What I Don't Like About Glock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

5whiskey

Could you provide details here? How many Glocks? Which ones? Were any modified in anyway from OEM? etc.

Question wasn’t directed at me, but I can attest that I’ve seen a couple of Glock failures. I’m in law enforcement at a 50 man agency. I have shot with everyone there for years. While we carry sig P227s right now, almost everyone qualifies with an off duty pistol or two. I’ve seen a G23 and a G30 of friends have failures. The G30 was brand new, first day out. I didn’t really hold it against the pistol as compact 45s shouldn’t be judged until a 200 or so round break in, IMO at least. Can’t remember if the owner worked it out or not. The G23 started stove piping at least once a mag. An extractor spring solved that iirc.

FWIW, I’ve seen countless other glocks run without a hiccup. The point is they don’t have mythical power. They can and do fail.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I could make good money betting that the handgun in any ND is a Glock or another clone with a Glock-style trigger against all other gun models.
Probably not the way you mean.

Based on this poll, the single biggest cause of unintentional discharges is from a person INTENTIONALLY pulling the trigger (dryfiring) a gun they believe to be unloaded. This is a cause (and a problem) that is totally independent of gun model, and solely user related--and it will remain that way until someone comes up with a gun that can tell when a user wants to dryfire an unloaded gun and when they want to fire a loaded gun and prevents one while allowing the other.

Now, on the other hand, it is true that the Glock style trigger is on a lot of popular guns, and that means, that all else being equal, a lot of unintentional discharges will happen with that type of guns simply because there are a lot of them out there.

TunnelRat

the single biggest cause of unintentional discharges is from a person INTENTIONALLY pulling the trigger (dryfiring) a gun they believe to be unloaded

This has been the truth of stories in my area locally.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I don't think anything in the world inspires as much awe or loathing as a Glock . . . unless it's a 1911. I'll start by echoing what somebody else said: I didn't like Glocks. I didn't want to like Glocks. And I spent about 30 years in that camp.
Since the last thread about Glocks got closed before I could respond, I just wanted to explain three reasons why I personally find my Glock 17 to be one of my least favorite guns. Still, however, a gun that I keep and use.

1. I am not comfortable carrying a handgun with a relatively light trigger pull, with one in the pipe without an external safety that I can manually manipulate. I've been a gun-owner for many years and have owned, shot and carried many guns. I've heard all of the "safety" retorts, such as "the only safety you need is your finger, etc." Sure, some people train relentlessly with their Glock and they fee comfortable carrying it. No problem there, it's just not for me.
All I can say is, "fair enough." If you want a manual safety for carry, there are plenty of good options that have them. I carried a 1911 when I first started carrying and it took me a while to get used to the idea of carrying a pistol without a thumb safety.
2. I am not nearly as accurate with my full-sized Glock 17 as I am with a number of other 9mm's which are mostly steel. I am a much better shot with my CZ 75B, S&W 659, old Steyr GB, Hi-Power and a number of other older 9mm's than I am with my Glock.
I'm a better shot with my 1911 than I am with my G19, too. When I want to make little groups, I take it out. When I suit up for the day, I . . . . grab my S&W Shield, quite frankly. But I used to grab my G19 every day.
3. The Glock's trigger out of the box is not what I consider to be a good trigger. I completely understand the mechanics of the Glock, have tried systems to improve the trigger, but I just never liked the pull or feel of the trigger. I especially do not like the trigger-dingus safety.

Having said that, I do acknowledge that my Glock 17 has been a very durable and completely reliable gun. I've owned it for decades now and have put many rounds through it. While I wouldn't get rid of it, I have never felt the urge to purchase another one.
I'm something of a heathen when it comes to triggers. :eek: Honestly, my G19's trigger was decent* right out of the box, so I haven't even tried to improve it. I "get it" that there are better triggers than a Glock trigger, and I certainly shoot my 1911 better. BUT . . . . . My G19 trigger is acceptable for SD work and I shoot it with reasonable accuracy.

Off-the-shelf Glocks are neither target guns nor race guns. They're ugly, but they're workhorses, by and large. Can they fail? Sure. Anything mechanical can. My G19 has had a few hiccups, but nothing major. One slide lock spring broken at ~400 rounds. A few failures to feed or eject probably <10, mostly ammo or mag related. Admitting this on a certain other forum (which shall remain nameless) made the 'residents' of that forum absolutely apoplectic, whereupon they shrieked that I was either a liar or had gotten one of the extremely rare lemons that Perfection ever produced, and virtually demanded that I sent it back to the factory. I've got ~2K rounds through her, and by and large, she runs like a top. I consider 10 failures, with identifiable, avoidable causes to be acceptable in 2K rounds.

