What is your do it all pistol?

jstert

during 25 years of living in a series of gun-unfriendly locales: taurus m85, steel, j-frame, 5-shot, 38sp, 2” double/single action revolver.

snowbirding and most shot: ruger sr22, 22lr, 3.5” semiauto pistol.

out in the woods: ruger single six, 22lr/wmr, 5.5” single action revolver.

TBL004

My "do it all pistol" is the Sig 365 series. The P365 MS serves pocket carry duty. My 365X serves as EDC. The 365XL does HD/night stand duty. Essentially the same pistol but slightly different configurations. Personally have found the modularity of the 365 series works for me.

Last edited:

ThesNazud

I use my good ol' trusty Gen2 Glock 17 with 147gr +p Golden Sabers... Concealed, or in nightstand, proven it's reliability and still looks great despite the age.

Nick_C_S

686_2016-06-06_zps7xzuehpn.jpg

More of a "desert island" gun than a "do everything." 686 4"bbl. Bought it new in 1986, so I'm pretty comfortable shooting it.

stinkeypete

I see a lot of choices here that would be unethical for deer hunting.
I'm going with Bowen Perfected Hunter- Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Magnum

Any big game animal in North America, load down to light .44 Special for target shooting. Accurate enough to beat most guys at the club level.
Self defense? Its so good, I don't even need to carry it and I have never had a problem.

But the correct answer is "T/C Contender, if you can only have one" (see above) or
"That's like trying to golf with only one club."

But my favorite is my .32 H&R Magnum Single Six. It's just fun to shoot and I guess I have a shotgun that would put a slug in a deer just fine.

Last edited:

9ballbilly

For CC/HD I would have to say my "go to" gun is a Ruger SP-101 .357.

Camping, hiking, fishing I like my Single-Six .32 H&R mag.

44 AMP

Staff
The truth is that there is no one gun or cartridge that does it ALL, equally well. The Contender is close, being able to handle a wide range of calibers, but its not a repeater.

Everyone's personal preferences come into play, and a perfectly acceptable carry gun for one person is too big and/or too heavy, or doesn't hold enough rounds for someone else.

Probably why we have so many choices....

HiBC

[The truth is that there is no one gun or cartridge that does it ALL, equally well. The Contender is close, being able to handle a wide range of calibers, but its not a repeater.
/QUOTE]
True.
If we remove the SD carry pistol aspect, my 5 in Ruger SBH or 4 5/8 Lipsey 44 sp Blackhawk are well suited to nearly everything else.with a 45 ACP 1911 getting an honorable mention.

But,IMO,the most important role for a handgun (for myself) is SD, and a good all around compromise there is my Shield Plus.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
its all in what you intend the gun to do best.

The family sedan gets you there, the sports car gets you there fast and snazzy, but you can't put a cord of firewood in the back of either...:D

MTT TL

I like the first one, the Sig 320 Compact that the author wrote. Not too large to carry, powerful accurate, easy shooting, good trigger.

But more than that the Sig is modular. I can remove the internals (the "gun") and change every single other part of the pistol to do whatever I want. It can be bigger, smaller, longer/ shorter barrel, different frame size, caliber, magazine capacity, whatever. Last I heard there were about 500-600 different possible combinations, even the color. Most of the swaps can be done in less than five minutes. If that isn't the "do it all pistol" than such a thing doesn't exist.

jetinteriorguy

To me do it all means carry, target, hunting, and home defense. A nice quality .357mag with a 4” barrel can do this. Something like a S&W model 19, or a Kimber 4” target, or a GP100. Granted it’s compromised as less than optimal for all these things, but with practice and proper holsters can do them all quite well.

jonnyc

As I said way above, a .22 revolver is the only "almost perfect" all-in-one handgun. It can be effectively used for plinking, target shooting, small game hunting, self defense, home defense, etc. It might not be the most useful for any situation, but it would be adequately useful for all. And the ammo is both cheap and easily found.
Mic dropped...