THOSE People At The Range

cdoc42

Pa has State-maintained public ranges with a sign posting rules and regulations. One day I was there, and all tables were occupied, so I just sat in the car, waiting for an opening.

At a break in the action, two State Game Officers exited their car in the parking lot, and went to the line, and asked, "Who is the Range Officer?" Everyone stood like deer in headlights. They pointed to the Rules sign: "At all times, someone on the line must be appointed to be the range safety officer."

Everybody on the line got fined.

stagpanther

Pa has State-maintained public ranges with a sign posting rules and regulations. One day I was there, and all tables were occupied, so I just sat in the car, waiting for an opening.

At a break in the action, two State Game Officers exited their car in the parking lot, and went to the line, and asked, "Who is the Range Officer?" Everyone stood like deer in headlights. They pointed to the Rules sign: "At all times, someone on the line must be appointed to be the range safety officer."

Everybody on the line got fined.
Really? I've used ranges on public hunting reserve lands similar to this in state forests. Do the rules explicitly state the qualifications and/or procedures of an appointed range safety officer? If they don't I don't see how this is legally enforceable.

HiBC

When a range is public and unsupervised, and when the situation calls for it,
SOMEONE has to step up and play RSO. I've done it.

Its not being a control freak. Its safety. Done right,most folks appreciate it.

There will be times to call a cease fire . Folks need to set/ check targets.

Or someone might need a "suggestion".

Each of us is responsible for safety. Its life and death. That CAN mean packing up. Or it CAN mean tactfully,respectfully educating someone. It CAN mean deliberate intervention "Whoa!! Stop! Cease fire! Cease Fire!! Stop what you are doing!! Then educate.

Its pretty cool to have a public range.Its pretty cool to have National Forest or BLM public land to hunt on,

There will always be idiots. We have to figure out how to cope. Or stay home and let the idiots have it all,

stagpanther

When a range is public and unsupervised, and when the situation calls for it,
SOMEONE has to step up and play RSO. I've done it.

Its not being a control freak. Its safety. Done right,most folks appreciate it.

There will be times to call a cease fire . Folks need to set/ check targets.
Agree 100%--in fact if I arrive at a public range that's not being actively supervised--I automatically assume control and do it myself. I've never had anyone complain about it or challenge it. The only thing I've had to be careful about is how far to "push" the weapons control thing, I don't tell people they have to submit their firearms for inspection--I just have to take their word for it that bolts, magazines and ammunition are out when clearing the range cold for target change. Although rare, once in a while groups of what situational awareness tells me are gang members or dangerous-behavior oddballs show up in which case I simply choose to come back another day.

cdoc42

@stagpanther: "Really? I've used ranges on public hunting reserve lands similar to this in state forests. Do the rules explicitly state the qualifications and/or procedures of an appointed range safety officer? If they don't I don't see how this is legally enforceable."

There are no listed qualifications. I think it is on the same basis noted by HiBC.

At the same time, I think the game officers get a bit overzealous. At the same range, there is a small target setup for handguns, off to the side and not in line with the firing line of the rifle range. I took a fellow shooter there for a handgun lesson and we used balloons as targets so he could immediately see the results of his technique. When we finished up, we cleaned all the balloon remnants, staples, etc., and tossed them in the trash. On the way back to the car the game officers called us over to their car -never got out - and asked what we were shooting, even though it was clearly visible from their location. We told them but it was really a prelude to them bringing to our attention that the "Rules" board indicated nothing other than paper targets can be used. Even though we cleaned everything up, he got a $40 fine. I can see their point if people start shooting glass, cans, etc., and don't clean it up, but I thought this was a bit over the top. I never go to that range anymore.

Nathan

Then bring it up at the next meeting lest the entire membership is potentially liable for truly negligent behavior.

That is a key point. Never let poor range safety go unaddressed. Do it yourself or report it to the club leadership. I find that to be important for maintaining a club’s safety record and “open” status.