Skans doesn't like Glocks. Sounds to me like there are better choices out there for him.

* = By "decent," I mean that I've had a few other shooters ask me if the trigger on my G19 was an aftermarket trigger.

pblanc

It may not be a malfunction in the more common usage of the term, but my Gen 4 Glock 19 has sent more than a few spent cases back into my head and face in its time.

It seems to be smoothing out a bit now with age, but the BTF issue is certainly something that various generations of various models of Glocks have been known for, and it is definitely not a characteristic of "perfection".

Glocks obviously work very well for many people. But one of the things I like least about them is the umbrage taken by Glock aficionados at the suggestion that they might not be the ideal pistol for everyone, and their insistence that anyone for whom they are less than ideal simply does not know how to shoot, that any type of malfunction whatsoever is clearly a result of "limp wristing" or some other shooter error, and that they have always been perfect and that any modification or revision that has been made by Glock has simply made them more perfecter. Or is it most perfectest?

Skans

So it's a thread about his preferences in handguns. It's not about Glocks being poor guns, it's about why he doesn't like them. Others have added to that.

That's exactly right. In fact, I've never sold the one Glock (Glock 17, 2nd Gen) I do own, because it is so darn reliable, rugged and virtually maintenance free. I did install a Ghost trigger system; made sure every part was well polished and it did make the trigger a bit slicker - but it did nothing to eliminate the take-up which I never much liked. In fact, my Glock's trigger actually feels slicker than my old da/sa S&W 659 which really does have a "gritty" trigger, but I shoot better with that heavy 659, despite all of its faults. Will I carry the 659? Heck no! I rotate between a Boberg XR9-S, a Diamondback DB9 (:eek:oh, don't worry, I'm not going to even try to convince anyone that a DB9 is better than a Glock, it's just easy as heck to carry) and I sometimes carry an STI LS40.

All I can say is, "fair enough." If you want a manual safety for carry, there are plenty of good options that have them. I carried a 1911 when I first started carrying and it took me a while to get used to the idea of carrying a pistol without a thumb safety.

My problem is that I'm just not as accurate as I would expect to be with the Glock (as I am with other guns) given the amount I have shot it in the past; and I'm not personally comfortable with the Glock safety system with one in the pipe. That's just me, I know. I'm just resolved myself to knowing I prefer DAO or SA with a safety for carry.

To all the horror of Glock owners I'm sure, I sort of wish some of the smaller Glocks came with a thumb safety.

Last edited:

tipoc

I actually like Glocks but not that much. I like the idea of them. I've owned 4 G19s and one G17. I've owned a G22 and two G23s. This over about 20 years. I shot them all extensively. I like the idea of them. I'll get another G19 (I currently have none as I traded my last one away 4 months ago) and I will get a G26, the subcompact and maybe try that against my excellent S&W Shield in 9mm.

The thing is I like the idea of the G19 more than the reality of it. I figure this is because I don't shoot them as well as other guns. This is due to the grip shape. Not the grip angle, I overcame that soon enough by adapting. The blockish shape does me no good. The guns also slip and flex too much in my hands, especially if my hands are sweaty. My middle finger rubs too much against the bottom rear of the trigger guard.

These issues can be addressed. Skateboard tape, stippling, Robarizing, etc. "Magna-Port" the barrel and slide to reduce recoil, etc. This and more adds to the cost of the gun.

The stock trigger is not great but I can work it. If it really bugs an Apex trigger is available, as are others.

I can work with the stock plastic sights.

One day I may do this G19 and the G26 and form them to my needs.

I found the guns in 40 S&W not so useful and I avoided that caliber for a number of years as a result. A friend advised me to try the Sig P229. I ran across a used one from the 1990's with a spare barrel in .357 Sig and I haven't looked back.

In Calif. where I live we do not get the Gen 4 or 5 guns. I've seen them but have not worked with them. Neither do we get the S&W M&P series other than the Shield.

tipoc

adamBomb

1. I am not comfortable carrying a handgun with a relatively light trigger pull, with one in the pipe without an external safety that I can manually manipulate. I've been a gun-owner for many years and have owned, shot and carried many guns. I've heard all of the "safety" retorts, such as "the only safety you need is your finger, etc." Sure, some people train relentlessly with their Glock and they fee comfortable carrying it. No problem there, it's just not for me.

This is why I won't carry a glock. Add an option for a safety, which they do for the military, and you have a gun I would buy.

