The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sure, it's analogous."

No, it's not.

Airlines are far closer to monopolies than ammunition manufacturers.

Airlines don't have nearly the same level of competitive force inside their industry that ammunition manufacturers do.

Also, bag fees are convenience fees. They are not built into the structure of the fare. You can avoid a checked bag fee by not checking a bag.

In order for your example to be analagous, ammunition companies would have to charge a separate fee for, say, the box in addition to the ammunition.

Don't want the box, don't want to pay the box fee? You can count out 50, or 100, rounds from a loose bin in your local gunshop.

OK, here's what it really comes down to, Levant.

You cannot point to any single time in the history of the United States where a consumer commodity rose in response to either a real or psychological crisis, set a high price level, and then maintained that price level indefinitely after the crisis faded.

You can't do it, because it has never happened.

People who are running around screaming about how this price point and the current shortages are the "New Reality!" are simply... well, I can't put it any way other than they're idiots.

History proves the lie to their claims, but yet somehow THIS TIME! is going to be different because (fill in unsupportable claim here).

These people are doing NOTHING for the sport. In fact, they are damaging the sport for everyone because all they are doing is prolonging the crisis by causing more people to buy at higher levels for longer periods.

carguychris

mr bolo said:
anybody find any 9X18 MAK ammo? I havenet seen any in local gun stores in several years?
Marty8613 said:
BassPro has a bit of that as well. Murl's in Grandbury, TX has a pretty large supply.
mr bolo, I have seen plenty of 9x18 at Academy Sports stores in the DFW, TX area recently, mostly the "Monarch" house brand, which AFAIK is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia (brass case) or Izhmash in Russia (steel case). Your profile does not reveal your locale; are there Academy Sports stores in your area?

FWIW I have noticed that the previously common Russian brands of 9x18- Tula, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, and Wolf Military Classic- seem to have vanished from LGS shelves early in PSR2, despite the fact that healthy stocks seemed to linger all the way through PSR1. [I joked at the time that it's too bad I don't have any guns that fire 9x18 or .32 S&W Long, as every LGS seemed to have both. :)] I can't explain the greater shortage today, but I theorize that the Russians partially switched the production lines over to 9mm and .380ACP between PSR1 and PSR2, as these calibers were in higher demand than 9x18 during PSR1, not to mention now.

Marty8613, FWIW there is no letter "d" in the name of the Texas town of Granbury. ;)

Last edited:

Marty8613

Granbury

Marty8613, FWIW there is no letter "d" in the name of the Texas town of Granbury

Ha ha, I knew this, as the GPS kept reminding me of the same thing.... they most certainly don't deserve 'grand' with that miniscule gun show I drove an hour to attend last weekend.

Just so I don't get slammed, it is a pretty nice town otherwise. Darn is that lake low....

The Academy in Grapevine, also has a small amount of 9x18 Tulammo I think it was.

can someone post when Trailboss powder shows up at their local shops ???

I have 3 places I buy powder, one has nearly everything in quantity, except Trailboss...

I have all my CAS ammo loaded for the year, but I just refuse to shoot up what I have for fun, unless I have all the components to reload them, & I have very little Trailboss left...

I figure since these shops get anything that is shipping, & all have said they've been out of Trailboss for several months, if it shows up somewhere, means it's shipping, & I need to get into my local shops to check..

thanks

zincwarrior

Quote:
"I agree. Prices are not going down just like paying for checked luggage is not going away."

Not even remotely analagous.

Sure, it's analogous. When new ways to make money are discovered and profits are high, successful businesses do more of it, not less of it. As much as we don't like it, if it works they will keep doing it.

Big box sporting goods stores have discovered just how much people are willing to pay for ammunition and they will charge it as long as they can. They're not turning back - assuming the political environment doesn't get turned around.

Airlines started charging for checked baggage in response to a short term condition in oil prices and found charging for checked baggage was a huge profit stream for them. They're not turning back for a lot of years. Eventually someone like Southwest will offer free checked baggage and the market will shift back.

The problem with your argument is that in the "bog box" sporting good stores here, the prices have not risen, or if so only modestly. Same for their online versions (CTD being the obvous exception).

sfwusc

.22lr prices might not have gone up in big box stores, but they also don't have any.

Any place that actually has .22lr for sale has prices double or triple old prices.