Once I had a "kid" next to me with a nice rifle - while I was down range putting up a fresh target, he fired a shot while range was "cold" stating that his lane was not cold. He did this several times even after being told not to. The last time he shot while I was down range, the shot was very close to me. I walked back to him and asked to see his accurate rifle. After making sure it was unloaded, I grabbed it by the barrel and slammed it onto the conrete bench shattering the stock and crushing the scope and bolt handle. The I stated " NEVER AGAIN FIRE WHILE PEOPLE ARE DOWN RANGE!" and I left quickly never to return.

Wow! That was aggressive. How did the lawsuit go? Seriously, most are going to sue you for the rifle value. They’ll just lie about whatever caused it. I’m not sure if it would even matter legally. Shooting when someone is down range is against the rules. Destruction of property is ….well…illegal.

I also act as an RSO at all times training others to be acting RSO's to keep everyone safe so they are having fun.
This is just common courtesy. I was at a public range one time and saw a guy set his AR15 down loaded on a cold range call. I asked him to unload it. He cycled the bolt and removed the mag. He says, “are you ok?” I said, now unload the chamber and lock it open please. With discust at this kid telling him what to do, he did. I think he almost pissed himself when he saw that live round pop out, but he just acted pissed at me for holding him accountable.

I’d handle him the same today at 50, except I would call the RSO over and ask him to explain what he did to the RSO. That was about the same time I quit going to the dnr range.

ahh!

Even at my private range, I keep both eyes open. Lots of people don’t get it.

I’m struggling to get used to shotgun ranges! Many times those are circle or rectangular shaped and you shoot towards the center. Yes, you shoot towards other shooters. Crazy, huh? Shooting positions facing each other are about 150 yards apart at minimum. Have to use 7.5 or smaller target shells. I was about 100yds up range from some workers. They told me to shoot, but I said I don’t shoot towards people.

mehavey

I’m struggling to get used to shotgun ranges! Many times those are circle or rectangular
shaped and you shoot towards the center. Yes, you shoot towards other shooters.
What course of fire is that ?
Skeet/Trap/Clays . . . I've never seen it.
:confused:

stagpanther

At the same time, I think the game officers get a bit overzealous. At the same range, there is a small target setup for handguns, off to the side and not in line with the firing line of the rifle range. I took a fellow shooter there for a handgun lesson and we used balloons as targets so he could immediately see the results of his technique. When we finished up, we cleaned all the balloon remnants, staples, etc., and tossed them in the trash. On the way back to the car the game officers called us over to their car -never got out - and asked what we were shooting, even though it was clearly visible from their location. We told them but it was really a prelude to them bringing to our attention that the "Rules" board indicated nothing other than paper targets can be used. Even though we cleaned everything up, he got a $40 fine. I can see their point if people start shooting glass, cans, etc., and don't clean it up, but I thought this was a bit over the top. I never go to that range anymore.
Most of the time when stuff like this happens in my experience--it's likely there has been a long trail of abuse and complaints that led up to the action. Most of the ranger types are not paid to sit in their cars and watch the leaves fall while waiting for the right moment to tag someone with a ticket. The people responsible probably will never be caught/fined--but by "getting the word out" they hope people will play nice. If not, they might just say the heck with it and close the range altogether--I've seen it happen several times.

44 AMP

Staff
Yes, you shoot towards other shooters.

I always thought that at shotgun ranges (where they shoot those little clay things) you shot UP IN THE AIR where the clay birds fly, NOT at other shooters...:rolleyes:

Most of the ranger types are not paid to sit in their cars and watch the leaves fall while waiting for the right moment to tag someone with a ticket.

Most aren't. A few are, and those are the ones you're likely to meet and remember unfavorably....

SIGSHR

The number of people who were never taught manners, consideration for others, to follow the rules has grown so large they constitute an alternate society. You wonder what the "norm" is.

stagpanther said:
Most of the time when stuff like this happens in my experience--it's likely there has been a long trail of abuse and complaints that led up to the action. Most of the ranger types are not paid to sit in their cars and watch the leaves fall while waiting for the right moment to tag someone with a ticket. The people responsible probably will never be caught/fined--but by "getting the word out" they hope people will play nice. If not, they might just say the heck with it and close the range altogether--I've seen it happen several times.
According to a good friend who lives in PA, some of the public ranges on state game lands were closed for lengthy periods of time a few years ago. He said the stated reason was "renovations," but he saw no renovations being made, and they stayed closed much longer than should have been needed to renovate an outdoor range.

