THOSE People At The Range

zeke

Yeah, other than the one errant round I'm not sure what the problem is. If anything it sounds like they should be visiting the range more often. Brass can fly off in any number of directions. New shooters usually have no idea where their brass is going.

People show up and shoot at the shooting range. That's what happens.
If you fire while someone is down range at our club, you would be mighty lucky to ever shoot there again. If not arrested.

Paul B.

One day at the range there were two of us. I was at the extreme right hand bench that the other shooter was at the extreme left hand bench, a distance of about 35 to 40 yards, possibly a little more.

The range was called cold and I was putting up a new target when, "BANG!" a shot goes off. Then another. That idiot at to other end decided he could start shooting because he though I was safe from his shots. I informed him he was grossly in error. I told him that if he wanted to argue the point I would go to the office and have the range master decide. I already knew what the outcome would have been if he's wanted to dispute it. You see the range was self governed at the time. Senior club member was more or less the acting RO. Probably 90 percent of the time that was me. I spent a lot of time there after retirement. Then , they hired a couple of retired corrections officers to be regular ROs. One guy is pretty good but the other? We're supposed to be allowed to set up a chronograph but this one RO will not allow it. The club said it was his call regardless that club rules allowed it. I complained long and hard but to no avail. After that he would harass me in one way or another. Constantly checking my gun, picking them up without asking permission. Finally, I said to hell with it. I was at the point where it might have looked like the OK corral was a Sunday school picnic. The sad thing as most of that were long time members complained about his antics and the powers that be refuse to get rid of him. He ruined what was one hell of a nice place to shoot. :mad:
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
The outdoor range near me is a good one, its not even opened without an RO present, and when the range is called cold, NO ONE including the RO touches an uncased gun. You can carry gun cases from your car to the shooting bench but you can't open them (or unholster a worn pistol) until the range is called HOT.

The RO calls the range cold, or hot, NO ONE else, and its ALL the shooting lanes, together. There is no "one lane hot" when the range is COLD. Period.

Break any safety or range rule and you are ejected. No excuses, no argument, no exceptions.

Its really easy to follow the rules, and anyone who can't or won't isn't welcome to shoot there.

SIGSHR

Damaging someone else's equipment is not a good way to "win friends and influence people."
I shoot only at indoors ranges-New Jersey. At one-with RSOs-an inexperienced shooter back out of his lane past the safety line with a loaded AR-15, I was on him in a flash. The RSOs kept an eye on him after that. At another with no RSOs but a window that allows the front counter to observe the range I have helped new and untrained shooters, the owners have thanked me for that.
Don't like careless and inconsiderate shooters anymore than I like careless and inconsiderate drivers,inconsiderate and irresponsible parents but an approach other than the DI chewing out the recruit works better IMHO.

Loupgarou

Really, it is the price of unmitigated stupidity more than freedom.

That is to say, stupid should hurt... and it no longer does.
I don't mean (just) physical pain but the much more effective societal pain.

People who did stupid things used to be ostracized by the community. Kids were raised with standards and if they didn't abide by them, the parents were *rightfully* embarrassed... and the kids punished.
Parents who raised kids without standards were known and to anyone with sense, it was embarrassing and a strong incentive to not be stupid, or let your kids do stupid things, or to embarrass your parents.

Certainly, this system was not always perfect, or even right, but it was effective, and it no longer exists.

^This. Sums it all up.

stagpanther

The OP did not say a shot was taken while he was down changing targets--only that he found a suspicious impact on his target. Not to pick on the OP--but that's happened to me plenty of times and I eventually found out that there are no "guarantees" when putting up targets, with the possible exception if abusive shooting destroys fixed target property faster, for example someone shows up with a full auto or tries to emulate one and destroys the target holders. In the end, what it comes down to if you want semi-private privileges, then you're going to have to either buy your own land or knock on some doors and ask for permission--that's what I ended up doing.

Blackpowder revolver or a left handed flintlock with a filled pan. Let the sparks and jet of hot gases fly!

Nah, I don't want to see anybody hurt. Is it any wonder that soldiers sometimes closed their eyes when they fired their firelocks?

HKGuns

God forbid a dad takes his kids to the range. There should be more, not less of that happening.

People can’t necessarily control where their brass ejects and lands. It’s part of being at the range, deal with it.

You sound exactly like the rude curmudgeons I like to avoid when shooting. But hey, it’s all about you isn’t it…….

I have a left handed 1911 that ejects back so there! (I keeeeed, I don't want anyone hurt or any animosity at the range).

