Thoughts on a new semiauto shotgun

BigJimP

To answer your question about stripping a Benelli down / cleaning - its a piece of cake. It takes me about 10 min to completely strip it down ( take the trigger assembly out, etc ) clean it - and put it back into battery.

How often do you have to clean - not often probably / but its my opinion that a gun should be cleaned every time its fired - so that is what I do. After a day in the field, a day of sporting clays, whatever - my guns get cleaned and lubed and put away in the safe / ready for the next day.

Technosavant

Remington has not stayed competitive with companies like Beretta, Benelli, and Browning, all of whom continue to innovate and come out with new improved shotguns on an on-going basis.

Remington hasn't done as much as Beretta, but then again, there isn't much innovation needed for a pump gun. In the semiauto world, the 105 CTi was plenty innovative (a little too much so at first, but now it's sorted out). Nobody else has a semiauto that feeds and ejects out the bottom. Not too many using carbon fiber on the receiver either.

Deerhunter

BigJimP wish I was there to catch that deal.
I also agree that guns need to be cleaned everytime you take them out. I may have asked the question wrong. I do that sometimes, what I meant was... I was just wondering about the action and keeping it clean so as to not have jams. I have heard different things about auto loaders and how dirty they get and then they jam up.

I never even considered buying a Benelli before I got into duck and goose hunting. I would see ads on tv and in magazines about them and see the price. Kind of compared them a lot to the glock......over priced POS. I am sure that will start something for another forum. Anyway, I don't like Glocks and figured that the Benelli might be a lot like that, too much hype and a high price tag for nothing.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. Now if I could just find a place to go shoot a Benelli or any of the others.

publius

i'm a remington man on everything except their auto's. to me Beretta and Benelli are the only choices. I like Beretta.

BigJimP

Deerhunter .... too bad man, only one 10ga ...( not to be repeated again ) !

Anyway - no, it isn't necessary to clean a gun very often. I loaned my Benelli Super Sport to a "youth event" weekend shoot ...and my guess is they put close to 1,000 shells thru it ...and it never failed.

I have put as many as 300 shells a day thru it / quial hunting in the morning / some sporting clays in the afternoon / then another quail hunt in the evening. It was a pretty new and innovative design in a semi-auto at that point - so I was letting a number of guys test it ...and they probably put another 250 thru it - with no failures. Even practicing for a sporting clays tournament / I may put 300 shells a day thru it with no issues ...

We can discuss handguns in another thread (I'm no Glock fan - I'm more of a 1911 guy in semi-autos) - but Benelli puts out a very high quality gun in my opinion. They have at least a dozen or so models - but in general, they are more expensive than most of the gas guns / the Super Sport's that I have in 12 and 20ga sell retail for about $ 1,875 right now in my area - and command close to $1,200 on the used market ( if you can find them ).

Deerhunter

Well I guess I will just have to find a place that has the Remington 11-87 and the Benelli Super Black Eagle and check those out side by side for feel.

Just bought the girlfriend a ring and will be asking her to marry me Saturday. Been wanting to get an autoloader, this should get me the permission to spend the money. I told her that when we get engaged (she doesn't know I have it planned for Saturday) that the right thing to do would be to buy me an engagment present. Then I told her I just need her permission to get it and I will take care of the rest. She was cool with that.

Deerhunter

Yeah well we just bought a house together and will be getting engaged this weekend. Cool part about her is she doesn't mind me going hunting. It is a respect thing not to go drop $1500 on a gun with out her knowing. She bought us a 20.5 cubic Ft freezer so we would have more room for the deer I get, plus now that I am getting into duck hunting. She even told me to start planning my deer hunting trip for 2011, anywhere I want to go. I think I will ask before I buy, makes her think she has a say.