I don't remember if the one he used to go to has re-opened or not. I'll have to ask.

Nathan

mehavey said:
What course of fire is that ?
Skeet/Trap/Clays . . . I've never seen it.

Skeet & trap on one side and clays along 2 other sides. I believe it is safe, just eerie.

mehavey

Skeet & trap on one side and clays along 2 other sides...
I've never seen those laid out in any configuration other than side-by-side in a string... all firing roughly same direction/downrange where shot falls into the same field(s)....
Never back anywhere even remotely at other firing positions.:eek:

(Remind me where we'd find anything different and I'll avoid it like the plague. ;))

zukiphile

Aguila Blanca said:
According to a good friend who lives in PA, some of the public ranges on state game lands were closed for lengthy periods of time a few years ago. He said the stated reason was "renovations," but he saw no renovations being made, and they stayed closed much longer than should have been needed to renovate an outdoor range.

I've been using a state range located in a conservancy area in Ohio for several years. I live in the more populated northern part of the state so it's the only state rifle range within a two hour drive. It's simple; a gravel lot, benches maybe eight feet apart and back stops at various distances.

It closed on 12.31.22 for renovations, but it may not re-open ever depending on whether a rare sub-species of something is identified.

If it's renovated, it will be by new state standards. All positions will be under a roof and closer together with mesh dividers between each position. Boards are mounted above the targets apparently to divert high shots, but those boards also reflect the sound back at shooters.

Louder and no direct sunlight. This is another step in the march of progress that seems like an expensive regression.

stuckinthe60s

funny some of you complain about brass hitting and burning you.
I was trained in the military to get use to it , it was part of life and got yelled at if my concentration flinched .01" when on target.
to this day, when on my front sight, nothing distracts me. even the heat of a spent casing.

funniest thing that ever happened to me was at the world shoot. im a lefty. I was shooting a semi auto and 2 birds were thrown. I hit the first one and the spent hull bounced off my forearm, it then landed spent primer down perfectly on the rib opening up and it sat perched there. I couldn't see. but since I shot that pair so many times I just kept swinging and pulled the trigger hitting the second bird.....then the hull fell off. everyone including the judge saw it and called it remarkable shooting.

D Eagle 50

At my outdoor range in northern NJ, that would NEVER happen. First of all, a 4-year-old would not be permitted on the firing line. Second, while the range is cold, magazines must be removed and chamber flags inserted. If you step over the safety line you'll get a scolding from the RSO. Lay a finger on the bench and you might be done for the day. Handle a firearm while someone is downrange? You'll have your membership revoked. Shoot at any form of wildlife? Even if it's a mouse you'll have your membership revoked.

Throughout its 90-year history, no one has ever been shot and they intend to keep it that way. I prefer not to get shot when I go to the range, so I don't mind the rules.

reddog81

If you fire while someone is down range at our club, you would be mighty lucky to ever shoot there again. If not arrested.

Where in the post does it mention rounds being fired while down range? The errant shot was one extra hole in his target…

I once had a little kid, maybe 6, 7, years old, point a damned kids .22 rifle at me at the range, NOT accidentally, apparently because he thought it was funny and cool.

His Dad wasn't paying attention until I yelped -- LOUD -- at the kid.

Dad turned around, fire in his eyes, until I said something to the effect of I'd appreciate your son NOT pointing a rifle at me.

Much to his credit, Dad grabbed the rifle, lit into the kid, and turned the kid over his knee. I just got back into my car and left.

SIGSHR

In one of his columns shortly after we enetered Iraq Jeff Cooper wrote that many of his correspondents were appalled by the careless weapons handling they saw. And those were supposed to be "professionals."
At one indoor range I go to they allow rifles up to 30/06 indoors. One time i was shooting a 22, someone decied to occupy the lane next to me firing a 223.