why an ar-15? pls explain the allur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_B

I didn't particularly want an AR15. I got a bonus from work, and I like to shoot rifles, so I wanted something that was shooting more common ammo than the M1 rifle or M1 carbine that I already had, and I wanted something with greater versatility and practicality.

I weighed my options and looked at parts availability, knowledge base, ease of maintenance, ergonomics, ammo cost, ammo availability, and weight. I decided an AR15 best fit the bill. It was a pretty clinical decision as opposed to my M1 rifle and M1 carbine purchases- I wanted those because I really like them, so that was that. The AR was a decision made with my head instead of my heart.

I picked out a fairly expensive Colt AR15, lightly used. Match target model, looks like an HBAR but its not. 5.56 upper. Picked up some 30 round mags.

It's light, easy to shoot, the ammo is cheaper than I'm used to, it's accurate and it's not fatiguing. Plus to my amazement shooting it is just plain fun. I have no need at all to change it in any way, which also surprised me. But if I wanted to, it's such a breeze to have the rifle fit almost any bill I want it to. I'm impressed with the concept overall, it feels right and works right.

For me, that was the allure and the reasoning for why I purchased one, as well as the reasons I kept it. It was overall my best firearm purchase, I beleive

Therealkoop

My favorite rifle is the M14.

But damn if the design and ergonomics of the AR dont crush it. They are cheap, easily built and maintained rifles that are accurate as well. The ammo is plentiful and cheap.

AR's are just awesome all around IMO. I really apreciate all the little details about it.

dahermit

When I shot my M1 Garand in service rifle matches (and Basic Training), it beat the living begeebers out of me. When I switched to shooting a Colt H-Bar in local matches, I began to shoot at the Master level. When I was in Basic (1962), shooting for record, I was shooting at the Expert level until the recoil began to catch-up to me. I fell short of Expert by five hits. That is what is up with the AR's...they do not beat the heck out of you, you can concentrate on the sights and not dread the shot.

BillyJack3

ARs are just a ton of fun to shoot. Easy to customise and tweak things so they are just right. You can compromise, but you never have to. Did I mention how much fun they are to shoot???

stu925

I'm no lover of the AR, as a matter of fact I don't much care for it at all so I wouldn't try to sell anyone on it. That being said I can completely understand the reasoning behind owning them. They're accurate, easy to work on and easily configurable to whatever purpose you have in mind. Want a target rifle, buy an HBAR, need a deer rifle, swap the upper out to one of the 6.5mm or 6.8mm cartridges. The AR is endlessly configurable which is a big plus in my book. I still don't like the design and don't particularly like shooting them but I completely understand why guys love them.

Stu

NWPilgrim

well still not sold on spending that high price to replace what i have and works for my needs at this time but thanks to all i do so enjoy a good discussion we all know ofcource (to each thier on) ... we (my neigbor and i) will be out shooting both his AR and my sks maybe that will sell me or maybe im just a old tight wad if i get a chance ill check back in with you all and maybe just maybe yall can get some "i told ya so's"

Nothing wrong with liking what you got. :D Especially when you have it already bought and paid for at probably a fraction of the current price. But if you ask for opinions on the internet, be ready to get them!

Auto426

The AR-15 has become the grown man's barbie doll. You can dress them up a million different ways and just about every gun and accessory company out there is making parts, complete rifles, or accessories for AR15 pattern rifles. Because of the large number of suppliers parts and accessorizes are relatively cheap and can be found almost everywhere.

Other than that they are lightweight, reliable, and accurate. They have an excellent ergonomic layout, allowing you to operate all of the controls without pulling the rifle away from your shoulder. Ammo is about as cheap as it gets for center fire rifle rounds that aren't corrosive surplus from Russia.

I bought mine because I like to think of myself as a collector, and I intend on eventually owning a variation of many different military rifles. I have an M1 Garand on the way and I hope to one day add an M1A and a PTR-91. The AR doesn't do it for me like some of the other firearms I own, but it's still fun to shoot.

Skadoosh

Other than that they are lightweight, reliable, and accurate.

I don't know about lightweight....my full-sized AR15 is pretty heavy. It weighs in at 9.0lbs unloaded.

img_1611.jpg

Achilles11B

I think one of the big draws for the AR is versatility. Put together a good lower with the stock and trigger of your choice and from there the possibilities are almost limitless. Set up a .223/5.56 upper with a red-dot for HD...then a .50 Beowulf upper with a low-power scope for hog hunting... a 6.8 for deer hunting...a 6.5 Grendel for distance work...or maybe another .223 upper with a longer barrel and high-mag optic for distance work...