Technosavant

The Beretta UGBXcel does - but it isn't cheap

The UGB doesn't really feed from the bottom though, at least not in any similar fashion to traditional tube magazine shotguns. It's a really weird design, it apparently works well, and yes, it is astonishingly expensive.

oneounceload

Yeah well we just bought a house together and will be getting engaged this weekend. Cool part about her is she doesn't mind me going hunting. It is a respect thing not to go drop $1500 on a gun with out her knowing. She bought us a 20.5 cubic Ft freezer so we would have more room for the deer I get, plus now that I am getting into duck hunting. She even told me to start planning my deer hunting trip for 2011, anywhere I want to go. I think I will ask before I buy, makes her think she has a say.

SMART man - remember this - if momma ain't happy, ain't NO BODY happy......
congrats!

LanceOregon

Remington hasn't done as much as Beretta, but then again, there isn't much innovation needed for a pump gun. In the semiauto world, the 105 CTi was plenty innovative (a little too much so at first, but now it's sorted out). Nobody else has a semiauto that feeds and ejects out the bottom. Not too many using carbon fiber on the receiver either.

Technosavant:

Your post here is off base. First off, this thread is specifically about autoloading shotguns. That is what DeerHunter is looking for. He is not looking for a pump action.

Secondly, you opinion of the 105 CTi does not match that of most people. The gun was a failure from the start, and was never accepted in the marketplace and never sold in any significant numbers. It was a complete commercial failure.

In any event, Remington discontinued the shotgun this year, due to its failure to sell. Just go to the Remington Website, or look at their 2010 catalog. The 105 CTi is gone. The gun simply could not compete against Browning, Beretta, or Benelli.

Now whether it was all the fault of the gun, or also included some incompetence from Remington's Marketing Department to not properly promote it, it is hard to say. But since it was a commercial failure and is now discontinued, it cannot be cited as showing that Remington is competitive in the autoloading shotgun market.

Last edited:

LanceOregon

Anyway - no, it isn't necessary to clean a gun very often. I loaned my Benelli Super Sport to a "youth event" weekend shoot ...and my guess is they put close to 1,000 shells thru it ...and it never failed.

I know a fellow who got his wife into shooting sporting clays, so she would not become a "widow" on Sundays when he went to the local club to shoot. He bought her a nice Browning Gold shotgun.

At the end of the day of shooting, he took the shotguns back into his gun room ( a converted bedroom ). He would clean his shotgun, but he never cleaned hers.

He told me that they regularly shot sporting clays, and also went hunting together a few times, and that he did not clean her Browning Gold for 2 1/2 years!! He bragged to me that it never had a malfunction of any kind.

He and his wife did eventually divorce a few years after he told me that story. I have no idea if this played any role in the divorce.

So this should be a lesson for DeerHunter. If he eventually gets his wife a shotgun, he should probably keep it clean, or teach her how to clean it.

Deerhunter

I looked for the Remington 105 CTi and couldn't find much on it. Now I know why.

She has no iterest in guns or hunting. Wish she was but she doesn't. At least she understands it though. She isn't against me having guns. I guess that works out for me, now I can spend the extra money on guns for me and I don't have to get her any. 2 seasons ago I had shot a deer and the place I took it too didn't make the spicey sausage she liked, told me I had to go "Catch" her another deer. My 12 and 8 year old girls promply explained that you don't catch deer. Now she does it to mess with them, most importantly she has no problem with me going hunting with the guys. I think I will keep her around.

Now back to figuring out what shotgun I want. Pretty sure after tomorrow (when she gets the ring) I will be set to go get it.

pythagorean

I've had Benelli and Remington (1100 and the lighter one).
I like them both but they feel and operate differently.
I found the inertia bolt on the Benelli confusing for me as far as loading and unloading. The feel of the Remington 1100 is my preference.
I suppose the best way to choose is to shoot them side by side and that would make up your mind better than any input here.

DBAR

I had a Benelli, but sold it. I now have a 11-87, and I like it a lot better than the Benelli. The 11-87 has never jammed on me, and I've done a few things to it. I use it for 3 gun competitions, and it's very, very reliable. It works with the light trap loads, and has never failed me....

REMINGTON1187AFTER.jpg

DBAR