Top Shot

sixgun67

I really liked the pool ball challenge. There may have been a lot of misses, but those balls are small at distance. I can only imagine doing that with the sights on my pistol. Don't think I'd fare too well on that one myself.
sixgun

SPUSCG

People complain about the drama at the house, but i dont mind it, it helps me decide who i want to root for (last season i wanted kelly and pete, seemed like cool guys, and kelly kept getting voted for and kicking ass to stay in.) You can see whos cool, whos a d bag. Hopefully ill know soon who im rooting for.

kraigwy

I wasn't interested in watching that show until today when I found out that Brian Zins is one of the contestents. Brian is probably the worlds best pistol shot. Added to the fact he's the 10 time National Champion there isn't much he can pick up and not shoot.

Unless it is about showmanship and politics, my money is on the Gunny.

sixgun67

I also wanted to see Kelly win it last year. It was so unfair that he was time after time singled out for the elimination challenge, for simply being young and a little bit cocky. But, he did go far. He was pretty darned good all the way around.
sixgun

Marlin009

Only the first challenge with all shooters, is a fair challenge. After that, it's just TV, but with some neat guns.

That sums it up pretty well.

Just watched it on the DVR. I only saw the last two shows last year. I'm not a fan of the reality TV shows but I could tolerate that part to watch the shooting. The guy that said he wasn't into it needed to go.

I'd be curious to know what it was like looking through those glasses in the fog and rain. Had to be tough.

Rembrandt

I'd like to see a modest, polite personality that lets performance speak instead of this annoying arrogant beating on their chests like Tarzan.

Athena Lee......"Who doesn't want to see a short, Asian chick kick butt?"

Ashley Spurlin.....A true and tested warrior, Ashley says he's quick to avoid people who don't share his mentality.

Brian "Gunny" Zins....He's not afraid to boast that no one has ever been a seven-, eight- or nine-time champ either.

Chris Reed....."I can throw knives, shoot any kind of bow and shoot slingshots. There are very few people that can cover the whole spectrum....."I'm about as competitive as they come and as tough as a rattlesnake!"

Chris Tilley.....Chris is a ferociously competitive person who says he can get a bit impatient.

Daryl Parker.....He's been deployed around the world, speaks three languages and has nine personal decorations from generals and ambassadors......proudest moment is winning gold as the captain of the Marine Corps Shooting Team in both the Eastern and Pacific D divisions.

Eric Anderson...."God didn't make men equal. Smith and Wesson did."...."I'm here with the big dogs… and I'm off the leash."

George Reinas....."I'm big, I'm mean. I'm going to destroy the competition." This Air Force sniper has reason to be cocky--he's good......An obsessive weight lifter, he regularly benches 400-plus pounds and curls 200 pounds, barely breaking a sweat. A self-described Jersey Shore guy, he's not afraid to tell it like it is.

Jamie Franks......One thing really bugged Jamie Franks while watching the first season of Top Shot--"Where were the Navy guys?" Though the Navy is not necessarily known for marksmanship, Jamie believes he can outshoot the other branches any day.......this self-proclaimed "natural leader" attended Seals training twice.....admits there is "no filter between my brain and my mouth" and wants to prove that he's the pride of the Navy.

Jay Lim....."I'm not just a shooter, I'm an athlete. I'm a thinker. I'm all that. Whatever I think--I can get my body to do.".......a self-described over-achiever who loves marksmanship because "there is perfection in shooting, and that is what I strive for."

Jermaine Finks...."Most people describe me as intimidating."

Joe Serafini......"When I shoot, I shoot to win."

John Guida......has one goal: win the competition as some unknown restaurant guy, and make everyone stop and say “well what the hell just happened?”

Kyle Frasure....."Everybody I come across in my day-to-day life is astonished when I tell them that I shoot shotguns competitively." This stylish Southern California kid may defy people's preconceptions of a competitive shooter

Maggie Reese......"I love shooting against bigger, stronger, tougher men." Don't be fooled by her stunning looks--"I love it when they underestimate me and I love when I have an opportunity to prove myself."

Travis Marsh.....looking for a second chance.....once a 10-time National Junior Champ and member of the U.S. Shooting Team, poised to take the shooting world by storm until, he says, the fame and adulation went to his head. The night before Olympic tryouts, Travis broke his arm in a bar fight and saw his dreams of a gold-medal victory fade away.

44 AMP

Staff
Being a gun person who enjoys shooting, more than competing against others, that's the part of the show I like the least. But I do understand that these shooters are competitors, prehaps competitors first and shooters second.

All the posturing and chest thumping claims are both theater for the show, and a competitor's opening moves in the game of psycological dominance. After all, at the end, there can be only one. Good thing the house is Holy Ground, Highlander!;)

The want, and need to psych themselves up, and their opponents, which will eventually include all their teammates, out. The trick is not to damage your teammates confidence, until they become your opponent. A thin line, to be sure.