44 AMP

Staff
Had a kid at the table to my left ping me with a few 22LR cases, so I drug out my P-38 (ejects to the left) and returned the favor with a couple 9mm cases. He got the point...;)

stagpanther

Had a kid at the table to my left ping me with a few 22LR cases
That's nothing. I once had an attractive girl with a revealing tank-top shooting an AK next me, I was so distracted watching the recoil that my shots were hitting the roof of the shooting line.I was so upset I told her to make sure she brought friends next time.

zukiphile

HKguns said:
People can’t necessarily control where their brass ejects and lands. It’s part of being at the range, deal with it.

Within limits, I agree. If being hit with a piece of brass ruins your range day, that's a bit delicate.

I did see a near fist fight when a fellow with an AK that reliably launched brass four benches to the right kept shooting even though he was hitting a father and son. It took the boy being beaned in the head a couple of times for him to start crying. I had a folding mesh laundry baske5 that was less than $4 at the W store. A rock in the bottom of that kept it on his bench and caught all of AK shooter's steel brass.

I've had the experience of being in the middle of a magazine (I only load to five out of habit) and having someone say "cease fire" and walk out onto the range while people were still shooting.

I've concluded that there is a culture to ranges, much like dinner tables. Sometimes people get it wrong not out of lack of consideration or less than average intelligence; they just don't know how it is done and they are in the steepest part of the range culture acclimation learning curve.

I've found that the young fellow with his first gun and the retiree new shooter and his wife are the happiest to receive a helping comment. It's rare that someone just doesn't want to do it the right way.

Semi-automatic firearms generally toss the brass out and away from the shooter. That's the way they are supposed to work. I may be in a minority, but I blame the ranges. It's not like this is some big secret. Range lanes are typically six to maybe eight feet wide. Knowing that many firearms eject father than that, outdoor ranges around here have roll-down mesh screen between the lanes. When you start shooting, you're supposed to lower the screen to keep your brass in your lane. Last man (or woman) on a lane for the day rolls the screen up so it's out of the way.

Of course, these ranges have a roof over the firing stations. Don't know what the solution is on ranges that aren't covered.

zukiphile

Of course, these ranges have a roof over the firing stations. Don't know what the solution is on ranges that aren't covered.

My old range had some open lanes and positions under a roof. I don't shoot from under a roof or next to a revolver if I have a choice. There were no in-built screens between benches.

Half the solution has been to notice who is to the left of a position and what is on the ground before setting up. If the bench to the left has a lad with a 10/22 and a pile of banana magazines and the ground is carpeted in 22lr brass, it might not be ideal. The other half is what I'd consider normal courtesy toward someone who may not be observant. More than once I've greeted someone with "I think my brass will mostly land behind you, but let me know If I'm hitting you". That gave him an opportunity to include that information in his deliberation.

Loupgarou

The indoor range to which I go has divider panels between shooting stations. They go all the way to the roof so there's no migration of brass ejecta. It is a problem and paying customers should expect owners of gun store ranges to provide such simple cover. That would be a problem solved. But of course, then there would be no reason for bitching until something else is found to fit the aggravation bill.

44 AMP

Staff
Indoor ranges tend to be smaller (fewer lanes) and of course shorter distances, so counter (floor?) to ceiling "stalls" work well enough, but the RO (If there is one) needs to be directly behind them to see what goes on.

Outdoor ranges with a row of shooting benches (and under a roof) cover more distance, and if there are solid partitions, the RO(s) have to move constantly to cover the line.

If you're shooting a semi auto, and not at the far right end of the line, its just good manners to bring something to serve as a brass deflector or catcher. If nothing else, you can lend it to the guy on your left...:D

Cardboard box works just fine, and in my case, since I'm not good at bending over and picking up stuff, and shoot several guns that use brass that about nobody else uses, and I definitely DO want it back, using something for a brass catcher is just good sense.

FITASC

I've found that the young fellow with his first gun and the retiree new shooter and his wife are the happiest to receive a helping comment. It's rare that someone just doesn't want to do it the right way.

Yep- it is usually the "expert" who's been shooting for 35 years and knows everything who is the most complacent and thus the most dangerous

cdoc42

"People who did stupid things used to be ostracized by the community. Kids were raised with standards and if they didn't abide by them, the parents were *rightfully* embarrassed... and the kids punished.
Parents who raised kids without standards were known and to anyone with sense, it was embarrassing and a strong incentive to not be stupid, or let your kids do stupid things, or to embarrass your parents."

Brian, that is RIGHT On TARGET. I recently heard Nikki Haley mention the need to look to the future and not the past, so to speak, and altho I like what else I see about her, I plan to bring to her attention that I'm 4 weeks older than Biden but what you described is how I was raised and we shouldn't shoot all the dogs because one has rabies.