What is your do it all pistol?

ChimpMunk20

I'd go with the service Berreta PX Storm. it's designed with no snaggable edges and has a good capacity. 9mm and .40cal.

kymasabe

My S&W SD9 fills many roles around here, is CCW, is bedside gun, truck gun, camping gun, range gun, etc.
16+1 of 9mm, Apex spring kit, and a TLR7, and it's been a great gun.

rodfac

I'm going to post a 2nd choice here after finding that I agree with many previous posters that chose a K framed, duty size .357. In my case, I have several but the M-66 Smith, a stainless steel beauty with a buttery DA trigger, makes the most sense. While we're at it, chose it with a 4 inch barrel too...that'll enhance the accuracy, & the weight will absorb more recoil; then learn to dress around it for concealed carry.

Simplicity of manual of arms: Revolvers rule in this category. Just pull the trigger. No magazine worries, no feeding problems, no 'limp wristing' problems if your grip is not quite right, no safety to engage/disengage etc. In most cases, new shooters will require far less training to operate the gun, but may/will require more to attain good/great ability. But for close in, 3-8 yard or less defensive shooting, a wheel gun'll do nicely.

Targets, and/or training with relatively new shooters....wadcutters at ~750 fps are easier to master while learning and lots of fun later on.

Night stand: .357 Magnum medium loads...maybe home crafted to the old 'FBI' standard of 950 fps...140 gr JHP's will shorten the recoil recovery time and give good penetration with out 'over doing it'.

Concealed carry: Replace the Smith target stocks with Jerry Mikulek's DA grips and load it up with 135 gr Speer Gold Dots of .38 Special +P persuasion, (great defensive loads universally known for their effectiveness). The Special's shorter case length enhances ejection and also makes reloading easier. And finally, their reduced recoil allows quicker 2nd shots if necessary.

Round the farm: Full house .357 Magnum LSWC's for unruly or sick stock that will also due for deer inside 50 yds with accurate placement.

Availability: Both guns and loads are found in nearly every crossroad gun shop except in times of panic buying.

Here's one on my son's hip...an ex-LEO veteren...in a rig we use often. And another in my usual carry position with Mikulek grips...a real boon to DA control and accuracy.

Best regards, Rod

Last edited:
There's a lot of guns I could pick, but the one I actually pick is an LCR in .38 Spl. It's so light I don't even know I have it on me and it fits in my pocket which is the only way I can carry with two small kids treating me like a jungle gym. It's the safest gun to carry and powerful enough. I may not shoot a deer with it but I guess I could. It's very accurate for a little gun and I've got a 3" to match that would probably be a better "do everything" gun but the little brother is just way easier to stick in my shorts.

chaim

If I was to pick just one gun to do everything (I'm not a hunter so we're talking home defense, carry and range in my case), it would be tough.

First, a disclaimer... I live in MD. Until recently, it was difficult for most people to get a carry permit here (if you weren't a cop, judge, prosecutor, or business owner, it was almost impossible). I have carried for a while when out of state on a UT permit, but what you can comfortably carry for a couple hours, or for a few days, may not be the same as what is comfortable day to day, every day.

So, I'm in the Glock 19 sized crowd (I don't own any Glocks, just using that as a comparison that most people are familiar with). In that category, my main choice (and frequent carry when out of state) is a CZ P01/PCR. Being an aluminum alloy handgun, it is a little heavier and thicker than the Glock though. So, it is possible that I would replace mine (and I love my CZs) with a polymer Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9 Compact M2.0 if I was actually going to do this. In fact, now that I'm about to have a MD permit (just waiting for them to process my application), I have finally bought a SIG P365 for carry, and I am seriously thinking about buying a M&P 9 Compact M2.0 or Glock 19 to compliment the SIG 365 and CZ P01 and PCR (I may trade the P01 on it since I don't really need both the P01 and PCR). If it turned out that that is just a little large on a day to day basis, my older (1st gen) S&W M&P 40c is fine at the range (especially with extended 15 round mags with a sleeve), so that or a Glock 26 with the larger gun's mag may become the choice.

Luckily, most of us who have been shooting more than a few years don't need to make such a choice, but there is a reason a Glock 19, CZ PCR/P01, SIG 320 Compact, S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, etc. are great recommendations for a first gun. They are the modern version of the venerable 3" or 4" K-frame revolver, large enough to serve as a service weapon, small enough for carry.

Last edited:

dstryr

It comes down to what we own and what we put our faith in. Primarily I carry P229 Legion .40. Occasionally an FN 509 Compact with extended mag. They're both super reliable, fit my paws and I shoot them well.

P Flados

Like many others have noted, "do it all" is very subjective.

I do not carry.

I do not feel I need a handgun for self protection.

I do not hunt anymore.

I mostly shoot for the fun of it.

I do have one application that is more demanding. I have two guns that are suitable for knocking down rams at 200 meters. The Dan Wesson 357 Maximum IHMSA special is just huge and is not really fun for casual shooting. A TC Contender on the other hand does pretty good for fun shooting. This is with a variety of the barrels I have for it.

So I guess my "do it all" would be the TC. And if I ever do go hunting again, I have many great barrels for this purpose.

Last edited:

SR420

I do all pistol is the one I can get to when I need a pistol to do pistol things.

It's that simple.

CZRex

My go to gun would be either my CZ PCR or Springfield Mod 2 9mm 4". Both can be carried all day with ease. Both are dead on accurate and have good ergonomics. Both FEEL really good in my hand.

Smaug

If I had to pick one for that role >

> I'd pick my 3" Ruger SP-101 in 357 Mag.

It's a little small (capacity-wise) for home defense, but I have the laser grip on it, so no biggy.

It's a little big & heavy for CC, but doable with the right holster.

As it stands now, it is my home defense gun, as my current lock box won't fit a bigger gun and my wife can shoot it with some confidence.

The weather is getting cooler up here, so I occasionally carry it, but it's heavy enough that I feel like I need a proper gun belt for it, as opposed to the LCR and P365 I normally carry.

<tangent>The long-term plan is to work on the S&W 19 to get it reliable and use that for the home defense gun (wife's favorite; +1 round compared to the SP-101) and I like the LCR best for a CCW.</tangent>