The worst handgun you own...

sheepman

My worst is a Hi Standard HD Military it is pitted and I have cold blued it but shoots very good. This is a replacement for one I had as a kid and shot Bull's eye with in Hi school (along time ago). I also used it to run a bear out of a band of sheep in 1969. A lot of of memories in this model of 22.

Last edited:

Archie

This is the worst gun I currently own:

A 1948 Colt Detective Special.

It has a cut-away trigger guard and the hammer spur bobbed. These are NOT factory alterations. They're not done poorly, but the finish wasn't cleaned up following the alterations. It still carries the original plastic - "Coltwood" I think it was called - grips. The left grip is cracked at the heel. (I would attach a picture, but my camera has gone flat. Perhaps later.)

It is a representative piece of a law enforcement officer's revolver of the 1950s and 1960s. Based on information of where it was sold originally and where I bought it, it was used in Los Angeles County, California.

The problem it has - which makes it the worst gun I own - is the standard Colt lockwork inside the revolver. When I purchased it - as a collector item, not a shooter - the timing was so bad I felt it unsafe to shoot. I spent some money to have it 'timed' and the gunsmith who did the work said it was '... as good as it was going to get...' It cycles in the double-action mode, and seems to time, but I'm not sure.

I didn't buy it to shoot it much, but I'd like to get enough ammo through it to compare with other revolvers on a chronograph survey. I'll probably leave well enough alone and keep it on the shelf.

The all time 'worst' gun I ever owned was a 'Buffalo Scout' revolver; a single action .22 long rifle/.22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum made in West Germany by the same company later known as R. G. and Rohm. Timing was poor, lockup was worse and it broke triggers at all times.

I finally sold to a guy I didn't like.

Best description of a bad trigger pull goes to Big Jim P, for his wonderful phrase: "...like trying to squeeze the head off a chicken..."

I laughed my fool head off at that one.

gunloony

Worst would be a Colt 1903 Pocket Model 38ACP. Obsolete design, really bad ergonomics, in poor condition with virtually no finish and some mechanical problems. But it was my father's, so it is staying in my accumulation for that reason even though it is not something I would buy myself.

Wildshot

The worst that I had and is now gone. Is a LC9. The worst I now own is a Ruger MKII. Fine shooter and very accurate. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. :)

jaughtman

"Worst" being subjective.....

I eagerly bought a used CZ 85 (ambi version of the 75) having read how accurate they were and it WAS accurate as all get-out. I just ALWAYS had a jam (sometimes FFE and sometimes FFT) out of each mag. I changed recoil springs, mag springs - just about everything I could think of but to no avail. Sold it to a friend with full disclosure as he wanted a gun to "customize".

J

Boncrayon

My Dad's S&W 38-44 frame 38 Special, the first revolver that would safely accommodate the the .357 round that reportedly would stop a car engine!

He used it as his service pistol in the Raleigh NC police force in his youth.

Lashlarue

Jennings J-22,will only shoot stingers, anything else jams.My other 8 handguns and three rifles all function perfectly. Have 5000 rounds for the coming war.:D:D:D:D Take that Barack!

B.N.Real

Both my revolvers are great to me as are my two 22 rifles but there is a gun or more accurately a rifle,a bb rifle that is pretty rough.

My 35 year old Crosman Powermaster 760 bb rifle.

I just pulled it out of a corner of my garage where it had been leaning in a corner for almost a decade,still loaded with bb's.

Covered in spyder webs and dust all over,the barrel outside rusted badly.

I wished I'd have videoed it before I sprayed it all over with WD-40 and shot it for the first time in a decade.

Hit right at point of aim at twenty feet.

:D-actual face when I looked at the paper target.

Nothing Chinese in this bb gun. :D

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

A Jennings J-22 that came with a tackle box a friend's dad gave me. I think he ripped me off on that deal. It shoots poorly, and is gaurenteed to jam at least once per magazine. If the tackle box falls into the lake I will miss the lures, not the gun.

Deja vu

This one is the wife's but it is in my house so I count it. It is a Taurus Judge. While it is a fun gun and shoots fairly accurately the problem is that extracting the 410 shot shells can be a real pain. Some times when shooting the 45LC the cylinder will lock up.

It is now a range gun because I will not trust it for self defense.

EagleEyeTucson

Taurus Judge Failed Twice

My new Taurus Judge 3 inch .45/410 failed after just a few rounds the very first time I shot it. I got a couple of shots of 45 cal and shotgun off and it jammed terribly. The gun store sent it back to Taurus and 2 months later it was returned to me extremely dirty with the written claim that it had been fixed. I think it was unprofessional to send it back to me dirty. Well, I cleaned it and tried to put the issue behind me. The next time I fired it, the gun failed again. This time the timing is obviously off. I'm very disappointed with Taurus for sending me a faulty weapon with the written claim it was fixed. Sending it to me filthy was just plain idiotic. This was my primary self defense weapon and could have failed me if I had to use it. I've written a letter to Taurus and stated much more detail than here. My trust and confidence in Taurus is strained.

Last edited:

GM2

Mine would be a S&W Model 1917- 45 cal. it has a good outside appearance, however the bore is pitted. It was given to me from a close friend that has since died and I just hang on to it for semimetal reason. I will never let it go .

CountryUgly

Mine is PT-99. It runs great and has never let me down but just because it says Taurus down the side it wins by default. The worst I have EVER owned was an RG in .38spl. It currently resides at the bottom of a local waterway. It parished in a tragic boating accident.

Stick895

Glock 19 Gen 1

I just don't like it and just don't shoot well with it. I have a Gen 1 Glock 22 that I do like and shoot well but the 19 just doesn't do it for me. If I thought I could get anything for it, I'd dump it.

PT-92

May 15, 2012, 10:49 PM #50
Deja vu

This one is the wife's but it is in my house so I count it. It is a Taurus Judge. While it is a fun gun and shoots fairly accurately the problem is that extracting the 410 shot shells can be a real pain. Some times when shooting the 45LC the cylinder will lock up.

Same story with the S&W Governor model--Nice novelty guns but not much more. Difference with the Governor is that it will fire .45 ACP reliably.

-Cheers

MyGreenGuns

Cobray Mod. R (LARGE IMAGE)

Was a cheap .22lr my grandpa bought to shoot at moles in the yard.

When my family was looting the house after he died, I was the only one who knew where it came from.

It was 100 bucks new, it still has the box. Its SA only, and you have to manually rotate the cylinder. I've never met anyone who has seen one.

I think of him when I shoot it. He's the greatest man who ever lived, and I'll never part with this cheapo gun.

silentargus

My S&W PPK/S. Love it to death; it was my first handgun, but it just hasn't been quite the same since that recall a few years back. It left the house fine but returned with a bunch of nicks and scrapes and was gummed up with metal shavings. Even after being completely disassembled and cleaned, it's a much pickier eater than it was before and there's an irritating halfway detent in the safety that wasn't there before I sent it in. Since none of my other guns have issues, that makes my poor PPK/S worst by default.

Grant D

I would have to say my worst is my Llama Mini Max 45 auto. Would not feed hollow points when I bought it, but I polished the feed ramp, and have had zero problems with it in the last ten years.Even got a perfect score with it to get my CHL.