What is your do it all pistol?

Bob Willman

Apparently being more financially restrained than most folks here, my Springfield XDs .45 purchased 7 or 8 years ago is it. I do have guns for hunting kept in the safe, but if they become necessary for home defense the situation has become a very serious.

NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle

Most days it's my Glock 19 w/ the Grey Ghost Precision V4 slide and Trijicon RMR. Mainly because of the RDS. Or the Glock 19M.

But I've also carried the Glock the 34 MOS with the Steiner MPS a few times.

So if I had to pic absolutely one, I guess it'd be the GGP Glock 19.

I have two other 19s who are also mates (they're Gen 3 and the same setup. Irons on one with a Sonoran Defense laser stippled frame and Trijicon RMR on my RTF2)
eec89fb4c93c655d5898fab38be446c8.jpg
e014fcfc8c044fcebb4ca58084d384bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sigkid79

Mine is a Springfield Armory XDs Mod 2. While out, I carry in a 7+1 figuration. At home, I switch to my 9+1 configuration.

jmhyer

I think the P365XL is my most versatile. It's my EDC of choice with 12+1. When home, I can quickly swap mags to make it 15+1 with the 12 round mag as an extra. Plus, it's the only pistol I currently have that has a red dot (Holosun 407k-x2), which I have come to love and appreciate. It's fun at the range. And, where I live, it would easily handle any 4-legged nuisance or food-source critters.

toc

S & W 915. Shoots everything that I run through it. Hunted almost everything up to deep size game with it and is in my car, nightstand or on my person almost all days. over 40 years.
Just my opinion.

shafter

Currently I would say my Glock 48 or Sig P320 X Compact could fill ccw and home defense pretty solidly, and still be comfortable.
/QUOTE]

I would be inclined to agree about the Glock 48. Much easier than the Glock 19 to conceal and if you switch magazines you get almost the same capacity from a single stack with the same sight radius. With quality hollowpoints or Buffalo Bore's 9mm outdoorsman load I'd feel comfortable going against anything I'm ever likely to.

Geezerbiker

For me it depends on what part of the house I'm in for a home defense weapon. At apposing ends of the house it's one shotgun or another. In the middle of the house is my 9mm S&W gen 1 shield...

I'm very thankful the only home defense I've ever needed was an air rifle used to teach a deer a lesson about eating my garden... :D

Tony

Spats McGee

Administrator
I've used my CC gun as my HD pistol for a long time. First it was the 1911, then whatever I had for CC, and now my Shield Plus. At indoor distances, and in an HD situation, I don't think I can really take advantage of the better accuracy of larger pistols.

Drm50

I just got some 1911s in last few years. The need for SD pistol closed in on me. Although I have a butt load of handguns, almost all S&W revolvers I had no practical carry piece. So only trusting S&W revolvers and Colt 1911, I went with 1911. Got carried away and ended up with more than I needed. Now reduced to three.
My carry gun is Commander LW 45, stock. The flat nature of 1911 makes it better CCW than a revolver. Ended up with another Commander I can’t put down. BoMar sights and match barrel, shoots better than a couple Gold Cups I’ve shot recently ( series 80 ) I would just keep it for CCW but don’t need target gun for that. 3rd is stock original series 70 like new.
Will be trading it off, all I had were series 70 or Commanders of 1970s vintage.

zeke

If it absolutely had to be just one for carrying and home dense, it would be the kimber 3 in ultra. While i upsize in cooler/colder weather, prefer the smaller size for summer clothes.

If i was still working and more concerned about being "made", it would be the 45 xds, which is what i carried for years at work.

44 AMP

Staff
I'm going to focus on the "do it all" part of the question, and not on "do some things really well" which most people are doing.

For a "do it all" pistol I would chose the T/C Contender. Because, with calibers from .22LR to .45-70, it will truly "do it all".

What it will not do, is "do it all really well".

NOTHING DOES.

Which is why I have more than one type and class of handgun. So I have something that will do everything I need, or want to do, well.

No, I would not choose a Contender as a carry /self defense gun (though if it were all I had, I would use it), just as I would not choose a 9mm service class pistol to hunt big game, or as my choice for small game or pest removal. It certainly could work, but since I have other, better choices, I would choose one of them.

jonnyc

Most of my handguns are available for home use, but the smaller ones (43X, Beretta M71, CZ82s, Sig 228) cross over to carry sometimes. My truly "do everything" guns are my Beretta .22s and S&W 317 .22.

Blue Duck

Wow! I don't know if there really is such a thing. It's going to have to be a heck of a compromise. As far as handguns go, anymore. Self-defense is my number one priority. It must be concealable but then again, I can conceal a fairly large gun, maybe not that comfortably, but doable.

However, I would immediately rule out all of the tiny pocket guns, and mini nines, and while I like my J frame 38's and my 9mm Shield, I would still want more gun.

For me it comes down to probably a Glock 19X 9mm or Colt Lightweight Commander in 45acp, maybe even a Glock 22 in 40 cal. Those are my 3 main carry guns. But I do have a Beretta M9A4 9mm which is growing on me and is currently in the shop, getting a bunch of Wilson Combat upgrades, including trigger, hammer, spring kit, and single side decocker-only, installed, and I am getting that darned threaded barrel cut off and recrowned. It just might become a main carry when I get it back, after acquiring a good holster or two for it.

But then again if it has to be my only gun, I might just opt for my Wilson Combat 5-inch gun, 1911, 45acp, which has a long and proven track record of extreme reliability with me, but that's mainly because I have owned it for many years. Really, the main downside to it is it's fairly heavy, but not so heavy that I would rule it out, and it's still very concealable in a Milt Sparks IWB holster.

The only bad thing is all of those semi's throw their brass cases all over the place, and I do handload, and if I can only afford one gun, I might be poor enough that I would need to reload my empty cases, plus I like the flexibility of tailoring my loads, which temps me to choose a revolver, in .357 mag or 44 mag. This would bring me around to a Smith and Wesson K frame size gun, or Ruger Blackhawk, or Model 29 Smith with a 4-inch barrel. And that brings me around to considering my second-generation Colt .357 peacemaker with a 5.5" long barrel. It has an action job with a superb trigger and is very accurate and the sights are well regulated. It's not really that heavy and could still be concealed and capable of handling most any reload I would want to stuff in it, from 38 special to reasonably heavy .357 Keith semi-wad cutters, or hollow points.

I can't choose, but I could get by with most any of the above, I might not be really happy, but I would still be well armed.

Last edited: