why an ar-15? pls explain the allur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technosavant

For example, a $70 DPMS free-float tube will be just as accurate as a $400 LaRue, but the Rambolistas just won't be as impressed with your choice..

LaRue doesn't make $400 free float tubes. They make full free float quad rail handguards, which you aren't going to find for $70 from ANYBODY. Sure, there's no reason to spend a ton of cash on a basic FF tube, but then again, quality quad rail systems all tend to end up costing the same amount if you want something that won't rotate, has an ovoid profile so it feels nice under your support hand, doesn't weigh more than it absolutely needs to, and has rails to spec so stuff actually fits on them. LaRue, Daniel Defense, etc... they all end up in pretty much the same price class.

And for the record, RRA tends to use Wilson Combat barrels in some of their rifles too (I don't think they do in the varmint guns though).

You might want to look into actual facts before you start tossing off comments about people being "Rambolistas." You're just tossing off comments dismissing things without actually knowing what you are talking about.

eldorendo

And for the record, RRA tends to use Wilson Combat barrels in some of their rifles too (I don't think they do in the varmint guns though).

You might want to look into actual facts before you start tossing off comments about people being "Rambolistas." You're just tossing off comments dismissing things without actually knowing what you are talking about.

Thanks for the edification and upbraiding! How about posting a link to info that RRA uses Wilson Combat barrels? You sure those are not just plain "Wilson" barrels?? I doubt if Wilson Combat makes their own barrels. I'd certainly hate to post in a public forum that RRA uses Wilson Combat barrels, if I didn't know what I was talking about!! :rolleyes::eek: Of course, if I didn't know the difference between Wilson Combat and Wilson Barrels, I probably would be one of those bloviators who doesn't know what he's talking about.;)

Let me remake a previously-made point. I was using the Rambolistas' favorite, "LaRue" as an example. A $70 fft will be just as accurate as anybody's fft, regardless of the number off Ramboista rails, etc., or price. ;) Is that more accurate? :cool:

Crow Hunter

Let me remake a previously-made point. I was using the Rambolistas' favorite, "LaRue" as an example. A $70 fft will be just as accurate as anybody's fft, regardless of the number off Ramboista rails, etc., or price. Is that more accurate?

If your only goal with FF rails is accuracy.

Who says everyone's goal is the same as yours? Not everyone is a "Fudd" like you, just like not everyone is a "Rambolista".

If your goal is to mount a flashlight and/or an IR Laser or a forward grip or mount your sling closer to the receiver, without having POI shifts, it is kind of difficult to do with a $70 DPMS without rails.

Sinlessorrow

$2200 of pure sexiness

IMG_0763.jpg

If you like to shoot at targets for groups 100 yards or longer, shooting an inaccurate rifle is no fun at all. AR's are one of the best values for an accurate semi-auto that you can get. Shooting 20 - 30 rounds at 200 yards and all are within 2 inches, all within 20 seconds is fun, in my opinion.

I you only shoot cans at 10 yards, then maybe the AR is not for you.

Newton24b

this is easy...

some people are well fixated on playing soldier. if the us army still used m1a1 or garands, thats what they would be buying. but since seal team six and the rangers lug around m16s, the 'army play along' bridage gets an ar.

some people do like it because you can switch uppers and change calibers.
however a boltaction is just better.

Sinlessorrow

newton i disagree.

every single force in the US uses the M16FOW, and most every SOF group in the world uses them as well.

also my 10.3" CQB-R clone prings 1.25 MOA at 100yrds using a 4moa aimpoint T-1(current only it now, that pic is old)

there is nothing a bolt action can do that a good AR-15 cant do, you FF the barrel and you can get the same accuracy as any bolt action there is. there are however alot of things the AR-15 can do that a bolt action cannot

RC20

All I can say is that I grew up in the Vietnam era amidst the disaster the M16 was on introduction (could htey have fouled it up any worse?). I always had the image of a piece of junk Mattel toy and never even handled one (not common unil ? and no reason to as not in my interest are).

I got to digging about the current offering, made a comment to my brother who brought hsi MP15-T over that I did not know he had bought.

Damned if it did not grab me. Nice, solid, deadly looking. Nothing like I had envisioned. It came at a point I had to give up my motor cycling and I badly needed something to replace it with, going back to shooting seemed like a fun thing to do.

I have gone onto buying an XCR and then a RRA ATH (I like the blend of tactic and a true sharp shooing gun that can also be used for SD purposes if someting starnge happens (having seen some of the destrucive flash mob stuff I do not diso**** anyting anymore and they are not going to do it on my street)

Pretty weird transition from total disinterest , but there is something about the black guns that can grab you and it did me (I could have gotten any target rifle)

HKFan9

If a bolt action is better.... why are you reading an AR-15 thread in the semi auto forums.... step down from your high horse.. and realize not everyone says the same needs from a rifle you do.

fext

OP: AR15 is a great hobby/plinking gun. Low and manageable recoil, stays on target so you can repeat fast, great for IPSC. Also shoots very flat and most of the clones have a nice consistency. And on range you don't have to worry about the DI system drawbacks.

There is some controversy about the round, but hunters report it works on game animals pretty good. Also for some wet and dirty environment I'd personally (and I don't say that this personal choice of mine is a rule) rather pick up some other gun with piston system (Garand or Stg44 pedigree) than AR15.

But for hobby shooting and competitions is AR15 a perfect choice and I personally hope I will never need a weapon for any other application but this. ;)

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
As far as the allure, I've often wondered how much of it is the basic American idea of not wanting to be told what's good or bad. That is, when the chattering class calls them evil and reality says it's not so, having an EBR is giving a "We're Number One" salute to the idiot claque.

HKFan9

I just think that the AR-15 is a simple tool, easy to use, and comes in many shapes and sizes.

You don't have to be a mechanic or a carpenter to know how to use an adjustable wrench or a hammer, I view my AR-15 like that.

I take it to work with me on range days, I use it for home defense, I use them for competitions, I use them for fun.

I don't consider a $1000 gun very expensive with today's list prices. Even still in reality, you can own an AR for much much cheaper than that.

You can spend 5x that amount on a nice precision bolt rifle setup, the scope alone if done properly will be worth more than my BCM carbine.

These days with work and what not, I hunt less and shoot more often, so bolt action rifles don't really cut it for me very long. Sure I have precision rifles, as well as some nice .22's to shoot tomatoes off the fence post with.

Really in terms of the grand picture, the AR-15 is an aforable, work mans tool. It might be more money than a WASR-10 or Remington 770 or the new Ruger American rifle... but honestly I don't buy that economy grade garbage anyway. Why can I make that statement? Because I see them coming back to our gunsmith quite regularly with problems.

What is the allure? I can make my AR15 be good for whatever needs I have without having to change platform/operation. There is a lot to be said for that. One size does not fit all, but if you gun is properly suited for modification like the AR15, you can make it fit just fine.

fext

the basic American idea of not wanting to be told what's good or bad
This must have been the very reason why to replace the old and obsolete stuff like M14 and 1911 with the new progressive technologies like M16 and Berettas. ERB's an EBR and anyway if giving the "We're Number One" salute happens not to be enough, one can still put down The EBR and pick up an EBR. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.