Time for a Glock redesign?

chris in va

I get the impression Glock would have changed their design a long time ago if it hadn't been for their very large PD/military contracts.

jpwilly

I've never owned a Glock but have shot a few. Didn't care for the feel of the grip and or the trigger. Otherwise a fine firearm. If Glock made a pistol that felt as good as my CZ P-01 they would have had another customer.

IanS

There have been some little changes here and there, but until they see their market share starting to slip (or believe that there's a good chance it will) there's not a lot of incentive for them to fix what ain't broke, so to speak.

I agree. There's also the chance they could alienate their core fans with any radical changes. That would include myself. I feel the grip angle aids in its shootability and ability to get back on target. And how a grip feels has nothing to do with how well someone can shoot a pistol, as long as they can reach the trigger comfortably.

BTW, was it the Walther P99 that first came up with the removalbe backstrap concept? Anyways, I always felt the Walther P99 was the first to address a lot of things that some people complained about Glocks (grip angle/grip feel) but still retain great size/power ratio. People have always talked up the HK's, XD's, and now M&P's but I continue to think P99's are the best alternative for people who don't like Glocks be it grip angle, grip feel, trigger, or even looks. Too bad Walther didn't market them as aggresively like the others. It really is a vastly underrated gun.

IanS

I just want a M&P-style backstrap insert so I can have a Crimson Trace that doesn't look like a lump of modeling clay stuck to the grip.

Yeah, it kinda sucks for Glock owners who want Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Maybe they'll go back to the drawing board and redesign it more like the ones they recently came out for the XD's.

Firepower!

Glock does not need to redesign. It is fine the way it is. I think folks who are advocating redesign are actually either jealous of Glock's success or are in denial of admitting that the Glock is the best thing ever happened in the semi auto industry.

If it wasnt for Glock 18 years ago I would have never thought of collecting semi autos. The other companies should thank Mr. Gaston for his invention and thus re-motivating the wheelgun guys to take a second look at semi.

That said, Glock should perhaps only introduce a new more lethal caliber in 9mm size which is only made for Glock; and in Tokerev cal as some one stated earlier.

Moe Howard

I think folks who are advocating redesign are actually either jealous of Glock's success or are in denial of admitting that the Glock is the best thing ever happened in the semi auto industry.

It is statements like this that make me think your Kool-Aid has XXX on the side of the Mason jar you drink it from.:eek:

Spenser

I don't think they need to change much at all. I would like to see a single-stack, tiny 9mm to compete with Walther's PPS and others of that ilk.

Otherwise, what's not to like? The backstrap idea might be something to go on, but mechanically there's nothing needing any change.

The darn things work. They're depressingly dependable and durable.

The 1911's been around almost 100 years at this point, with little change to the basic design. I don't see why Glock can't equal or surpass that record.

bluedog

just the grip

I like the Glock as it is except for the grip....change the angle to be more like a 1911 and changeable backstraps like the M&P could only help....that would be nice!

WESHOOT2

"Excuse me, your slip is showing"

I suggest that Glock's market share is showing some erosion.

H&K, SIG, S&W, Ruger, Kimber, Beretta, STI, and others, even Taurus, are in this country eroding Glock's LE stranglehold (trade-in Glocks are not quite as often being traded for Glocks).

Last edited:

rellascout

Why on earth would you change something that works as well as the Glock
? The idea that it needs a redesign is absurd IMHO.

The R & D in the Glock Line was paid for years ago. Now it is only a matter of labor and materials. There is no need to create a new R&D cost line if you were Glock. They have a distinct advantage in LE and worldwide military sales. That lets face it is where the real money is. They can give away pistols at $350 and still make bank.

If you were Glock why would you change that?

Why on earth would you change something that works as well as the Glock
? The idea that it needs a redesign is absurd IMHO.

The idea that Glocks can't improved is what seems absurd to me, and understand I say this as a devout Glock lover. If we applied your logic, we would all still be driving Model T's.

I don't think the Glock needs a major overhaul, but it could be tweaked like anything else to be even better.

rellascout

They are constantly being tweaked. They are are look at the different generations of the gun.

The model T example does not fit. Todays cars do things that the model T could never do. There is no gun on the market that surpasses the performance of the Glock line in the same way.

Too make a better product???? In what way???? Refinement does not equal redesign. Two different worlds when it comes to manufacturing.

To make a better product.

There is no need redesign the Glock product. Minor tweaks and new models are a natural product evolution but the basic design works and more importantly, sells well enough that a re-design is an excercise in redundancy. Adding manual safties and adjustable backstraps are fine but they are not needed on the Glock. If they were sales would have necessitated the addition of these. If they dont fit your hand buy something else. If the lack of a manual safety scares you, buy something else. There seem to be enough people who are fine with the current product line so its not fiscally sound to change a good thing. I do agree that new models such as a single stack 9mm would be a good idea but again the basic design would not be changed. Time will tell. There are some "rumors" that Glock will be moving the entire production to Smyrna in order to offer some new models that currently dont make it through the absurd ATF point system. Such as a .380 and the single stack 9mm. Just rumors at this point.

Sixer

Glocks are simple. Simple is great. Glocks are great. In the .40 S&W I have shot the Sig Sauer, HK, and S&W MP. All great guns, but given the choice... to pick the ONE gun I would want in a desperate situation, it's gonna be my GLOCK every time. Simply a perfect work-horse of a gun. More updates = a more complex fire arm. I dont need any more updates to know that when I pull the trigger it's gonna go bang... every time!

Northalius

Well, they're making the SF frames now (hopefully doing the 10mm models next...), but that's all Glocks really would need I think, if anything, to satisfy at least the picky people among you that say "I hate the Glock hump!"

Or, you can simply heat it up over a fire (not TOO close, or you'll burn it...) and push it in yourself; problem solved!

I don't want any damn safeties outwardly! I like a simple design, because simple is much better than complicated, in a highly stressful, life and death situation! Glocks were made to be KISS simple for the combat soldier; I like that!

Could they make the slide less square? Yeah, but it's not needed!

They can't make small mousegun designs, because the stupid (traitorous) importation rules / laws enforced by the (traitorous) ATF. Guns must be of certain weight, among other things, to come into the U.S. Not even the Glock 25 and 28 (.380s) can make it here, because of the restrictions the government put on gun importation.

They'd have to make 'em here, of which I hope they start doing. Imagine a RELIABLE, DURABLE and SIMPLE mousegun? Unheard of today... until Glock starts making 'em! :)

That said, Glock should perhaps only introduce a new more lethal caliber in 9mm size which is only made for Glock;

Well, you can already convert your Glock 20 and Glock 29 to 9x25 Dillon, which is pretty damn lethal as it is.

9x25 ammo from DoubleTap: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

9x25 barrels from DoubleTap: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

With a 90 gr. 9x25 Dillon round and a 6" barrel, you're hitting 2100 fps. :eek:

With a 125 gr. 9x25 Dillon round and a 6" barrel, you're hitting 1700 fps. :eek:

That's true .357 Magnum power out of a semi-auto. The 9x25 Dillon (".35 Magnum Auto") round is bottleneck design, as well... for superior feeding reliability. :cool:

roman3

Nope

unless they are going to offer a frame with the light rail and no fingergrips.

otherwise the Glock is fine