I think we would be better off with the big box stores increasing their prices to balance out the market. People are buying it to flip bc it is mispriced at the big box stores. If they would increase the price to $35 to 40 a brick, then maybe you could actually buy a brick when you wanted/needed it.

gyvel

In my local pawnshop the other day, someone came in and actually bought a brick for $89.00 (plus tax @ 10.35%). If I hadn't been there and seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

guruatbol

Went to the indoor range tonight for date night. They had a bunch of 22lr in stock for range use only. $5.99 a box of 50.

Kind of spendy, but if I want to shoot my 22s, I know where!

Mel

9miller

Just a heads up guys, I know they are super hard to find but wideners.com just got some .355 124 grain gold dots in today for loading 9mm, 19.95/ box of 100. Grab Em before they're gone. Just ordered a few myself and wanted to spread the knowledge.
9miller

mrdaputer

Yesterday was my lucky day. I went to fleet farm they had 1000 rnd bulk 9mm so I picked some up. I stopped by walmart they had wwb 333 count I picked up 3 boxes:D

Glenn E. Meyer

Local gun show - no 22 at reasonable prices. Everything else was there.

Only two Glock 42s at $499. Still waiting on local places that have 399 to 429 advertised.

Saw a SW 69 for $739. Tempting but not this time.

Loads of guns. No shortage of anything common.

Levant

I spent some time talking to the kid running the gun counter at Walmart this weekend. He said they get more ammunition in now, including .22LR, than they have ever gotten in the 10 years he's worked that department. The problem is not supply; it's demand.

It's not that manufacturers or Walmart or anyone else is hording it; it continues to be that anything that comes in is purchased just about the minute it comes in by the perpetual line of people waiting for the shipments to arrive.

Oddly, the primary weapons threatened in the aftermath of Sandy Hook were those that shoot 5.56/.223 ammunition and those stay on the shelf now; you can buy all you want. Walmart has had bulk military 9mm from time to time as well.

As for 90 dollar a brick .22LR, well, I love to shoot but not that much. I'll continue to wait and pick up what ammunition I can find when I find it at closer-to-normal prices. Can you call 20 dollars for a WWB of 50 9mm rounds normal? 10 years ago they were 5.99. 20 years ago they were 2.99. And I've got gray hair now. Times change and there's not much you can do to stop it.

STEINER

Of the dozens of web sites that address firearms, this is the only one that I
have signed in on.
I live in Calif. and in a city that is not allowed to have ammo shipped.

All my life I have shot 22lr. Never have I thought about what I have in the house. A couple 50 round boxes and when we went out to shoot, I would always get a couple more in route.

So now, my mind has gone astray. Why do I need thousands of rounds of
22 lr?
I don't.
But for some reason, I am in the panic mode and for no reason other than
being foolish, I need more 22lr ammo.

I will not buy any 22lr ammo until it goes way below 10 cents per round for the quality stuff.
Their has got to be an honest reason why we freak out and act foolish with this nonsense.

What the hell?

Reloader2

Primer prices

Local Walmart has CCI small pistol for 39.99 per thousand
One local gun shop had a fairly good selection of CCI and Federal for 49.99
Stopped at a Big 5 and they had Winchester for 45.99, but I've seen them on sale there in the thirty five dollar range.
A larger sporting goods store on the Oregon coast wanted 7.99 per 100. Highest I've seen.

Wreck-n-Crew

can someone post when Trailboss powder shows up at their local shops ???
My LGS got some in Monday along with Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot, and a few others. Unique went fast. I picked a lb. up for a friend and grabbed a lb. of Red Dot for myself.

Lamar Jr

Holy 9mm Batman!

This afternoon I went to Cabelas and they had 9mm ammo available, both Blazer Brass and Herters. Price was $13.99 per box. I picked up a couple of boxes of each. Stocks of the BB were getting low, but they had a bunch of the Herters. This is the first time I have seen supplies of 9mm in stock, on the shelf, in any big box store in well over a year. They also had .380 available which has also been scarce as hens' teeth in my area. Very nice to see.

JimDandy

Why do I need thousands of rounds of
22 lr?

Well there is a volume discount and/or sale prices often making the buying or bricks, or cases of non LR worthwhile.

I got a case of .223 for 6 and a half a box during a July Fourth sale, or I could have bought it a box at a time for closer to 8 all year long.

Edit to Add: While Ammunition does eventually go bad, it really takes a while.

Chaz88

Went to Scheels in Des Moines IA Friday and they had a larger selection of powder than I have seen in a few months. Light on pistol powder but I did pick up a pound of Unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.