See where I'm going? Lots of tools in the toolbox for a wide assortment of tasks.

Or, perhaps you're like me and just happen to like the AR platform. :D

Also, I used those calibers as examples and don't want to discuss the merits of specific cartridges. I'm not a hunter and have no problems admitting it, the ones mentioned were ones that others have professed success with.

Justice06RR

OP, i think part of it is you might be getting hung up on the PRICE of your friend's AR15.

you can get a quality AR from Colt or Smith&Wesson for less than $1k. A shooter can learn to shoot Iron sights and with stock configuration, then modify it based on your needs and use.

No need to convince you on the AR platform. Try shooting one or buy one yourself and decide. It is what our Military and LE agencies are using so you know there is a good reason they are a popular platform.

HKFan9

Generally when people don't have enough reasons to rag on the gun they complain about price.

I have a BCM AR and it is probably one of the more "cheaper" rifles in my safe.

I don't buy junk guns, I save up and buy what I want, what I like, and that's all that really matters.

When your serious about firearms, you understand the cost more, when your a weekend warrior, as 95% of my customers are, they go in to the gun store with a different mind entirely.

I am by no means rich, but I quite a bit of "expensive" firearms, I save my change, I set money aside every pay check, most importantly I'm still young and not married.:rolleyes:

scottd913

well like some have said there are alot of reasons to get the ar. and yes i started this tread for more than one of them. maybe one day i will get one i do have a chance to get one decked out bull barrel, optics, bipods and more for only $1000.00 from a cop family friend now to explain i didnt get my sks for target competition i got it for when the zombies come for urban short distance its great lots of knockdown power reliable and pokes big holes f
mj ammo is cheep-ish and will penatrate auto fenders and such as far as the cool stuff i have taapco-ed it out
1954 russian sks=$200.00
tapco stock= $80.00
20 round clips $100.00 @5clips
2500 ounds of ammo(fmj)=$480.00
total $860.00
zombie killing machine= priceless

tirod

Allure? That's subjective, much like trying to explain why one girl appeals to you more than another.

In the day, I didn't much like the idea of M16's at all. Initially they were new and cool, but that quickly soured listening to old school .30 cal advocates who were themselves relics from previous wars.

Tactics and hardware change to meet new challenges.

I grew to understand what the M16 was all about because I had to use one, even tho my personal rifles were "superior." I used them literally from one day to the next for 22 years in the Reserves, shooting the M16 one day, and getting off early enough to deer hunt late Sundays with .30 calibers.

To start with, self loading rifles are superior in shooting. You don't disturb the sight picture or move your hand from the trigger, you simply acquire another target and squeeze again. Bolts and levers don't let you get quick shots. They are inferior in the overall scheme of shooting. Magazine fed rifles have more ammo, again, reducing the down time otherwise better spent shooting. Large capacity mags do a better job keeping the shooter busy putting bullets downrange with fewer interruptions.

The AR15 takes it up from there by having less parts and simpler engineering that is more elegant, both of which contribute to being superior to manual action or piston guns. Extra parts mean more parts to break or malfunction, all of which contribute to not shooting. The AR dispenses with not only parts that aren't needed, but also reduces the number of stressed parts to the minimum, and has created a new standard in firearms construction in the process. The aluminum upper and lower receiver only hold the parts together, and have sufficient strength to be used as a lifting device capable of hoisting a soldier with full kit into a window. But - it doesn't have to withstand any of the forces of the powder charge whatsoever - that's exclusively handled by the bolt lugs and barrel extension screwed to the barrel. The receivers are never stressed with it, unlike almost all the other guns I've used.

Screwing the barrel extension to the barrel means no press, heavy equipment, or expensive labor is needed to perform the one task that is critical - setting the headspace. It's a micrometer like screw adjustment, and takes just a few minutes on a work bench. It's also so consistent and accurate that the AR 15 can be put together from parts made 1000 miles apart and it safely shoots. But- headspaced with it's own bolt, it increases accuracy more easily than the difficult and harder to perform methods of pressing a barrel into a receiver.

That receiver is a closed top with integral scope mount, and one accepted in a universally used system that can clamp iron sights, red dot optics, or even scopes costing more than the rifle itself. Eye relief can be set for it's most optimum distance, not a forced situation where the shooter has to conform to the rifle. That's called being ergonomic - having the tool fit the user, not forcing the user to fit the tool.

