Thoughts on "survival rifles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrichter

Since there is a lot of talk about "survival rifles", and I recently I happened to discover where this persisting concept of a "zombie apocalypse" comes from (namely one certain TV series, I suppose), I spent some thoughts on the issue and invite everybody to donate his own 2 cents.

1.) There are two completely different concepts of "survival rifles":

A) a light backpack and / or take down rifle that you can still carry into the wilderness when you are otherwise unarmed (the latter either because of weight issues or because it is simply not your main concern unless something unforeseeable might occur)

B) a sturdy and low-maintenance allround rifle that can be held in store for any event where it may be needed (rough times of any kind).

For both, I'd say they should be:

- easy to operate, also for the occasional unskilled
- low tech (bolt action, maybe)
- sturdy but light (synthetic stock)
- versatile

I see, e.g., no point in declaring a full-powered battle rifle the ideal survival rifle - if you DO have the skill and training you need for proper handling of such a weapon, then it is most likely your main rifle for everyday use, anyway.

While for a survival rifle in the sense of A) everything is settled with an AR7, for B) I'd consider .22lr a little too weak. On the other hand, it has to be something where ammo is easy to get... Thus, I have chosen a .223 bolt for myself.

Jimmy96a1

They make .22 rifles that fold down enough to fit in a small backpack. Thats all you really need for survival if its all you got. You wont be bringing down any bears but you could kill a deer if your sneaky. Its way easyer to carry 1000 rounds of .22 than the same amount of .223 also. But for bunnys,squirrels and birds wich will be your most common delicious snacks in the wild, a .22 will do fine. Dont think a .223 would leave much meat on a squrrel lol. If your talking about surviving in hostile territory and you need somthing that can kill pretty much anything inside 200 yards thats not gonna be a complete hinderance get a .308 lol im no exper but thats my 2 cents.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The big problem that I've noticed in discussions of this sort is that "survival" spans many different scenarios. Thus my oft-repeated comment that there's no such thing as "One size fits all."

Just as one example: You crash your light plane in the middle of a mountainous, forested wilderness, and have a badly sprained ankle. The ELT works, but choppers can't land. While you wait for rescue, do you rely on a .22 for ptarmigan and hares? Or a .375 H&H against grizzlies?

The various scenarios one envisions determine the choice of rifle.

tobnpr

I think the lightweight "scout" rifle, as defined, is about as close to the one rifle I'd have, if I could have only one rifle for "survival"...

my survival "rifle" would be a shotgun. slugs for big critters, shot for small critters. not to mention rounds havent been hard to find since the great depression.

Buzzcook

The problem with a shotgun for lost in the wilderness scenarios is the weight of the ammo.

If we're only lost for a short time or not wandering around the weight isn't a big deal. When the time is long and we have to travel that weight becomes a big deal.

I'd also have to ask how you got lost in the wilderness with a shotgun and a few cases of ammo.

g.willikers

Another choice is the combo shotgun-rifles.
Like a 20 gauge and a small rifle caliber.
Being of the break open design, they can also be taken down for easier packing.

Boomer58cal

my survival "rifle" would be a shotgun. slugs for big critters, shot for small critters. not to mention rounds havent been hard to find since the great depression.

To limited on range in my opinnion.

The problem with a shotgun for lost in the wilderness scenarios is the weight of the ammo.

You could have 2-3 .223 or 7.62x39 for the weight of a 2 3/4 12 ga shell. .22 LR would be even better. This is also a hugely affected by your situation.

Are you on foot, are you in a car, or are you sheltered in place in the building or other shelter? If I'm sheltered in I want semiauto .50 BMG, in a car I want an AK with a folding stock and on foot I want the lightest gun ammo combo I can get that will reach 200-300 yards. Preferably semi auto and mag fed.

Are you by yourself or in a group? If you're in a group, do your guns use the same ammo? Common ammo is important but it's always nice to have at least one heavy bolt action rifle in your group.

I'm not packing a 12 gauge if I'm on foot, it would be an excellent choice if you were barricaded in somewhere though.

For a backpack rifle, I like the any .22 lr, 22 Hornet or .223 sized cartridge in less you're in bear country that is. Then I could see this going a little bigger then.

Boomer

Bigfatts

I always thought the Keltec folding rifles would be great in a survival role. Either the SU16 or the Sub 2000. Both are lightweight, take readily available mags and ammo. The SU16 even stores mags right in the stock. Either rifle would be ok for close range hunting or defense.

^^^^^ hahaha, great minds think alike....:D

I always liked the idea of the keltec su-16 for a survival rifle. Stores 2 10 round mags (or one 20 or 30) in stock of the gun, folds in half, has a simple bolt design, handi little bipod built in... It's not perfect, or even all that great compared to many guns... But it fits most folks need and description for a survival rifle.

ThomasT

I always liked this rifle for a survival type gun. The ammo isn't a lot heavier than regular 22LR and it is about 3 times as powerful. It cost more but so what. Anything except air gun ammo cost more than 22 rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGeZYqMQ7gw

I wish I could find a beat up version of this gun for a hundred bucks or so and I would make the mods and have one of the best truck guns around.

Also this. A great article for a survival rifle.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/survival.htm

leadcounsel

If by 'survival' you mean battling nature, securing some food, and adequate self defense, I would agree that either a 12 gauge and an assortment of birdshot and slugs is a great weapon. Or, an AR15 folds in half by popping two pins. A couple loaded mags gives you a lot of ammo.

Either of these comes in at under 10 pounds. You'd be hard pressed to come up with a realistic survival situation in the US that requires more than one of these with a few pounds of ammo.

pathdoc

If what you want is something to get you basic meat to eat, a .22LR/.410 combo has to be given consideration. In which case, my vote is for the current Savage Model 42 - small, light, handy - and at close range, the .410 with a solid slug might even get you a small deer. Yes, I know it's far from ideal, but desperate times require desperate measures.

Boomer58cal

Ratshooter...

That's a neat little gun, I hear they're pretty accurate too. It would be fun to shoot rats :D

I think I'd still take my Savage 340 in 22 hornet for a survival gun though. I like the fact that it's reloadable. You can actually reload 6 or 700 rds per pound of powder! How's that for efficacy? My handloads make 900 lbs of energy, 2 or 3 times what a 22 magnum makes and a thousand rounds weighs what 5 pounds.

The one big advantage 22 Magnum has over the Hornet is ammo availability. You can't find it anywhere. Although most of the rimfire cartridges have been pretty tough to keep in stock this year.

In a SHTF I'm a big fan or rimfire cartridges as a secondary weapon system, but I don't think they should be your primary weapons. I'd like to have something with a little more wallop for when things get up close and personal or for when you really need to reach out and touch someone. For that I prefer something like .223/7.62x39 or even a pistol caliber carbine.

Boomer

Last edited:

PetahW

Regardless of whatever firearm's available/used, the ultimate survival tool is between your ears..........

A person can have the best of anything, but won't survive very long if their head's not on straight.

hbhobby

I got a savage 24 in .30-30 / 20 ga specifically for this purpose. It breaks down fairly easillto fit in a pack. Will kill just about anything i am going to encounter and isnt too terribly heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.