what would Dirty Harry pull

jhenry

Dirty Harry would carry a Smith and Wesson pinned and recessed Model 29 .44 Magnum. That's it. Nothing else. He would also be 82 years old and probably crankier than ever. I look forward to the film.

As to the Silvertip question, Winchester made .44 Special Silveretips only in a 200 grain variant, the .44 Magumn's came in 210 grain. Only the .41 Magnum's were 175 grain. I never really cared for any of them. I like my .44 with fast hard 240 grain lead SWC's, and my .41 with a 210 grain Hornady XTP at a good clip.

Bill Akins

Clinton "Clint" Eastwood, Jr. (born May 31, 1930) which makes him 82.

If he did the movie below, he would carry two 1917 S&W revolver's in a dual shoulder holster rig. Might even use the .455 caliber 1917's because their barrels were longer to get kinda that long barrel "Dirty Harry" feel. (Now watch, S&W 1917's would go even more outrageous in price than they already are, just like when Indiana Jones used one Lol).

There could be a "hail Mary" "last gasp" action film Eastwood film plot I'd like to see, that is influenced a bit by the films "Grand Illusion", "Zepplin", and some "behind enemy lines" types of movies.

In this last gasp, "hail Mary" version, that would be to Eastwood what "The Shootist" was to John Wayne, we assemble all the old western stars still alive from the 1950's and '60's. The plot is thus....Eastwood is a retired marshal whose heyday was 1875 when he was young. The time is now 43 years later in 1918. WW1 is raging and Eastwood's air corps ace son has been shot down and captured by the Germans and is being held in a "Castle Keep" type of prison (like in "Grand Illusion") and beaten and interrogated for information by a sadistic interrogator henchman of the equally sadistic monocle wearing German commandant (apologies to Eric Von Stroheim of "Grand Illusion") .

Eastwood is informed in Arizona of his sons predicament from a still active old officer friend of his in the Army, who wishes he could get our government to mount a rescue effort, but our government is too preoccupied with the war to mount a rescue effort. Since mostly all the young men are off to war, only mostly old guys are left at home. He leaves Clint telling him how sorry he is that he can't help Clint's son.

Eastwood assembles his old cronies from his glory days (who are the last remaining alive western stars from the 1950's and 60's) such as..... Ernest Borgnine, Hugh Obrien, Clint Walker, Ty Hardin, James Garner, Franco Nero, Terrence Hill, Clu Gallagher, and whoever else might come to mind that isn't dead yet or in a nursing home Lol. Anyway,...you get the picture.

An "Over the hill gang" but a still tough old buzzards over the hill gang. Old guys you wouldn't want to mess with. There is one young guy we will call "goggles" because of his coke bottle glasses that made him a 4F so he was unable to get into the army. But "goggles" is a brainy nerdy airship expert and he goes along with the other old guys in the gang as the only young guy with them on the mission.

Since the U.S. military can't rescue Eastwood's son, this old gang of fossils does it. They go by ship to France and along the way sink a German U boat with a deck gun on the armed Merchant ship. Then sneak behind the German lines and with "goggles" instruction, they steal a zepplin that "goggles pilots at night with them toward the German prison camp which of course is a castle. (I'm kinda influenced here by the move "Zepplin" with Michael York back in the '70's). "Goggles" manages to cut the Zeps engines and drift into position via the wind. ("Goggles" of course is a brainy kind of comic relief nerd that is endearing).

Goggles gets right over the top of the open court yard castle prison camp and the old gang rains hellish machine gun fire down on the guards. Eastwood and others in the gang swing down on rope ladders and with Clint using a S&W 1917 revolvers along with say Clint Walker and Hugh Obrien using 1918 Bergman snail drum sub machine guns captured when they stole the Zepplin, and with helpful fire from the Zepplin, they gun all the bad guys down and Clint finally makes it to the cellblock where his son is being held.

Since this is a "hail Mary" "Over the hill gang" plot, it naturally has to be the last of this type of film for almost all the old actors involved. So...what better way for them to go out cinematically than to die gloriously as they lived in their western heyday back in the 1880's. So just like in the movie "The Magnificent Seven", only a few survive. Perhaps Eastwood and of course his son that they rescue, "goggles" make it cause he has to fly the Zepplin out back to the Triple Entente lines (In WW1 the term "Allies" was the German side, the "Triple Entente" was the French, British and American side). and maybe Ernest Borgnine make it back. All the rest of the old gang die glorious deaths in meaningful way. So at the end maybe it's just Goggles, Eastwood and his son, and Ernie Borgnine who make it back.

Of course the film is fraught with speaking line homages to earlier films.
"Dyin ain't much of a living boy", "Make my day" and many many others that would be appropriate to a "hail Mary" going out film for these old movie stars.

