why an ar-15? pls explain the allur

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottd913

maybe its a fad or maybe its the best thing since sliced bread but i just don't understand. please explain why any one would spend that kinda money on one rifle.
this weekend my neighbor showed me his new AR he had built now don't get me wronge it was very nice .223/ nice scope /really decked out but $2K really??
i guess what im saying is you can plink or in fact kill alot cheaper and with tapco and such you can tack out almost any thing right?? (the cool stuff)
ammunition the cost it is ...the fear that the ecomomy colapsing....our need to stock pile ammo and at twice the price of 7.62 isnt a few sks or aks be easier on the wallet?

kraigwy

Why the AR???

When it comes to semis' I'm more of a High Power Shooter. Started out on the M1A, shot it for about 30 years and decided to get on the AR ban wagon.

Why? Because they are winning the HP matches. With faster twist and heavier bullets they reach out there keeping up with the 308s at 1000.

M1As in High Power are getting as rare as hen's teeth.

My "non" target AR is a Colt SP1, the closest non Class 3 I can have to the M16a1 I carried in Vietnam.

surveyor

don't know, other than he wanted to..nothing wrong with that

i also saw a 223 saiga with 500 bucks of conversion parts added to it (no optics) so it goes both ways..

my f class rifle is a bunch of $ tied up in a single shot, but i enjoy it..

i like the varmint ar I have, it makes good groups on paper at 300 yards..
and a ar platform works well for high power if you want to do that..

as far as ammo...

i find that as a paper puncher brass cased 223 ammo groups better than steel cased 7 62x39 ammo..

and 22 lr is cheaper to shoot than anything, but its not my first choice for targets at 300 yards..

Last edited:

scottd913

ok as far as the high power target compition i understand but alot of ppl that get the ARs dont do that they just plink around with it and for as much as 400yrds and less i can keep up with that easy with my sks.
lets face it the real reason MOST ppl get assaultish type rifles is because they are afraid of the zombies and if that does ever happen it will not be a 1000yrds issues it will be a close and personal issue im not trying to start an argument just pointing out if your sceared of armegedon the high dollar rifles combind with double the ammo price for the everyday shooter is it worth it?

please sell me on the AR i just cant convence myself

NWPilgrim

Why?
Accurate, reliable, configurable to many tasks and bodies, fairly cheap ammo and much cheaper to reload than 7.62x39, excellent ergonomics, winning at competitions (HP, 3-Gun, etc).

And it is the rifle used by our military for the last 47 years. Either guys were trained on it, or we enjoy shooting something akin to what our troops are using. Just as the Springfield '03 and M1 were popular for many decades (M1 seems to be making a resurgence too).

AKs are not that cheap anymore. About $500 for a decent quality one? When I bought mine it was just over $200 and AR15s were $700 for an Olympic Arms. AK mags were about $3 versus $5 for an AR mag that may or may not have been current GI quality. Now the AK is $500 and the AR is about $900. AK mags are about $10-$15 and so are AR mags.

If you hang the same amount of accessories off the AK then it will cost the same as hanging them on the AR. The AR just makes it so much easier. An optic is going to typically cost $300-$600. Replace the buttstock and rear sight with ones comparable to the AR and the AK savings reduces further. Some guys do get carried away with accessories but that is not the fault of the platform.

Bolt action rifles are not much different. Yes you can buy a $300 low-end model from various manufacturers and a $100 scope. But to get a medium level hunting rifle you will spend more like $600 for the rifle and $400 for a scope, which is already $1,000 for just a rifle and scope, no flip-up scope covers, sling, or anything. Get into anything specialized such as varminting, target shooting, or big game hunting and you can easily hit $2,000 or much more for a bolt action rifle.

Kayser

If you're comparing against other semi-autos : No out-of-battery slamfire is possible on the ar-15. AK, M1, SKS all have this potential problem.

Yes, the AR can have a slamfire. But it cannot have a slamfire without the bolt fully closed.

So, safety I guess.

Ridge_Runner_5

Easy to upgrade and change as you see fit.

ar_2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0831.jpg

These are all the same gun, changed with few if any tools, depending on my desires.

surveyor

to each their own, i'm not knocking either platform as i have had both..

this is not meant to be an ar vs ak thread..

but.. i was interested first in ak's..had a underfolder romy g, a mak 90, and 3 converted saiga's..

as far as plinking went it was fine, cheap ammo, relilable weapons all that..

but..i got bored with 3-4 moa..

the ar platform gives me 1 moa..i can concentrate on being a better shooter and enjoy it more..the stocks fit me better, i can get a better cheekweld..

i'm reloading so no big deal whether i shoot a ar or a bolt 223, they are both enjoyable to me..

yes i have a varmint RRA i like, as well as a stag carbine..
got the stag for 700 and the RRA for 800..

as far as a cheap plinker..for the same 20 cents a round, i'll grab the marlin camp 9..its minute of zombie..

Last edited:

sigcurious

ARs vary greatly in regards to price. Sure you can spend $2000 on an AR(before even adding an optic), or you could spend less than $1000. M&P Sports come in at what $650-700? Considering some optics alone cost more than $2000, and can be used on whatever rifle. It doesn't seem appropriate to consider that part of the price of an AR, so what did your friend pay for his AR alone? Would you consider that price more reasonable?

