Time for a Glock redesign?

I just saw a Glock being compared to a toilet...my day is complete. "Functional but crappy" comes to mind...

You have to think though, if it needs to be updated, why do so many police forces carry them safely and use them effectively? I think they serve their purpose very well and they're not meant to be pretty. If you want a fancy pistol with grip safeties and such, there are other offerings.

IanS

See my signature line.

Maybe Glock simply doesn't want to bow to the demands of people who use words like "comfy" when they grip a weapon.

IdahoG36

A fully assembled Glock without an undamaged part does not malfunction.

Really??? Well, I must be the first ever. I believe it was about 8 months ago that I bought a GLOCK 29. It was brand new. I took it out for it's maiden voyage and brought along some American Eagle 180gr fmj plinking ammo. Well, I loaded up the first mag and fired ten rounds. After the tenth round, the slide was locked back. I lowered the slide and dry fired it and the slide fell off of the frame and onto the ground. You can imagine my suprise.
Upon closer inspection, I found that the take down lever was no longer present. The little spring that is under the take down lever was also gone.

I had owned several GLOCKs in the past, and all had worked fine through thousands of rounds. I was a little suprised that this one only made it ten rounds. It is a man made machine though, and anything can happen.

So, I called Smyrna and explained my problem. The people at GLOCK were very nice. My pistol was sent out through my local dealer, and it returned in 2 weeks time. I sold it soon afterwards.

GLOCKs are good pistols, but I have found that I like the XD a lot more. I no longer own anymore GLOCKs. Not because there is anything wrong with them, I just found a design that fits my needs perfectly. I really don't know what GLOCK could modify to their existing design to make them any better. But I do agree that the S&W M&P, Springfield XD, Hk P30 and Hk 45, and Beretta PX4 are going to keep chipping away at GLOCKs dominance in the poly pistol arena. They will one day be overtaken as the leader.

mini4m3

woah woah woah

for anyone who is jumping on the bash glock bandwagon for not changing.

Look at the 1911! Fundementally it has not changed in close to 100 years! So you're telling me that glock, being only a fraction of that age, needs to change every so often?

pish-posh I say!

wyocarp

Why would they change something that works so well. Someone mentioned a grip and thumb safety. Why the heck would they ruin a perfectly good gun with those things. They ought to get rid of the trigger thing if they change anything. If you don't like the grip, buy something else. I didn't like some of the grips, but when you shoot them, they feel fine. If I what to fondle a gun I'll pull out one or two of a dozen single action colt .45's out of the safe. If I want to shoot, I'm just as likely to pull out a Glock. Other's should do the same. Now, if they didn't work, that would be another story.

AKGunner

I think changing Glocks radically would be about as smart as making a new recipe for Coke.

I must admit a small single stack that doesn't feel like a brick would get a look from me, though. :D

ActivShootr

Actually there will be a Generation 4 coming out...it will be just like a Generation 3, but it will have an additional finger groove.

For what, people with 6 fingers?

Look at the 1911! Fundementally it has not changed in close to 100 years! So you're telling me that glock, being only a fraction of that age, needs to change every so often?

Sir, this is Glock bashing. 1911 bashing is across the hall. ;)

Alleykat

Chances are, the guys in charge of marketing at Glock have at least some clues as to how popular a 10mm longslide would be. Think they might sell 500 pcs, worldwide? ;) I hope they keep doing what they're doing.

Officer's Match

There is no need redesign the Glock product.

My statement you quoted was an honest answer to the previous post. As far as semantics go, if you don't like the word redesign, fine, let's call it refine or tweak.

If the lack of a manual safety scares you, buy something else.

Am I to assume that wasn't directed at me? I didn't comment about the Glock's lack of a manual safety apart from one on the trigger, so I suppose my assumption is safe. BTW, "scares" is a rather inflamatory term to choose towards whomever it was intended.

Am I to assume that wasn't directed at me? I didn't comment about the Glock's lack of a manual safety apart from one on the trigger, so I suppose my assumption is safe. BTW, "scares" is a rather inflamatory term to choose towards whomever it was intended

No, not directed at any one individual. If you took offence sir, then I apologize. However, I stand behind my post as far as the verbage goes. If the word "scares" is considered inflammatory then so be it. I am too old to mince words. Glocks are not for everyone and the fact that some people might feel scared, nervous, fearful, anxious or whatever about the lack of manual safties indicates that they are either not aware of the internal safeties etc, or they should simply carry something else will all the extra buttons and levers.

Like I said earlier, the Glock is what the Glock is and its not likely to change unless the market dictates, which it is not at the present time. "Tweaks" and small changes are, as Ive already stated, the natural evolution of any given product. Until a totally new and yet unknown technology arrives to surplant conventional firearms or the desire for Glocks in the marketplace plummets, the design will not likely be modified. Everything boils down in the end to money. Politics, Religion, Business or whatever. Money makes the world go around and right now there just is no huge demand for a change as evidenced by the backlog of orders at Glock and continued sales. Of course these are only my opinions.

roman3

GLOCKs are good pistols, but I have found that I like the XD a lot more. I no longer own anymore GLOCKs. Not because there is anything wrong with them, I just found a design that fits my needs perfectly.

Except unlike the G29 you had the XD offers you no 10mm option.
But as your G29 was a lemon I guess that's not much of an issue.

nemoaz

Glock still owns the law enforcement market. Absolutely owns it. HK and Sig still have a sizeable percentage. Ruger, I haven't really seen one. I think some federal corrections guys carry them. Kimber? STI? Taurus? Springfield? Never even seen anyone carrying these. As far as a department issuing them to every officer(as opposed to allowing an officer to carry a personally owned firearm off a list of 50 or so), I'll bet it isn't more than a few hundred nationwide. M&P? The numbers are miniscule. Smith quotes "330" departments but then start listing west podunk and east craphole as the agencies. http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2008/05...partments-latest-worcester-mass-pd-in-45-acp/ Xd? Still haven't heard of a single department issueing these.

Last edited:

IanS

For perspecticve between Glock and M&P

Worldwide Glock is closing in on 5 million pistols so far

As of last year S&W has produced 200,000 M&P's.

bushidomosquito

I really like them the way they are but there are so many guns that others like more and I think that Glock could listen to those folks and add some of those features to some new models. They don't have to quit making the originals, just introduce some with different grip panels and trigger options and ambi mag releases like they should have done from the start. The slide itself really needs no work.

As for long guns, it's not hard to design a reliable pump or auto shotgun or carbine and Glock has exactly 0% of the longarm market so what gives? Who wouldn't buy a Glock shotgun or a carbine that uses their Glock mags? (other than the obvious haters that don't like the handguns)

IdahoG36

Except unlike the G29 you had the XD offers you no 10mm option.
But as your G29 was a lemon I guess that's not much of an issue.

I once owned three 10mm pistols, a GLOCK 20, GLOCK 29, and an EAA Witness. I really like the cartridge, but it is a little hard to come by where I live and expensive. I don't reload, so I ended up selling all of my 10mm. That was the main reason for selling my 29.

What really kind of impressed me about the whole experience with the GLOCK 29 that broke was that I have no idea if the take down lever broke on the first or tenth round. But the pistol didn't seem to care. It fired all ten rounds no problem. The only things holding the slide on were the firing pin and the crucifix shaped piece on the trigger bar that catches the firing pin. I thought it was pretty amazing that it kept running even with parts missing. Then I was pi**ed of that I had a new gun that broke.:mad::D:D