What I Don't Like About Glock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zukiphile

Skans said:
For a gun that has been around since the 1980's, I do have to wonder why Glock never came out with a model that has a decocker/thumb safety.

As I understood it, Glock has made such an item.
rimg.php

I understand Gaston Glock to have had some very specific notions about what US consumers should be able to buy from Glock, but that he was more open minded about how he might fill state agency requests.

Many [equivalents of] model 17s with a thumb safety and improved grip shape were sold in the US, but they were sold by Ruger.

20698-DEFAULT-l.jpg

[To anyone inclined to be upset by the observation, that was levity.]

Rollcrimp1

Glocks Suck

They are ugly, their triggers ... what triggers? Their sights are plastic. They don’t balance right in your hands. They have confusing model numbers. You can’t polish them. You could spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket parts to soup up a gun that will still be mediocre after all is said and done. So why Glock? Well, besides all the marketing hype if you’ve been around and remember what you had to do in those old days of “steel” to keep your guns running right, the answer becomes obvious. Also note that these days if you want a good smith to work on your steel gun you probably won’t find one. So yes we are living in the Tupperware age of guns where mediocrity has replaced the craft of gunmaking unless you’re very wealthy. So yes Glocks go bang every time you pull the trigger. Anyone that can turn a screwdriver and push a punch can work on a Glock and they are affordable. So to end my diatribe, I have 3 Glocks a 17MOS, 19 and a 43 that is affixed to me as my EDC. But damn, Glocks suck:cool:

Red Devil

What I don't like about GLOCK:

They came out w/ the Slimline G48 in 9mm Euro - w/o bringing out a simple Bbl. and mag change 9+1 .40 chambering.

Has GLOCK migrated up to the "Ladies Tee" along w/ the FBI and the rest of the limp-wrists?

Red

JohnKSa

Administrator
For a gun that has been around since the 1980's, I do have to wonder why Glock never came out with a model that has a decocker/thumb safety.
The thumb safety question has been pretty well answered. As far as a decocker, that would be a problem.

One could conceivably make a device that would release the striker from the trigger bar when the trigger is in the forward (unfired) position without firing the chambered round. That would take the gun from the partially cocked state that the gun is in when the trigger is forward to a fully uncocked state.

Problem is, without making the gun into pretty much a completely different gun, there would be no way to get the gun back into a mode where it could fire without racking the slide and ejecting the chambered round.

There's no way for the trigger to go any further forward to reengage with the striker lug, because it's already as far forward as it can go.

I could see maybe making a striker extension that sticks out the top of the slide where you could pull it back far enough to catch on the trigger bar again, but short of something that, you'd have to pretty much make an entirely different gun.

USNRet93

you forgot the ->:)Get a 22 or 23....Granted ya only need one or two of anything that starts with a '4'..so all those extra rounds...->:)

Sharkbite

They came out w/ the Slimline G48 in 9mm Euro - w/o bringing out a simple Bbl. and mag change 9+1 .40 chambering.

I dont think you can just drop a bbl into a 43 and make it a 40. 40 to 9 works because of the smaller breech face for the 9mm

12-34hom

Bought a model 40 [10mm long slide] Added a Burris Fast Fire optic. Gun is super accurate, very reliable, recoil quite manageable. Its a tad heavy, but with the right holster set up not to bad. Trigger takes getting used to but with practice, works out. Shot it at 50 yards keeping all shots on a 8 inch steel plate with no problem. Overall i give it a 9 out 10 rating.

223 shooter

Fired a Glock for the first time in the late 1980s and thought it was the most non-ergonomic pistol I had ever felt. It was not until many years later with the release of the Glock 42/43 that I finally became enthused about the possibility of owning a Glock.

I did end up with a G42 and was impressed for the most part. The accuracy is exceptional , shoot it as well as I do some full size semi-autos. Unfortunately it had some malfunctions with Federal FMJ ammo. So for now it is a range gun.

nanney1

My son is a novice shooter. Probably around 10 range trips total and just over 1,000 - 1,200 rounds. Mostly with my Glocks, but also some rentals, and M&P's and my Walther PPS M2. Once he shot the Walther, he had no more interest in Glocks. He said that you shouldn't have to adjust your grip to the pistol. The Walther fits better and he prefers the trigger.

He originally liked the idea of shooting my Glocks because some of his friends had Glocks and another friend had started shooting and was looking to buy a "Glock 9". But after shooting different pistols, the Glock mystique is gone for him.

Last edited:

USNRet93

Fired a Glock for the first time in the late 1980s and thought it was the most non-ergonomic pistol I had ever felt. It was not until many years later with the release of the Glock 42/43 that I finally became enthused about the possibility of owning a Glock.

I did end up with a G42 and was impressed for the most part. The accuracy is exceptional , shoot it as well as I do some full size semi-autos. Unfortunately it had some malfunctions with Federal FMJ ammo. So for now it is a range gun.
Depending if it at the beginning end of production..Glock can probably make the running change mods(magazine?) to it to make it more reliable. I have 2, one about 18months old and a brand new one and neither have had any malfunctions...probably 2000 rounds for the first one and about 300 of the second..everything from cheapo russian ammo to .$1.25 per Lehigh/Underwood Xtreme defense.

For right above, the 'mystique'...don't get that..How a handgun 'feels' is 100% subjective and as a tool, buy/shoot/carry the one that ya like best. Persoanally I don't get the 'mystique' with sig..shot a 320, 365 and 238 and liked none of them..BUT they were expensive....and 2 of them had been back to Sig for 'fixes'...:)

shurshot

Hey, I'll give Glock credit, they make fine Tire Chocks if you want to safely change your vehicles oil or part on a hill.

OhioGuy

I can't believe this thread has reached 13 pages.

I think I'll start one called "What I Do Like About Glock" and see if we can run another 13!

Glenn E. Meyer

It goes on as it is a Rorschach test of your Dunning-Kruger posturing as a handgun expert.

Boy, that's nasty, I should be scolded. I should get a grip on this angle of the debate.

It's too much fun to close it, for the moment.

tipoc

It goes on as it is a Rorschach test of your Dunning-Kruger posturing as a handgun expert.

I had to look up Dunning-Kruger effect. I've had a couple of bosses afflicted with that.

This is actually a mostly decent discussion.

tipoc

JDBerg

Here goes Post #320....

According to a noted USPSA Grand Master and author/instructor, who shall remain nameless here, shooting comes down to two things:

1) Have an acceptable sight picture.
2) Shoot the gun without causing the sight picture to become unacceptable.

Us Glock shooters definitely have more options for aftermarket sights and trigger systems than most other polymer striker gun makes. After almost 10 years of shooting my Gen3 17 with the plastic dovetail protectors, I’m getting Wilson Combat / Vickers Elite F.O. Front & Battlesight rear sights on it. The eyesight ain’t what it used to be 10 yrs. ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.