The Quarterly "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezerbiker

The local stores haven't had anything but Pyrodex or 777 for the past couple years. If I didn't need some 4227, I could get by on my stash...

Tony

sawdustdad

You sir have found the fabled unicorn and faerie dust!! Congrats!!

The local gun shop actually had 4 or 5 lbs of HP-38 on the shelf. They had a 1lb limit per person per day. I guess I should have gone back the next day for another lb, but I had 1lb at home already and didn't want to be a hoarder...

SaxonPig

Three in a row.

During the past 10 days or so I have stopped three times at the nearest Walmart to do some shopping and each time they had some 22 ammo on the shelf. This was later in the day after work and I know they put it out early in the morning so they have had enough to set of the shelf all day and not run out. They didn't have a big selection, but they had some which is more than can be said for the past two years.

Maybe they are getting more supplies? Perhaps the situation is resolving itself?

SamNavy

A buddy of mine called me a few days ago when he scored 1000rds of Winchester M-22 at normal prices, but they were the last bulk packs on the shelf. They still had a few 50rd boxes of various things though.

My LGS has 500ct's of a few models of Aguila for $38.99... best I've seen at an LGS in 2 years.

I'm headed to the Hampton Gunshow this weekend... will how the flipping market is doing.

Machineguntony

I went to Walmart three times last week, just to look for 22. No luck. Their customer service sucks. I don't ever bother calling because the calls will go to the front customer service desk, which will then transfer to their sporting goods desk. There is never anyone at the sporting goods desk to answer their phone. I hate Walmart.

Academy had boxes of 50 for $2.99/box. Limit two boxes.

Mike38

Mouse gun / .22 shortage? What .22 shortage

I was at a local gun show today. Bought a mouse gun. For some reason, I’ve had an urge to by one of those Taurus PT22POLY pistols, but the prices in my area have hovered around $310, so I just pass. Saw one today for $280 and gave it some serious thought, but moved on. Glad I did. A few tables down another dealer had one for $210. I asked about the price. He said a woman had him order one, then changed her mind, he was just trying to unload it. So it’s now mine. Transferred to a local dealer, will pick it up in three days.

While the two dealers were doing the transfer, they started talking about .22LR ammo. The guy that I bought the Taurus from said a friend of his has 250,000 rounds coming from a distributor. He paid 7 cents per round for it. The distributor offered him one million rounds at 6 cents per round, but he didn’t have the cash. There is not a .22LR shortage from the manufacturers, it’s the hoarders that are causing this problem. I’m convinced of that. There can’t be a shortage at the manufactures level if distributors can offer lots of one million rounds!

People, please, stop hording .22LR ammo so the rest of us can play. PLEASE.

mattL46

^JUST (like 5 mins ago) bought two 325ct. Boxes of federal 22lr at the LGS . $29.95 per box. First batch I've bought in about 6 years. It sucks knowing the last full brick I bought was about 15 bucks. The LGS had a moderate supply. First supply I've seen since the shortage actually.

jasmith85

As of now the Cabelas website has 333 round boxes of Winchester 22lr for $18.99, 500 round boxes of Remington for $25.99 and 500 round Winchester Super-X wooden boxes for $34.99. They usually do not stay in stock long though.

Wat_Tyler

I don't buy into the fear-mongering/price-gouging.

Local LGS wants $18 for 100 rounds of Winchester .22lr. I said "no thanks" and left.

I have enough to last me awhile anyway. Recently I actually traded four bricks of Thunderbolt for a Marlin 70 rifle with extra mags. I feel we both got a decent deal. I could have sold it for $200 on gunbroker, but screw that.

Machineguntony

Cabelas has a sale on Berrys bullets with free shipping. It is dirt cheap. Free shipping is the code 4Jolly (effective as of this date).

On popular Berrys items, such as the 115 gr 9mm, they're back ordered until end of January, FYI.

Abraxxas

Found a 222 box at my local Walmart last weekend for $10.49, it was the last one but it was also the first one I had seen there in a couple years.

Ammo

What is the explanation for the continued shortages ? Manufacturers have had time now to expand and take advantage of the demand.
What's the deal? I don't understand it.

The cost of expanding production beyond running 24/7 is a huge long-term investment none of the companies want to make. I imagine the adjustment in this case is that many of our foreign members are having trouble finding 22lr now.

A few months ago there were some comments that maybe this "shortage" was nearing the end. I felt the same way, and figured I might get to buy more stuff on an "as needed basis." Well, the stuff I need, like Remington 7 1/2 primers is nearly non-existent. Powders are getting scarce. As spring approaches, it looks like we are in for another year of scrounging the internet retailers every night trying to keep the shooting thing active. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.