The Quarterly "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasmith85

I'm not sure how long they'll last but Cabelas currently has Remington Ammo Buckets in stock for $69.99. Thats 1400 rounds of 22lr and comes out to about 5 cents per round.

globemaster3

I went into the Bass Pro Shops in Columbia, MO, yesterday. Surprise beyond surprises, they had some .22LR on the shelves! The choices were some American Eagle 50 round boxes, CCI Stingers, and some 100 round Winchester in red plastic containers.

One of the associates was standing there, just finishing with another customer, and noticed me with the rug rats standing there in wonderment over the ammo. "Best deal are those 100 round Winchester boxes. And remember you are limited to 3" he informs me. Without thinking, I grab my 3 box limit and move on. After a bit of wandering around, I realize I didn't even look at the price! So, I stroll back over to discover the 100 round packs are $9.49 each!:eek:

However, the 50 round American Eagle is only $2.47. All I need is some plinking stuff, and I am sure not going to pay north of 9 cents a round! So, quick swap and on the way I went!

StukaJU87

Been getting emails from CDNN Sports claiming they have 22lR and it's on sale but all I see is a rip off. How can you advertise 1400rds for $149.99 and call it a sale?

Not sure if anyone is still foolish enough to pay high prices like this these days. I sure hope not. Glad I stocked up when it was .03/rd.

I wouldn't mind getting more 22lr but I'm not willing to over pay by over $100 to do it.

The "shortage" continues--

April through October is when most of my shooting happens. After scrounging the internet vendors for the last 4 years or so trying to keep stocked with loading supplies, I finally learned what some of the members here have been saying. "When you find it buy it." The powders I use are suddenly getting really scarce on gunbot and all the online vendors. Same with primers and some bullets. OK. Spent the afternoon ordering enough stuff to keep me having fun all summer. Not that much but still , more than normal for me.

My advice---if you want to shoot, unless you are on a tight budget, if you need it, and you find it, buy some. I thought this might be loosening up for powders and such, and passed on buying powder for $2/lb less than I paid today. But as the stocks dwindle I can smell the same old same old.

I think there are lots more shooters now, and the demand for ammo is keeping things like brass and bullets on the short side. Also, there are the scalpers that buy everything they can when it is available and then put it on the market for a 50% markup. To avoid getting ripped off, we have to keep our own stocks up. :rolleyes:

Dashunde

Well... this thread was started in April 2014, and this overall shortage has been going on a long damn while now, more than just a couple of years.

We're overdue for a factual accounting of what is really going on and I'd like to see a very tightly modded thread showing only true info, good quotes, or whatever verifiable figures are obtained one way or another.

Has any reputable "Investigational Journalist" done a good piece on the subject, complete with industry leader and manufacturer quotes?

I go to the range occasionally.. I see far fewer people there now than in 2010-2011.
I'm not inclined to believe that demand is outpacing production.

Particularly irritating is of course, is the nearly complete absence of 22lr in any measurable quantity at any store I go to - Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc... why?

I mean really... this is pushing what... 4 years or so now?

The Verminator

I think it's the current mania for tacty-kool .22 autos that look military and have big magazines.

The younger generation seems enamored with blasting off thousands of rounds real fast at zombies or Muslims or other imaginary targets.

I've been seeing some standard velocity 50 round boxes of shells in stores, but the good old 100 round High Velocity stuff in either solid or hollowpoint seems rare or nonexistent in stores these days.

Dashunde,
As the first post in this thread states, a nearly identical thread was started in April of 2013. That thread was started in response to the mania that followed the Sandy Hook shooting of December 2012. That is less than 2.5 years ago. In the days before the Sandy Hook shooting, ammunition was quite well stocked at every store.
Are you going to public/pay ranges or private ranges? I know private/club ranges are exploding in my area.

I think aggregate demand, not some mysterious centralized purchaser or supply disruptor, easily explains the shortage of 22lr. Supply of rimfire ammunition simply isn't very elastic and production of rimfire was being pushed hard before Sandy Hook as I remember it. A small, maybe 5%, increase in demand isn't easily handled. For centerfires they just stop making less popular cartridges and components until they catch up on the mainstream stuff, but there isn't much oddball rimfire production to convert to 22lr. A competitive(high volume) rimfire production line is incredibly expensive. I doubt any credible investigative journalist is going to spend time on something that is easily explained. Maybe some have looked into it and have found the simple explanation to be true.

Glenn E. Meyer

Bass Pro was swimming in WWB. Academy has tons of ammo.

Except for the 22 silliness - the conspiracy members have gone undersea to R'lyeh to live with Cthulhu.

psalm7

Just got in a reloading order from Graf&son . Powder was scarce I got IMR4831 for my big rifle but nothing for my AAC or pistol powder . I signed up for the notify me option for IMR4227 and Lil Gun . Did get 1000 more small rifle primers and 2 box's of .308 150 grain spitzer bolt tail's all Match king's were sold out .
Went to the local big box retailer and found 3 box's of CCI Stinger hollow poinfs .

StukaJU87

Went to the local big box retailer and found 3 box's of CCI Stinger hollow poinfs .

I'm curious about the name of the store and the price.

I know I'm probably alone on this but if a store is charging more than I want to pay, I could care less how much inventory they have.

I haven't bought into the panic buying or prices and don't really see a reason why anyone would or should but I know people still are. :rolleyes:

psalm7

Bought the Stingers at Wal Mart $6.47 50 rds wich is what they usely charge for 100 rds of regular CCI'S hollow points . Not cheap but not out of line with current prices . I dont think I know any one paying the gouging prices . I know a few standing thier ground refusing to pay anything over $3 for a box of .22's I guess they wont drive until they get .35 cent a gallon of gas too .
Stingers are not alot hotter , Guess the extra cost is for the plated brass .

Last edited:

sawdustdad

More pistol powder at the LGS today--titegroup, autocomp, HP38, Promo, 700x, 800x, CFE Pistol, International, etc. I didn't buy anything...

jasmith85

They probably won't last long but Cabelas.com has 500 round boxes of Remington Thunderbolts for $26.99 and 333 boxes of Winchester hollow points for $18.99 currently in stock.

Armed_Chicagoan

Cabela's online has had CCI mini mags in stock all week long, albeit at $8.50-$9 per 100.

But still, in stock at high prices is better than no stock at high prices.

Maybe we're finally turning the corner on .22?

psalm7

Picked up 2 100rd boxes of Winchester .22LR 40gr HP's at Wal Mart for around $9 each . I usely only buy Remington's or CCI's but these were hollow points good for hunting so I picked them up .

Machineguntony

At the Academy in Round Rock, they had like 100 small boxes of 22LR. They are $3.50 per box. Not a bad price, but they limit you to two boxes. I saw that they weren't selling many of the little boxes, so I asked the salesman if they would lift the limit. They refused.

Status
Not open for further replies.