THOSE People At The Range

TruthTellers

Don't get me started on crying children. Thankfully I pay dues to a GOOD range and go to the areas during days and times few people are there and have never had to deal with kids. Every retail store should have its own daycare section so the kids can be plopped there for however long it takes the parents to shop, even shopping an hour before closing it's like you can't avoid the dopey parents who drag their 3 yr old to the dollar store at 8 at night.

As for range aggravations, the only one I have is the outdoor rifle range where every 5 minutes someone new shows up and we have to stop and wait 5 minutes for them to put up targets, get 5 mins to shoot before another person shows up to repeat the process.

Because of that, I've just given up on the rifle range, once I sight in a rifle I don't feel a need to go back much and I'd rather keep up with my pistol shooting anyway.

Jim Watson

At one indoor range I go to they allow rifles up to 30/06 indoors. One time i was shooting a 22, someone decied to occupy the lane next to me firing a 223.

Yeah, I know the bullet traps are rifle rated and it is a profit center for the dealer, but an indoor rifle range is downright painful. The one here is divided into two bays, a 25 and a 50 yard side but they will let a rifle on the short side. I just take a break and see if they run out of ammo before I have to leave.

44 AMP

Staff
In one of his columns shortly after we enetered Iraq Jeff Cooper wrote that many of his correspondents were appalled by the careless weapons handling they saw. And those were supposed to be "professionals."

One of the "curses" of the modern era is that people assume that "professional" means "skilled" or at worst, "competent". And that is simply not always the case.

Professional simply means you get paid for doing it. It is your profession, but that has little bearing on how good you actually are at doing it. In a way, its like evolution, the only measurement of success is that you survive, not that you're the best at what you do.

The firearms competence of the majority of our troops today is entirely the result of what the military has taught them, and what they, as individuals decided to learn. And, its NOT a new problem.

Pahoo

There are times when "WE" are all; One of those People !!!

One of the "curses" of the modern era is that people assume that "professional" means "skilled" or at worst, "competent". And that is simply not always the case.
Like many of you folks, I have been involved with firearms, most of my life. I suspect that I will be on this learning curve, for a few more years. Given that, we can all take the opertunity to "mentor" other folks. I do this, just about every day and my latest, is a 9-yr. old lad. I run into "Those-People" at private ranges, as well. .....:mad:

I am an RSO Hunter Ed Instructor, firearm safety instructor, NMLRA instructor and so on. ...... :rolleyes:

MENTORING;
I rarely go to public ranges and when I do, I wear one of my Blaze-Orange caps from the DNR. I start using range commands when things get too loose. Surprisingly Enough, folks pay attention and get the idea. One mother even thanked me even though later, she told me that she hated guns and that most should be banned. .... :confused::confused:

My main point is, we can always mentor folks to the best of our experience.

Last edited:

7.62 man

I belong to a club range & we police our own membership. Everyone has had training & is supposed to know the rules and follow them. If I see someone that is not following the rules or is doing something questionable, I have the right & duty to stop them to advise them of the hazards of their actions.
Keeping the club range safe is everyone job.
So don't run off with your feelings hurt, stand up & tell them what's wrong.

armoredman

Professional simply means you get paid for doing it. It is your profession, but that has little bearing on how good you actually are at doing it. In a way, its like evolution, the only measurement of success is that you survive, not that you're the best at what you do.

The firearms competence of the majority of our troops today is entirely the result of what the military has taught them, and what they, as individuals decided to learn. And, its NOT a new problem.
I have worn body armor to my Dept qualifications when I knew certain staff were going to be there. Being paid to carry a gun is no guarantee of competence.

stagpanther

I have worn body armor to my Dept qualifications when I knew certain staff were going to be there. Being paid to carry a gun is no guarantee of competence.
That's almost funny, if it weren't sad.

DaleA

I have worn body armor to my Dept qualifications when I knew certain staff were going to be there.
Yowser! I agree with Stagpanther's previous comment about this.

I do remember a thread in the past where folks posted pictures of high tech ranges from REALLY professional organizations (FBI, Secret Service, SWAT teams etc.) and if you looked closely you could almost always see some bullet marks in the ceilings and walls.

Heck, Massad Ayoob famously, publicly, posted about putting a round through the ceiling of a range when he checked a swing out cylinder revolver and failed to notice there was a round in one chamber. He was testing the trigger pull and eventually the live round came up and fired. Note: I have a LOT of respect for him posting it.

Jim567

Army Infantry, peace time 1970s.
Seemed like everyone walked around with the finger on the trigger.
Cleared Chambers were stressed.
Never heard a word about sweeping or fingers in the trigger guard.