Time to boycott Stallone

NWPilgrim

If you wana talk about hero actors, no one beats Audie Murphy.

Absolutely. I think he was great in the Westerns, and of course his movie To Hell and Back. One of the best war books and movies ever because as outstanding as his actions were, they were all a result of his compassion for his fellow soldier, not for glory.

Always worth putting Audie's name in lights when the word hero is mentioned, and doubly in regards to actors.

MLeake

The thing is, guys, assuming that all heroes are pro-gun, or that all pro-gun actors are heroes, oversimplifies and isn't necessarily accurate.

For instance, though not an actor, George McGovern was a decorated B-24 Liberator pilot in WWII. He later became one of our biggest anti-war politicians.

Jimmy Stewart was a Brigadier General in the Air Force, and a combat pilot. I don't know his thoughts on guns, but he wasn't a hardcore conservative type.

An acquaintance of mine is an anti, but was also awarded the Silver Star.

Beware of mental traps, like assuming because somebody does A, then he must believe B.

Pilot

Jimmy Stewart was a Brigadier General in the Air Force, and a combat pilot. I don't know his thoughts on guns, but he wasn't a hardcore conservative type.

Ahh, yes he was.

Jimmy Stewart flew at least 20 combat missions over Europe in WWII as a pilot of a B-24 Liberator and eventually squadron commander, and flying cross recipient. He was the real deal, and yes Stewart was very pro-gun, and he WAS a hardcore conservative type. Do a little research on him please.

MLeake

Pilot, there is a difference between supporting the Republican party, and being a hardcore conservative.

Yes, Stewart supported Nixon, and then Reagan.

On the other side, he had been roommates with, and was a lifelong friend of Henry Fonda.

And, there is this, from Stewart's Wikipedia page:

Following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, Stewart, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas and Gregory Peck issued a statement calling for support of President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.[101]

Perhaps you might do some more research.

22-rimfire

Stalone is getting a bit old and is fading away. I wouldn't be too concerned with his political views and boycotting his movies.

My all time favorite actor of the older "hero actors" was Gary Cooper. Love most of his movies, mostly because Gary Cooper is in them. :) Then Clint came along.... hard to beat Clint Eastwood. Getting old really sucks!

Glenn E. Meyer

Bruce Willis came out against new gun laws.

So what - why do we care about celebrities?

Maybe they can all opine about the 3rd Amend.

ScottRiqui

I don't hold actors responsible for "living up" to their on-screen personae - I know that Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't really a killer cyborg from the future, and I'm (fairly) certain that Sharon Stone has never killed anyone with an icepick.

They're ACTORS, for Pete's sake; there's nothing hypocritical about an actor not conforming to his real-life ideals while performing in a movie that's meant to entertain.

Did you think it was hypocritical for Clint Eastwood to play Harry Callahan, when he was never a cop in real life? Was it hypocritical for James Caan to portray an Italian mobster in "The Godfather" when he's not actually either one?

markj

If you wana talk about hero actors, no one beats Audie Murphy.
Yeah, but he couldnt act. Saw a few of his movies with my 9 year old son. Great movies but his acting is a little stiff.

A friend of mine was a nam marine, he hates guns. My nephew was in iraq and afgan, saw some heavy fighting, isnt so keen on guns now.

Other marine friends I have love guns and carry them, some carry 4 :)

My Uncle was a sheriff, he carried 4 to 6 revolvers, said it was easier to grab a new gun then reload. He was in some fire fights back in the 50s and 60s, took down a hells angels gang.

Some folks like guns, some dont, its the way it is. As far as actors go, how can you tell if they are for real or acting when they say their anti gun statements?

Yeah, but he couldnt act. Saw a few of his movies with my 9 year old son. Great movies but his acting is a little stiff.

The 'stiff' style was common amongst shows of the 40s and 50s, so he really fit in well with the genre of the time. Cooper and Cagney were also of the period and similarly stiff actors, but big names. Of course, Cooper and Cagney didn't serve in the military.

Dragline45

The 'stiff' style was common amongst shows of the 40s and 50s, so he really fit in well with the genre of the time. Cooper and Cagney were also of the period and similarly stiff actors, but big names. Of course, Cooper and Cagney didn't serve in the military.

Totally agree, that style of acting was common for those times. Dragnet is a perfect example. Even some of the great actors of that time like Yul Brynner could come off as stiff, and hes a damn legend. Of course there were always the exceptions like Gene Kelley and Fred Astaire.

Last edited:

horatioo

Johny Depp made movies about pirates but is apparently anti pirate in real life, add his name to the hypocrite list.

There is nothing hypocritical about making movies with guns and being against guns.

Edward429451

Stallone being anti gun isn't the best reason to boycott him. So many lame movies and poor acting skills.

I didn't see him on the list at the NRA but I'm sure I read that Matt Damon is anti gun also.

Justice06RR

There are certain topics and real life issues that matter to the movie fans regarding the actors/actresses they will support. Some topics may not be a big deal, i.e. pirates, medicine, history, etc.

Other topics may be more important than others; 2A rights for example, or freedom of religion, or pro/anti-abortion, etc. because they actually matter to the movie-goer.

In regards to Stallone (or any action/firearms actor) and being anti-gun, he will be seen as a hypocrite along with others who are on the same boat.

If Chuck Norris or Steven Segal were anti- self defense then I would stop supporting them also.

MLeake

Segal is hardly an exemplar for anything I'd value.

I credit him with inspiring my initial interest in aikido, but his persona, his later movies, and his moments in the press have really turned me off to the man.