Thoughts on a new semiauto shotgun

Deerhunter

That is a big part of it for me. I want something that is going to handle 2 3/4 shells when I am in the dove field and then be able to handle the heavy 3 in shells for ducks in the swamp.

Wish I could find a place to shoot them all and see which one I like best.

oneounceload

Wish I could find a place to shoot them all and see which one I like best.

Go to your local shotgun club and either rent, or borrow, as many as necessary to help you make up your mind. Ask for help - most folks will gladly let you try their gun

Technosavant

Technosavant:

Your post here is off base. First off, this thread is specifically about autoloading shotguns. That is what DeerHunter is looking for. He is not looking for a pump action.

Secondly, you opinion of the 105 CTi does not match that of most people. The gun was a failure from the start, and was never accepted in the marketplace and never sold in any significant numbers. It was a complete commercial failure.

In any event, Remington discontinued the shotgun this year, due to its failure to sell. Just go to the Remington Website, or look at their 2010 catalog. The 105 CTi is gone. The gun simply could not compete against Browning, Beretta, or Benelli.

Now whether it was all the fault of the gun, or also included some incompetence from Remington's Marketing Department to not properly promote it, it is hard to say. But since it was a commercial failure and is now discontinued, it cannot be cited as showing that Remington is competitive in the autoloading shotgun market.

1) I didn't recommend a pump.
2) Most people don't own a 105 CTi. I do. I was not aware they discontinued it, but I love mine. It works great, shoots great, and I fail to see how any B gun is superior in any way. Yes, they botched it out of the gate. So did Chevrolet with the Corvette. The majority of the people I see griping about the CTi are folks who are married to Beretta and put way too much stock in early units.
3) It was a competitive product after the "II" revision. Price was alongside the Beretta 391 and it had some innovative features. But it's gone, and so be it.

So get over yourself. It isn't about you, and I'd think you aren't the one to determine if a post is "off base." It was on topic, and that's enough.

I was offering another alternative, and I did not realize it was discontinued. Darn shame, it is a great shotgun and fits me like a glove.

Deerhunter

loverme85

Thanks. I have been starting to lean that way. Didn't really want to spend that much money but from all the comments I just might.

LanceOregon

I honestly have concerns over Remington's future. My two favorite Model 700's are my two model 700 LV SF rifles. Yet, Remington could not seem to be able to figure out a way to successfully sell that firearm either. After having it on the market for several years, they finally discontinued it a couple of years ago.

That rifle was just as light and handy as the Sako Tikka T3. Had a much better stock and recoil pad too. Far easier to shoot than the T3. And both of mine are super accurate too.

However, it cost close to $300 more than the Tikka T3. But it was easily a much better made rifle.

About the only rifle similar to the 700 LV SF on the market now is the Winchester 70 Coyote Light. However, I see that its suggested retail price is now all the way up to $1,200 !!

At least Winchester sees a need for a rifle like that in big game rifle calibers. So despite the fact that it has the name "Coyote" on it, most of the calibers for it are now for big game. In contrast, Remington almost entirely marketed the 700 LV SF for varmint hunting. All of the standard calibers were caliber .22 or smaller.

They did make special runs of the rifle from time to time in big game calibers like .243 Win, 7mm-08, and .308 Win. But unless you really shopped around and looked specifically for these special run rifles ( as I did ), they were hard to find.

So it almost seemed like Remington acknowledged that the 700 LV SF made a handy light rifle for big game too. But then they never really tried to market the gun for that purpose. It remained just a "varmint" rifle in their lineup.

Deerhunter

LanceOregon not be be a jerk about it but this Thread is on a shotgun not rifles. I am looking to get a new autoloading shotgun.

skynyrd1911

I don't shoot 3 inch, so I own a couple of Remington 1100's .one 12 and one in 20. Both are black synthetic. Love em! If I were to buy a NEW shotgun in my price range, I'd get a 390 Beretta.

armallard

I don't shoot 3 inch, so I own a couple of Remington 1100's .one 12 and one in 20. Both are black synthetic. Love em! If I were to buy a NEW shotgun in my price range, I'd get a 390 Beretta.

x2 I own a 390 silver mallard and love it.They're hard to find but i know where another one is at a decent price. Seeing that the 391's are almost 2x the price for almost the same gun if as good.But my 1187 has been a good gun but its one of the 1st ones when they came out a buddy got 2yrs. ago it been at the smith twice since then. Hey skynyrd1911 do you shoot skeet much? I'm just right down the road from you.

