Too old maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Is anyone else here a bit put off by Savage naming their new rifle the "Axis"? To me, "Axis" means the German-Italian alliance that we fought against in WWII. I know the word is respectable enough in the context of the Earth's axis, for example, but I wish they had picked another name. Will their next models be the "USSR" and "Al Qaeda"?

Jim

PawPaw

Naah, that doesn't bother me much. They first named it the Edge, and got into a trademark hassle. They could have named it the Rupert, but everyone would have laughed at them.

Peter M. Eick

Funny that you mentioned the "axis" name. I thought the same thing the first time I saw the rifle. I would agree it is a poor choice of names.

FrankenMauser

I'm put off by Savage expecting people to buy a piece of crap that is just an existing model that they cut some corners on during manufacturing. But, the name doesn't bother me, at all.

btmj

I guess I am more upset with the overly clever numnutz in 1939 who misappropriated a mathematic term (axis) and applied it to the alliance of Germany, Italy, Japan, et al... "Axis" was a word widely used in math, science, and engineering before that point. Why couldn't they come up with their own damn word !

I use the word so much as part of my daily work, that I don't really think about the WWII connection, unless i am reading about history.

As soon as I heard the words (Savage Axis) immediately that caused me to think of past history. 72 yrs gone by. You would think by now the words would be fleeting & trivial. Nope not for me. Not yet.

hooligan1

Jim, do you honestly think, the sales staff at Savage thought it would be a great idea to name a product of theirs after the World War II alliance of Germany and Italy?
Id bet my bottom dollar that they didnt make that connection like you did? How the hell could they sell that crap to Americans? It must have another meaning they were reaching for..

Besides it was what, three years ago? How come you aint said nothin til today?

jmr40

It was initially called the Edge. McMillan took exception to that because of their Edge stocks. A re-name was done quickly. Possibly without a lot of thought.

Sierra280

I never thought about it until reading this thread. I doubt Savage thought about it when naming the rifle. It's definitely something only the older folks would notice. My business logo has the rising sun from the old Japanese flag in it (I specialize in Japanese imports; Lexus, Acura, etc), my grandfather is the only person who has ever said something about its connection to WW2.

That being said I'm more surprised that people now days don't have more of a problem with the Indian logo and the name 'Savage'

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I don't see it at all. The reference to the Axis Powers is but one of many (at least 10 as it turns out) definitions of the word.

ax·is (kss)
n. pl. ax·es (ksz)
1. A straight line about which a body or geometric object rotates or may be conceived to rotate.
2. Mathematics
a. An unlimited line, half-line, or line segment serving to orient a space or a geometric object, especially a line about which the object is symmetric.
b. A reference line from which distances or angles are measured in a coordinate system.
3. A center line to which parts of a structure or body may be referred.
4. An imaginary line to which elements of a work of art, such as a picture, are referred for measurement or symmetry.
5. Anatomy
a. The second cervical vertebra on which the head turns.
b. Any of various central structures, such as the spinal column, or standard abstract lines used as a positional referent.
6. Botany The main stem or central part about which organs or plant parts such as branches are arranged.
7. One of three mutually perpendicular lines that define the orientation of an aircraft, with one being along its direction of travel and the other two being perpendicular to the direction of travel.
8. A line through the optical center of a lens that is perpendicular to both its surfaces.
9. One of three or four imaginary lines used to define the faces of a crystal and the position of its atoms.
a. An alliance of powers, such as nations, to promote mutual interests and policies.
b. Axis The alliance of Germany and Italy in 1936, later including Japan and other nations, that opposed the Allies in World War II.

I suspect they were going for something close to the two bolded definitions. As if to say that the product line is the standard by which others are referenced.

RC20

I also agree. My Dad fought one arm of that in WWII as did an Uncle and pretty much all my wives relatives.

Apparently Savage did not give any thought to any part, either the first Edge or the Axis part. Maybe thinking is not their strong suite?

In some context I could expect it, but a gun company?

Most company's do name research for just that reason.

steveNChunter

I don't take offense to the name "Axis" but I do think its kinda stupid. Since they are "Savage" arms they should've given the rifle a Native American name. Apache, Navajo, Mojave, would be better than Axis IMO. I just call mine "cheap tack driver";)

FiveInADime

2damnold4this said:
Isn't there a critter called the Axis Deer?

Yes, they're generally found in Germany, Italy, or Japan and either have problems with trying to forcefully expand their empire or trying to genetically cleanse their species and take over the world. Pretty tasty backstraps, though.

Pahoo

Not a problem !!!

A main line of direction, motion, growth, or extension.
A partnership, alliance.
You can accept as a scientific term or political term. I guess I choose to; Keep it on the Sunny-side. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

g.willikers

Most people working at Savage are probably way too young to have made the connection.
Most people in the world, for that matter.
The Vietnam war is ancient history to most these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.