them. There is no demand for a semi auto .30-30 from the shooting public and generally speaking manufacturers don't produce products they don't think will sell well.

Feel free to start a new thread on the subject. Someone who wasn't here 16+ years ago might have something new to share...:rolleyes:

chadio

responding to old threads...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I have been on literally dozens of forums for dozens of years, and it is the same across the board. There is no correct way. Read below, you will see what I mean....

Someone wants to discuss a topic. They discuss a topic. Forum members and staff will respond one of two ways:

1) Do a search!!! This has already been discussed, AT LENGTH!!! Why are you starting a new thread!?!?!?!? (shame on you)

2) This is a zombie thread!! Everyone thinks you are addressing a current conversation! Why didn't you start a new thread!?!?!?!? (shame on you)

The key here is the threshold for tolerance of how old the thread might be. Is the cutoff: 1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc....???? Depends on who you ask. Just calm down and understand that this debate will live as long as forums do.

Pistoler0

the 30-30 and the 7.62X39 will never be the same because the russian round is loaded with 120-125 grain bullets and the 30-30 with 150s as a rule which means that though they may look the same the russian cannot compare.

if youve got some money kicking around buy a new short-trac BAR in .243 or if they make it 7mm-08 both are good rounds that pack a punch
This is not entirely correct.

Tulammo offers a 154 grain soft point load in 7.62x39mm (at roughly 50 cents a round) that is very effective on deer size game out to 150-200 yards, and is very popular (specially among the "prepper" community).

But yeah, lets move to a new thread (although I personally have a thing for necro-threads).

Ricklin

Only thirty thirty

I have my brides dad's old Stevens 30 30 bolt taken apart now in my safe, tucked away for a project day.
I like it because Stevens used surplus 30 cal machine guns barrels, it was an inexpensive bolt action.
It will get out and hunt again. It has likely poached more deer than animals shot legally, but they fed the family.

jmr40

The key here is the threshold for tolerance of how old the thread might be.

The biggest factor for me is that some of the information in the 1st months of this thread from 2005 are no longer true. A lot has changed since then and some of the arguments are no longer valid.

For example, a true statement from 2005.

the 30-30 and the 7.62X39 will never be the same because the russian round is loaded with 120-125 grain bullets and the 30-30 with 150s as a rule which means that though they may look the same the russian cannot compare.

But in 2021 this is also true.

This is not entirely correct.

Tulammo offers a 154 grain soft point load in 7.62x39mm (at roughly 50 cents a round) that is very effective on deer size game out to 150-200 yards, and is very popular

Butzbach

The "why" is because when a thread had been inactive for years (or DECADES) any questions asked have already been answered, or never will be. Many of the people making comments are no longer here. Information, other than actual historical info will be out of date, and likely no longer useful.

We keep the old threads on file for reference, because many do contain valid historical information that remains valid.

When you run into something that interests you in an old thread, the proper thing to do is not bring the zombie back to life, but to start a NEW thread on the subject, where you can reference (link to or quote from) the old thread, and responses will be current and valid.

But, while I'm here, the answer to "why no .30-30 semi-auto" is simply no market demand. The rimmed case makes it slightly more complicated in a semi auto, but that is not huge deal as full auto arms firing rimmed cases have been around since before WWI and semis since WWII as military weapons. .303 British and 7.62x54R being the most common examples.

Why no russian semi action in .30-30? The did 7.62x54R, right? Yes, but if you can do it in 7.62x54R why do it for a less powerful round like the .30-30?

Existing semi autos are readily available in cartridges that surpass the .30-30 in all aspects, so people buy and use them. There is no demand for a semi auto .30-30 from the shooting public and generally speaking manufacturers don't produce products they don't think will sell well.

Feel free to start a new thread on the subject. Someone who wasn't here 16+ years ago might have something new to share...:rolleyes:
See, you couldn’t resist either. Tag, you’re it.

JustJake

Why not .30-30 simi-auto?
Don't know what a "simi-auto" is, but if you mean a semi-auto ****y-****y, dat's wut the 7.62x39 is.

Chamber it in a carbine-size package, and you'll be good to go for clean kills on deer-size game out to 150-yds.

Especially if the carbine is a Ruger Mini-30, ... 'cause 150-yds will be pushing it just to stay within "minute-of-truck tire." :rolleyes:

TX Nimrod

…Chamber it in a carbine-size package, and you'll be good to go for clean kills on deer-size game out to 150-yds….. :rolleyes:

The poster below disagrees with you, but since this is a zombie thread and that poster is long-gone you can’t even debate him. Yet another reason to let a zombie thread die and to start a new one instead.

… Saw a deer that was shot with an SKS several years ago. I recall the young man saying the deer was over a 100 yards away. There were around 6 to 8 bullets in the deer. Some of them barely penetrated the hide. His cousin had to drop it with an old Mauser, 8 mm I think it was. Maybe it was the distance, maybe it was the ammo, but I don't think the SKS is a good meat gun. Just my opinion after helping gut and skin that deer.…