Targa

I have only owned one Glock and their really wasn’t a thing I disliked about that gun, it just did everything well. I did get rid of it due to it being a double stack and just a bit to wide for me to IWB carry, this was before the G43. I am toying with the idea of replacing my S&W 642 with the 43.

dannyb

My biggest complaint about the Glock was the slide release and having to hold back the slide while pulling down the release and then letting go. Then I read about expanded slide releases and installed one on my Gen 2 17. Things got much better. I still prefer a takedown system that doesn't require holding things down, punches, or similar obstacles to somebody with a few extra years and arthritis, but this is now at least reasonable for me and gets range time as a result. I would still not recommend this make for people with arthritic hands and decreased hand strength.

USNRet93

"My biggest complaint about the Glock was the slide release and having to hold back the slide while pulling down the release and then letting go."

Sorry, could you explain what you are talking about?
Same..the 4 glocks I regularly shoot..42/43/17/19...I can release the slide on all of them with my RH thumb, easily, even tho it's a poorly repaired, dislocated thumb(thanks USN docs)..

IdaD

The lack of an external safety option and the grip angle kill Glocks for me, and the standard sights are a joke. I still think they're really good striker fired handguns, they just aren't my cup of tea.

Winny

I always preface my opinion on Glocks with "I'm in the minority here and you shouldn't listen to me, but..."

I hate the damn things.

They are perfectly fine guns, and they sure do work. Aftermarket parts are readily available, and they come in a wide range of sizing and caliber options.

All that said, I can't shoot them worth a damn. The grip and trigger just kill me. I'd trust my life on a glock, sure. But I dont enjoy shooting them one bit.

fisherman

Glock not as perfect as it is made out to be.

After reading the first post that was closed for whatever reason (I don't know), I can only say this. Glock makes an excellent hand gun which is much appreciated around the world. But before we project it to the gold medal stand in shooting history lets consider the original style luger 9MM, the navy colt 45, the Browing 1911's, and the 9mm german machine guns that fought in world war I and world war II. Certainly there is something to be said about these weapons. With no disrespect to the previous (closed) post about the Glock being the ONLY pistol to use in battle I must disagree. His narration sounds a little suspect to me because most folks that actually witnessed or were in close quarters defense of our nation do not discuss it publicly. They did their job in the military and come home to live a different life than the combat missions they were in. My gut reaction is he could be named "walking eagle". Old indian name for bird so full of sh** it can't fly, only walks. Just my two cents. I own and shoot, Rugers, Taurus, and Berretas and I love them all and I carry concealed 24/7. I also know friends who have failures with new Glocks out of the box as well as all the others.

Skans

A $600 gun shouldn’t have delicate plastic sights. Everything else is just about perfect

My 2nd Gen Glock 17 came with Trijicon sights. As I recall, I thought I purchased it new and these were an option???

Nanuk

I am a late convert. I never really liked them until I was retiring and spent the day at the range with the Glock LE rep.

I have a gen 2.5 31C that I bought used and have carried about every day for the last 8 years. I also shoot it in IDPA. I have an aftermarket 9mm barrel, and a factory ported 40 barrel.

I was not real happy with the way it fit my hand so I made it fit. Grip re-contour/stipple and built on a beaver tail. Changed the sights, and added a Ghost 3.0 connector, and a Vickers slide lock.

I am happy with the no external safety after decades of carrying revolvers and DAO semi's on duty.

I shoot it so much better than my H&K USP/c and on par with my 1911's and Smith revolvers. Best thing they are cheap.... I picked up a Police trade in G22 for $299 as a spare.

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_085650849.jpg
    IMG_20180723_085650849.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 18

Rangerrich99

"My biggest complaint about the Glock was the slide release and having to hold back the slide while pulling down the release and then letting go."

Sorry, could you explain what you are talking about?
Pretty sure he's talking about the hand gymnastics required for slide removal. In this video takedown starts at about :25 and runs to about 1:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlT5jntbohA

Now for myself this isn't terribly difficult, but I can see how arthritis or some similar hand issue could make this operation harder.

One of the lesser reasons I've switched to M&Ps is that there's no hand gymnastics at all, plus no pulling the trigger during disassembly.

pblanc

Holding the pistol as shown in the video with the thumb under the frame tang and fingers wrapped over the slide does make it easier to retract the slide slightly while keeping a hand free to pull down on the take-down lever.

But the lever is still small. Installing an extended take-down lever helps. These have slightly wider wings to grab onto but not long enough to snag or interfere with grip.

Plus they make the Glock more perfecter.

Status
Not open for further replies.