I'm pretty sure if you buy a few SKSs and/or AKs then trick them out with tapco or other aftermarket parts you'd still end up spending quite a bit of money. At least for me, I can only shoot one at a time anyway :D

That being said, why did I pick an AR? Basically what RT said(minus the scare factor). I know I can find replacement or upgrade parts easily and install them myself. I was able to pick the parts/features I wanted and assemble the rifle. In that process I gained a better understanding of how my rifle works, and as such will have a better idea of what to upgrade to achieve the desired effect. It's also a versatile platform, which appeals to me. Eventually, I'd like to add a couple different caliber uppers to my collection, giving me more options at the range.

Does that mean I won't own an SKS or AK? Newp! I'd like an AK also and maybe an SKS.

kraigwy

ARs dont do that they just plink around with it and for as much as 400yrds and less i can keep up with that easy with my sks.

please sell me on the AR i just cant convence myself

Come to one of my CMP GSM/HP Clinics and I'll show you.

Being a CMP GSM Master Instructor I put on GSM Clinics in addition to HP Clinics. The GSM has what they call a Modern Military Rifle Class which includes AKs ARs SKSs 'n such.

We only shoot at 100 yards for the Clinics and matches that follow. We always get people showing up with SKS's and AK's................once. They shoot a group then I hand them an AR and they shoot another group. They always show up to the next clinic/match with something else.

They do not hold up against M1s, M1As 1903s, 1917s etc. Don't believe it, just show up and see for your self.

If you want a cheap rifle that will shoot circles around a SKS, get a Mosin.

theunderdog1982

I like the AR-15 because one their cool and two you can deck them out the way you want. I don't think the AR is the best thing since sliced bread though. I like my other rifles just as much. I just think if you're American you should own at-least one AR.

Technosavant

I don't really feel the need to sell the OP on the AR-15 platform.

The SKS is a nice rifle- it's combat accurate, reliable, and generally inexpensive (less so now than in the past, but even so, a $300 SKS is still a good deal of capability for the price). Still, it's no AR-15, and I own both.

The AR-15 is more ergonomic, more accurate, has better sights (if you go for irons), has more ability for customization, has greater parts availability, and is available in a variety of quality grades. This is not even to mention the different calibers involved. You aren't going to shoot a .450 Bushmaster out of any SKS.

So why the AR with the expensive add ons? Because the buyer has chosen to buy it... he or she has decided the particular mix of advantages and disadvantages to the platform is acceptable and that he or she wants optics that don't lose zero and will work if conditions are not optimal. Maybe they are prepared for unlikely scenarios, but sometimes one may as well toss in another few hundred bucks and get what one REALLY wants instead of suffering through so-so gear. The gear doesn't make the shooter, but it's nice to know that any problems you have are on your end (trying to sight in an optic that won't hold zero is supremely frustrating).

Ultimately, though, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Just pick something that works and that you can use effectively.

scottd913

well still not sold on spending that high price to replace what i have and works for my needs at this time but thanks to all i do so enjoy a good discussion we all know ofcource (to each thier on) ... we (my neigbor and i) will be out shooting both his AR and my sks maybe that will sell me or maybe im just a old tight wad if i get a chance ill check back in with you all and maybe just maybe yall can get some "i told ya so's"

Beentown71

Shootability.

I have the AK's and SKS's but the AR is just so much more shootable. Better ergos, sights and trigger are a huge improvement.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Hansam

First look at these ads from Armslist.com. They're for an SKS and an AK/Saiga conversion. Check out the options and prices.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/398766/wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--sks-with-every-mod-imaginable

http://www.armslist.com/posts/34315...s-for-sale--arsenal-sgl21-61-w--many-upgrades

Now compare that to an AR type rifle - let's say the S&W sporter. That goes for what, $800? Add a decent optic (we're not talking Aimpoint or Eotech, just a decent scope like a Nikon of some sort) for $200 and you have a finished rifle for less than what both these guys I linked to spent on their rifles.

Now I WAS an AK guy. I loved aks and still love them. I own primarily AR rifles now. Why did I make the change? Currently the cost of AK and AR rifles have come closer and closer, to the point that the cost difference is moot in my mind. The AR is more customizable than both the AK and SKS, is just as reliable as an AK in most operational conditions now and is much more accurate than either the AK or SKS. Add on top of that the ability to support different cartridges with a simple no tool needed change while retaining the same controls and ergonomics of the rifle you're used to and its a winner in my book.

Aside from that they're easy to maintain and parts are readily available - and pretty inexpensively at that.

Now those are just MY reasons for having converted to an AR platform. Do I have anything against the AK or SKS? Nope. I still love those platforms. I just happen to like the AR platform more.

If you don't see a reason to switch then don't. Its obvious you're pretty enamored with your AK and/or SKS. I understand. I was that way before too about AKs. I used to argue with AR guys about which is better... face to face as well as online. Now I find myself one of those AR guys... Anyway go with what you want to go with. Its your money and in the end your gun. Do with it what you will and I'll do with mine what I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.