Starting out say in the west in say....Arizona where Clint is a retired marshal when he finds out about his boy, with early cars and motorcycles mixed with horses and buggies, and some of the old guys still using 1873 colts in addition to 1911's and S&W 1917's, lugers, '96 Mauser broomhandles plus captured Maxims and snail drum sub gun Bergmans, with state of the art computer graphics (like in "The Aviator") on war torn countryside and the Zepplin and its flight, this could be a last gasp delightful romp that lets us see our western heroes one more time before they pass on to the big roundup.

Of course the high point is when the sadistic German camp commandant and his equally sadistic interrogator are confronted by Eastwood who sees how they have beaten his boy and Clint shoots and kills the interrogator first, then gets the drop on the commandant and in a homage to "Casablanca" Clint tells the commandant to get away from that phone where the commandant is attempting to call for reinforcements. He ignores Clint and proceeds to draw his Luger or '96 Mauser, as Clint says "make my day" and blows him away with a hail of fire from both his S&W 1917 double action revolvers. The commandant falls down dying still holding the phone to his head just like Conrad Veidt in "Casablanca". Lol.

We lose some of the old heroes on the ground and some are mortally wounded in the Zepplin by small arms ground fire over the castle prison camp and then also later by anti aircraft gun fire when the Germans spot the Zepplin on it's return coming back from the rescue toward the Triple entente lines. But like in the "Magnificent Seven", these beloved heroes of ours went the way they would have preferred to die, fighting for something worthwhile rather than looking forward to a bleak future of rotting in a nursing home until they died. Something very Viking and gloriously off to Valhalla about it all. Get me?

Eastwood, his son and Goggles and perhaps Ernest Borgnine makes it, and maybe one or two at the most more make it. But we have to have a glorious death for most of our old western heroes since their deaths signify this is the last time we will ever see them on film again. Oh yeah, Eastwood's son's fiance who is a sexy knockout, convinces Eastwood to get his old group of cronies to rescue his son. She goes along too, fighting right along with the guys, but stays in the Zepp along with "goggles" firing down on the Germans from above as the airship floats over the castle court yard, and of course her and Eastwood's son have a happy ever after.

And of course Eastwood himself rides off into the sunset without getting killed at the end. Or....maybe we DO have him get killed at the very end (like John Wayne in "The Shootist") while he saves everyone on the Zepplin preventing it from crashing from AA fire. Certainly the plot can be tweaked to anything we like. Maybe even ALL the old gang including Eastwood die gloriously and only Goggles, Eastwood's son and female finance make it, crash landing just over the Triple Entente lines to safety. Maybe have Clint die saving everyone on the Zepplin after being mortally wounded by machine gun fire from a German biplane, but only after he shoots down the German Fokker that was trying to shoot the Zepplin down.

That would really make it like "The Shootist" for all the old gang of aging actors to go out gun in hand like an old Viking with sword in hand (like Tony Curtis' Viking father jumping into the pit of hungry wolves with sword in hand in "The Viking"). But what a glorious way for our old western star heroes to go cinematically huh?

They would have just been middle aged if set in the Spanish American war, but WW1 is a more appropriate timeline era to match their ages. Plus there were more cool new gadgets by that time to have in the movie. No Zepplins nor 1918 sub gun Bergmans, or early cars or motorcycles in the Spanish American war you know.

The whole thing is kind of a..."The Shootist", "The magnificent seven", Wagnerian old Vikings dying gloriously with their swords in their hands as they would want to die.....kind of thing. A bit of like "old tigers are always most dangerous when they know the end is likely to be near" kind of thing from Connery in "The League of extraordinary gentlemen". Or...."I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was".

You might shed a tear for the death of the old western stars, but not grieve too much because you know they were old, didn't want to face rotting in a nursing home in a few years, and went the way they would have loved to go. So really, you are kinda happy for them. Plot development shows some of them have cancer, bad backs and knees, wives have died, not much left to live for. So when they die gloriously, you almost feel happy for them. That's the way to go! Probably wouldn't win an academy award but I bet it would be a sell out at the box office. Clint and the old 1950's/'60's western star's very last action movie. It would make a mint.

Just like they did for the "Wild Bunch", the SASS cowboy action crowd would probably even create a shooting category for the weapons in the movie! ROFL!

Wouldn't that be a hoot of a "hail Mary" Eastwood last action movie?

Last edited:

ClydeFrog

Longest forum post ever!...

I think Bill A's post above was the longest message I've ever read on TFL.

;)

BTW: I do want to correct my early post about the 175gr Winchester Silvertip HP. It was in fact for the .41magnum revolver line like the 657.
ClydeFrog

Rampant_Colt

W-W 10mm Silvertip is also 175gr.

A .44 Mag might be able to blow a man's head clean off, but a 10mm can blow a man clean out of his sneakers in a shower of sparks!