As to the blue team putting their best pistol shooters in elimination, due to their poor performance on the pool balls, I see a strategy in that as well. And it is about taking a calculated risk, losing a team member now, risking being beaten by the red team overall, versus winning having to face them personally, later.

The photography is exceptional. And all those shooters who "let the team down" missing those pool balls didn't miss them by very much at all.

personally I could have done much better than "most" in that 1st challenge...

I thought the same thing, at first. Certainly I could do better than they did, with my rifle and my ammo, a prone shot at a 10" bull at 200yds? Clout shot. Probably most of us could. But give me a rifle I've never shot, who's sights may or may not be set close to where the gun shoots, as I look through the sights, and fire one single round? No, I can't fault any of them for not nailing the bull, and I do agree with the fellow that said the one center bullseye hit was luck! It may have been a lucky shot, or it may have been luck that the sights were right on for that particular shooter, allowing a good shot, but either way, luck was what did it.

And the same goes for the pool ball challenge. Most of the misses were misses by only an inch or so (not counting the post hits), and with an unfamiliar gun, not sighted in for the shooter? Come on guys, is it really fair to put all the blame on the shooter, because they are an expert?

I did notice that so far no one blamed the equipment, but that may come. I still can't get over that one prima donna from last year, whining about the pistol's sights being worn out!

I do hope no one gets their thumb hurt shooting an auto like some of them do. :D

SPUSCG

Last year a guy claimed he missed because "the beretta is a big metal piece of crap and I wouldve won if they had glocks." He lost.

Win_94

I thought the same thing, at first. Certainly I could do better than they did, with my rifle and my ammo, a prone shot at a 10" bull at 200yds? Clout shot. Probably most of us could. But give me a rifle I've never shot, who's sights may or may not be set close to where the gun shoots, as I look through the sights, and fire one single round?

I want to agree and add that the bullet coefficient, bullet weight and velocity are very important too. I've never shot a rifle like that, and would need to know that information to account for wind drift.

It may have been a lucky shot, or it may have been luck that the sights were right on for that particular shooter, allowing a good shot, but either way, luck was what did it.
I saw a pattern of a bit low, and right. At the least, some of them didn't account enough for wind-drift.

Last edited:

jimbob86

Curses.......I forgot to set the DVR...........oh well, won't miss the rest of them. This gettin' old and senile isn't what it's cracked up to be!

You guys know you can watch it online at the History Channel's website, right?

spacecoast

Just finished watching it on the History Channel web site.

I don't think these guys have any idea how good Brian Zins is - he should have been picked first for his team. He has phenomenal concentration and focus under pressure, not to mention shooting and breathing technique, to win as many Bullseye titles as he has and set many BE records. I couldn't believe he missed his first 1911 shot (leaning quite a bit to his left) but he hit the next two IIRC and is a clear favorite in my mind. He might get tripped up by one of the gimmicky blowgun or tomahawk challenges but as a pure shooter I doubt if many if any of the cast are anywhere near him in either skill or experience.

This page is a bit dated, he has since won his 10th national pistol shooting title.

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2009/01/31/Who-is-Brian-Zins.aspx

I really dislike some of the "champion" attitudes on the show

I don't mind those attitudes if they are earned.

Last edited:

ZeSpectre

I just can't watch these kinds of shows. The manufactured (or over emphasized) drama, "pretending" that there are teams (when it's obviously an every-person for themselves situation), choices obviously made for "television" not for winning (one shot, no practice with an unknown rifle?!? That's not skill, that's blind luck)...Blech.

Basically I did the same thing I did for season one. Watched the first episode to see if anything had changed and then gave up.

O6nop

Quote:
Last year a guy claimed he missed because "the beretta is a big metal piece of crap and I wouldve won if they had glocks." He lost.

Quote:
I think that was the same guy who cried about the sights!

I think that was 'glock boy' Brad?
On the last episode they gave an update of what the contestants were doing after the season ended and I think that was the guy who said he bought a Beretta and was using that now for pistol competitions.

I also forgot that the new season started. I watched it online from the History channel last night. Although the tried and true shooters don't appreciate the drama that goes with this show, it does attract not-so-serious shooters and even non-shooters so that they may be exposed to the fun that competition shooting can provide.
If you want strictly competition shows, they are out there too.

SPUSCG

When it showed what shooters have done since show aired it said he competes with a new pistol, thats not a glock. Wonder what?

Glenn E. Meyer

I kind of like the unknown gun deal. I've gone to training where you are forced to pick up something you have little experience with and get it to run.

Might happen during the apocalypse. :D

Fox1

SPEMack618
I do agree the golf instructor is over thinking/over coaching.

However, it does warm my heart that the two "ametures" are the team captains. Not saying I have a problem with competition shooting, I was quite the air rifle star back in high school,, but I really dislike some of the "champion" attitudes on the show.

I thought the same thing as you, but let me add a "twist" to it.
I don't recall Colby every stating anything at all about "Team Captains." I need to watch it again, but I just remember it as something along the lines of "the two closest shooters get to pick the teams."
Another thought is that maybe Colby did say they were the team captains but that part got cut out in the editing process.