Another set of features are the controls - safety, mag release, and bolt stop, that operate the weapon along with the trigger. The AR doesn't force the shooter to remove the trigger finger to shoot - it flicks off with the thumb. If he empties the magazine, he then uses the trigger finger to drop the magazine while the off hand inserts the new mag and then drops the bolt to chamber another round. All this can take place in just a few seconds, all while the shooter continues to keep the sights on the target ready. You don't have move the trigger hand from the grip, lose the sight picture from being forced to move your face away from operating parts, or have the target simply walk out of sight.

Frankly, very few of us prefer to operate primitive cars on a daily basis, the majority sold these days have automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, even air conditioning. But - often enough, the Iphone using owners revere old antique firearms designs as if they are the epitome of the art. In fact, they are not, and never will be again. Modern firearms are simply better, more accurate, and easier to use. It's not about allure at all, it's about using a better tool, rather than deliberately choosing inefficiency or even clearly proven deficient engineering.

Nothing immoral about them, but a bolt action rifle is no better than a dial phone on a 30 foot cord. It has it's limitations, it can't hold a directory or even allow one touch dialing. Nobody much reveres that, and AR shooters don't necessarily prefer slow firing, heavy, inaccurate guns that impede what a shooter should be doing - finding a target and pulling the trigger. The AR is clearly superior to manual action guns, and that's the point - not "allure," or some other psychosexual distraction.

That superiority is exactly why most new designs for a soldier's rifle blatantly copy features that are part and parcel of the AR15 - because they are clearly better. The rifle simply helps the shooter to shoot often and well, and designs that incorporate those features are what are being adopted more often than not. It's basically a matter of window dressing the weapon so that it doesn't resemble the AR, all to get it accepted because it does emulate the AR.

The difficulty isn't with the guns, it'w with those who lack the understanding to see it, or refuse to because denial is more comfortable than admitting the truth.

eldorendo

Never did see the point in writing 1000 words, when 100 would probably do the job! ;) I used to own a Mini-14, but pretty quickly decided that I wanted to acquire a real rifle, so I bought my first AR...a Bushy A2 Shorty. Free-floated the barrel and added a JP trigger/hammer assembly. That was about 17-yrs-ago, and it just never fails. Plenty accurate and fun to shoot.

I've built several flat tops since then. They never fail, either, and they're tackdrivers. I never shoot my bolt varmint rifles anymore...should sell them.

Last edited:

BigMikey76

Why spend $2K on an AR?

Why do people pay the extra money for a Cadillac or a BMW when a Chevy or a Ford will get them around just fine? Why pay more for a 4 or 5 bedroom house when all you really need is 2 or 3 bedrooms?

Because they wanted it, and they had the money to spend. I am a bit of a penny pincher, so I can't see myself ever spending $2K on a rifle, but if someone else wants to, more power to 'em. We are all free to spend our money how we see fit.

Edward429451

Who could add more to that write up?! ^

It's not my favorite rifle. I have no urge to bling it out but rather like the Cinderella version. Full stocked and 20" bbl. The allure is in the logistics. To me, this the preeminent citizens rifle. Since the Military uses it ammo, mags, parts and support will be everywhere for a long long time.

This rifle is almost a flag of sorts. It is "The Black Rifle" and the world recognizes this as "The Americans". Present day Politics nothwithstanding, our boys that carry one of its incarnations have done a lot of good with this rifle, and saved some of our boys lives with it. So there is some Pride of owning at least one of these rifles. I'm an American, and while we are not perfect, we strive to do good. It says I stand behind my troops and my country with pride, right or wrong. It says don't tread on me. but mostly, logistics! :D

To me. Your mileage may vary.

eldorendo

Some kind soul PMd me that I'd posted that my Bushy had worked well for 17 HRS! :D I edited that to 17 years!!!

Some people spend $2000 on an AR, because they just don't know any better. If you spend the $$$ it takes to buy a Ferrari, you'll realize the value of your $$$, relative to a chevy, etc.

One of my best shooting buddies asked my advice about buying a decent varmint AR. I suggested the Predator Pursuit @ $980 from Adco. Another friend of his is enamored with EVERYTHING Wilson Combat and insisted that my friend just HAD to spend that $2500, in order to get a good AR.

My friend took my advice, and his RRA shoots circles around the Wilson Combat. You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for!!!!

For example, a $70 DPMS free-float tube will be just as accurate as a $400 LaRue, but the Rambolistas just won't be as impressed with your choice.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.