I'm sure a Delta Elite or S&W 1006 would get Dirty Harry's nod of approval.. ;)

Bill Akins

ClydeFrog wrote:
Longest forum post ever!...
I think Bill A's post above was the longest message I've ever read on TFL.

BTW: I do want to correct my early post about the 175gr Winchester Silvertip HP. It was in fact for the .41magnum revolver line like the 657.
ClydeFrog

Then you obviously haven't read some of my other long posts especially in the black powder forum. :D

ClydeFrog

The Rookie(1990)....

FWIW: Big Clint packs a semi-auto S&W 4506 .45acp as a tough auto theft detective in the LAPD, The Rookie(1990, www.imdb.com ).
His younger police partner; Charlie "Winning" Sheen had a 9x19mm pistol too(a 5904 or a 92F I think). Towards the end, Sheen pulls out a Styer(check spelling) GB 9x19mm. These pistols were rare in the US & held 20 rounds in the magazine.
Eastwood's police & LE characters used DA revolvers mostly. A lot of Smith & Wesson .357magnum revolvers(The Gaunlet, Tightrope, Bloodwork).

Clyde

BlueTrain

Not exactly a gun movie, but there was one that involved a bunch of old men being sent on a secret mission during WWII. The non-fiction book about the incident was "Last Charge of the Calcutta Light Horse," and the novel version was "The Sea Wolves," which was also the name of a movie. The movie used authentic old men in the major parts. They were in their 60s.

The story was about a German ship anchored in Goa harbor, then officially neutral territory, which was send information about shipping in the Indian Ocean. The secret mission was to destroy the ship, which was accomplished.

The Calcutta Light Horse was a British-Indian unit composed at the time of men too old to actually go off to war, although they were all veterans. The mission was so secret that no one received credit for their exploits until the movie and the books came out.

Bill Akins

BlueTrain wrote:

Not exactly a gun movie, but there was one that involved a bunch of old men being sent on a secret mission during WWII. The non-fiction book about the incident was "Last Charge of the Calcutta Light Horse," and the novel version was "The Sea Wolves," which was also the name of a movie. The movie used authentic old men in the major parts. They were in their 60s.

The story was about a German ship anchored in Goa harbor, then officially neutral territory, which was send information about shipping in the Indian Ocean. The secret mission was to destroy the ship, which was accomplished.

The Calcutta Light Horse was a British-Indian unit composed at the time of men too old to actually go off to war, although they were all veterans. The mission was so secret that no one received credit for their exploits until the movie and the books came out.

BlueTrain, I recently saw that same move for free online at 1.channel.ch (also known as "let me watch this"). The movie was the same name as the novel and was also called "The Sea Wolves". It starred Gregory Peck and David Niven. I enjoyed watching the old guys prevail even though a lot of them died in the mission.

Denezin

Hahahahahahaha cept Clint eastwood.
But back to topic. I could see him with the same thing. Why fix somethin if it aint broke?

Lost Sheep

Bill Akins said:
Wouldn't that be a hoot of a "hail Mary" Eastwood last action movie?
Nice script, Bill. Unfortunately, Eastwood already made his "swan song" move, "Gran Torino".

A passion play movie that I don't think any action movie script would ever convince Clint to get back in front of the camera for.

Lost Sheep

p.s. Don't leave our Charles Bronson. A friend of mine has always wanted to see Chuck, Charles and Clint in a movie together.

Deja vu

I think he would want a 500 magnum and may even own one but probibly not shoot it alot.

He may shoot it in the end to save lives.

his go to gun could be a 50AE in an automag (not a desert eagle). Or a Glock in 50GI. It looks big but really is just a 45ACP.

I feel that he still would use a revolver. may be a 460 but shoot 45LC from it!

bbqbob51

At his age and if he was brought out of retirement to help his nephew or he grandson as others have suggested, he would probably go old school and use his Model 29 44mag. I can see him opening his gun safe taking the handgun out, cleaning it and taking out back of his house which is in the middle of nowhere in the California desert.
He places a tin can on a log, loads up the Smith and Wesson with full power 44mags, takes careful aim and squeezes the trigger. When the gun goes off the muzzle flips up, he winces and drops the gun on the picnic table. He stands there shaking his hand and rubbing it and muttering something like "Damn! I forgot how much that f#@4%* kicks!"
Of course he missed the can by 2 feet and he squints at the can he was aiming at in disbelief he puts on his glasses and stares downrange to confirm his miss.
In true Hollywood fashion he does practice himself into shooting shape and the movie continue with is Nephew (or grandson) being totally embarrassed by him. He will have the current cops ridiculing him, calling him an old relic with an old relic handgun which of course would come in handy in the end.

SPEMack618

I like the idea of Harry putting down a Northside type perp who is wearing body armor and has ballistic plates.

That was pure gold with Harry walking through seas of 9mm brass, given his dislike of the .38 SPL, stating that it would ricochet off a windshield.