what would Dirty Harry pull

Hogtown

watched Dirty Harry again and got to wondering what pistol would Harry pull if the movie was made today,back then you know it was 44 mag(the largest handgun,so old Harry said).It`ll have to be a revolver (o.k. you auto guys he can carry D.E.50 in ankle holster). What do you guys think will comes out of that shoulder holster in todays movie.

44 AMP

Staff
Watch Sudden Impact, and you will see what Harry goes to after his S&W goes in the ocean, a .44 Auto Mag! :D

Today? Probably the .500, but maybe the .460 (shooting .45 colt ammo - after all, he shot .44 special from his model 29;))

ltc444

One I hated the Dirty harry movies for years. Every time I had the price of a Model 29 6" a new movie would come out an drive the price up.

Harry shot 44spl. Reason he had better control than a full house 44 mag or 357 mag. He explained this to David Soul after he lost the Pistol Championship.

10-96

Well he is kinda getting up there in years, I'd like to think he could at least still manage a Model 15, or a 14 for the long bbl effect.:p

ClydeFrog

SFPD, Glock, M&P .45acp....

I'd heard Warner Bros was considering a new Dirty Harry film. I also read of Hollywood productions of RoboCop, Lethal Weapon & Die Hard.
For a 2012 Inspector Callahan, I'd think he'd pack a Glock 21 .45acp with a fully loaded 30 as a BUG-2nd gun. Either that or 2 S&W Military and Police .45acp pistols(full & compact) so he could reload spare mags in either pistol.
The Lt John McClaine character in Live Free or Die Hard; www.imfdb.org burns thru a few .45acp mags in one of the first shoot-outs with his big P220R pistol.

CF

briandg

big gun, big bullet, modest velocity.

He would seriously consider a 10mm, I think. long slide commander in 10mm. He probably wouldn't go with a desert eagle. he never cared about not having enough ammo, he carried a full load and two speed loaders. he won't have a double stack anything.

I don't think he would change. the .44 special was exactly what he needed, and it was in the script. he's going to have to have magnum, it will have to have brand recognition among laymen, and it will have to be unique.

Keep in mind that back then, there wasn't a single cop in the force other than harry that carried a 29. You can be certain that now, just like back then, there would not be a single cop in his department using one. There probably aren't any actual street cops in america even now that carry a 29, but I may be wrong.

I think nothing will change, unless they just throw 40 years of harry history out the window. with the way hollywood works, he may be a glock fanboy.

Lost Sheep

ltc444 said:
One I hated the Dirty harry movies for years. Every time I had the price of a Model 29 6" a new movie would come out an drive the price up.

Harry shot 44spl. Reason he had better control than a full house 44 mag or 357 mag. He explained this to David Soul after he lost the Pistol Championship.
But he didn't "lose" the Pistol competition. He threw it. That gave him an excuse to use David Soul's character's revolver and collect a ballistics sample without arousing suspicion.

Lost Sheep

Walklightly

Well, he did have a 627 in a movie, an 8 shot revolver in .357.

What did "The Rock" carry in that one movie? That's it!!!

454 Alaskin 2.5"

Auto426

Well, one of the big taglines in the movie was "the most powerful handgun in the world". I would imagine that would translate into a 500 Magnum today, most likely an X frame with a 4" barrel and built in comp.

h518may

i think he would still have the ole model 29. however, he might save up and get something like... a smith and wesson performance center 629 v comp! i think he would WANT the 500, but he is getting up there in age, that might be a little much for even Harry at this point!!

KenL

He'd still use the Model 29, but there would be at least one exchange like Murtagh and Riggs had in Lethal Weapon--"a revolver, yeah, lots of old guys use them"

lamarw

He would pull out some fake 6 oz. stage gun in the style of the biggest hand cannon available, and the special effects crew would create the allusion or five or six shots being fired. He would chase the bad guy down in a sub-9 second hundred yard dash in a Hartz Shaftner & Martz suit and Allen Edmond leather sole shoes prior to blowing their head completely off their shoulder. The car would be a Crown Victoria proceeding at well over a 100 MPH on city streets barely avoiding school crossing guards to arrive at the police station and complete his report and hold a press conference. He would later retire (on a detective's salary) to some Island Paradise at 96 years of age with a 22 year old cutie having the ability to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch ball. :)

Seaman

Well Inspector Callahan is getting on in years, and it would take a plausible screenplay to bring Harry out for that one last case.

The gun, well that's a no-brainer, a S&W Model 500 snubbie, custom shop special with lightweight super-scandium X-frame.

"Now being this is most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you gotta ask yourself a question...."

frumious

Maybe he'd use a 44-mag Rhino, or (God forbid) a Judge :p

Also, he talked about the 44 special ammo at at the practice range, not at the competition. The four rogue rookies (although we don't quite know that yet) walk up and of them asks him what he shoots in his revolver. Harry responds "It's a light special load. Helps with the recoil." or something like that. I kinda wondered if that was just his range ammo, 'cause COME ON :D

-cls

geetarman

Seems to me in his later years Dirty Harry pulled a 1911a1 and Garand.

Two great scenes in that movie when he pulls the .45 when the dudes are hassling the girl going to the corner store( You just don't listen ) and again when he sticks the .45 in the face of one of the bad guys he has flattened on the ground ( If I have to come back, things are gonna get ugly ).

I don't have the verbiage exactly right but the intent is there. In that movie, you can tell Clint Eastwood has really slowed down.

I really hate to see that and wonder who will take over...

He is a classic and so was John Wayne. John Wayne actually tried to board our ship on our first Med Cruise in 1963 and the Chief on the Quarterdeck turned him away. What a story I could tell you about that event...however, not strictly gun related. so I won't.

Geetarman:(