Last edited:

LanceOregon

LanceOregon not be be a jerk about it but this Thread is on a shotgun not rifles. I am looking to get a new autoloading shotgun.

Well, but you are saying that you are considering a Remington. And I think that there is a lot of recent evidence that Remington is screwing up in many ways as as a gun manufacturer.

They certainly lost a lot of money with all the R&D they sank into the 105 CTi shotgun.

Deerhunter

So I got up to Cabela's in PA this weekend. Was nice to hold the Benelli, Super Black Eagle II, the Remington 11-87 and the Browning Maxus one after the other. The Remington is noticably heavier. Wish the guy behind the counter had a clue about guns though. He really couldn't give me any information. I have been trying to use all the info from here and what the guys at the gun shops (Bass Pro in MD, Cabela's in PA and French Creek OUtfitter's in PA) had to say. I know everyone has their favorites so I figure if I add it all up there will be an overlap and that is the good info.

Does anyone have the Browning Maxus? From what I have seen as far as breakdown and feel I am leaning that way. Never thought much about getting anything made by Browning. I know there are people out there that really like them though.

For those that have a Browning Maxus....How do you like it? Do you regret buying it? How does it handle the 2 3/4, 3 and 3.5 in shells?

Thanks

zippy13

Deerhunter said:
So I got up to Cabela's in PA this weekend… Wish the guy behind the counter had a clue about guns though.
Another reason to patronize your local gun shop before the big box stores run them all out of business. May I suggest, you get out of the big box store and visit a local gun club so you can see these guns in action, talk with their owners, and hopefully borrow a few for test rounds.

If your approach a stranger with, "I see you're shooting a Brownelli… I'm about to buy a new gun and it's on my short list. Can you spare me a few minutes to talk about your gun?" and you'll probably have made his day by recognizing his gun and made a new friend, too.

Deerhunter

Zippy

I was just looking at Bass Pro and Cabelas due to their larger selection. I will not be buying from them. I would rather go to a local shop, unless the price is way off. French Creek Outfitters in PA is a small shop near where I grew up. They do a great job there of helping with any issues and they also know their stuff. No mall ninja stories coming from the staff. I just felt like I was being pushed on the more expensive stuff when I was there. It was unusual for the place though. Usually they won't push anything. The guy didn't have an 11-87 when I was in there but grabbed a Benelli SBEII real fast to show me.

I guess I need to try and find a place (around Alexandria, VA) to try and get a chance to shoot a couple of these guns.

oneounceload

If your approach a stranger with, "I see you're shooting a Brownelli… I'm about to buy a new gun and it's on my short list. Can you spare me a few minutes to talk about your gun?" and you'll probably have made his day by recognizing his gun and made a new friend, too.

And offer to buy him a Coke or beer afterwards and he'll even let you shoot it - the ONLY way to tell how well you'll like the gun. Shouldering one in a store is one thing - breaking targets consistently will let you know if it's the one for you

zippy13

Deerhunter said:
I was just looking at Bass Pro and Cabelas due to their larger selection. I will not be buying from them. I would rather go to a local shop, unless the price is way off.
Good man!
1-oz said:
And offer to buy him a Coke or beer afterwards and he'll even let you shoot it
If you really want to make some points: If offered to shoot a round, buy a box of the same shells he shoots and offer him the hulls afterwards.

crghss

Deerhunter thats what I do, go to Gander Mtn or Bass Pro to get the feel and look of the gun I want to buy. Then go find the cheapest price. Because your right, they have the biggest selection.

I had 1100 for years. I reloaded and shot thousands of shells. Never had a problem, not once.

I've been looking for a new turkey gun and have found the Remington's to be a little heavy also. But I like the fit. Maybe cause I grew up on a 1100.

Bought a lot flyfishing tackle from French Creek Outfitters, old store before they moved. I'm guessing you where home visiting and hit the Box Stores?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Deerhunter, stop by PGC Trap and Skeet Center and try out one of the rental 391s. Then look around and see what folks have that you may like.

A polite newcomer can get to try out some fine shotguns.