Sweet! Remington has announced a new handgun...

DannyB1954

I bought one of the first Beretta Nanos that came out. Big mistake. I will wait a year and then search for youtube and forum complaints.

JN01

The only thing that strikes me as off aesthetics wise is the rear sight. The dots for the rear sight are actually forward in the dovetail. It looks like it was done to make them less likely to snag, but it's pretty much the opposite of most pistols on the market.

But unlike traditional rear sights that slope the other way, you could put the front edge of this one against an object for one handed slide racking.

Pahoo

Will wait for the first kid, on the block !!!

I too have been shopping for a single-stack 9mm and this little devil is even rated for +P. Gun Show coming up this weekend so will start to look for these. There are times when being the first kid on the block to own one, doesn't work. I may have to wait for more reviews but so far, see nothing that would turn me off. Going to keep a dominant eye out for this one .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

TunnelRat

But unlike traditional rear sights that slope the other way, you could put the front edge of this one against an object for one handed slide racking

This is true. I generally avoid slanted or Novak style sights in general so that I can get a ledge like you mentioned.

It looks like the gun version of the Pontiac Aztec.

Ouch.

Deaf Smith

Aw..... dang....

Now I'll have to go take a look-see at this one.

I do love the old Remington and Colt pocket autos.

Deaf

dehughes

I called my LGS and they said, "If it's coming out in February, expect us to have one in about a year if it turns out to be popular." I was going to place an order, but....I'll wait.

My only reservation is that I tend to prefer more round grips (Sig P229, XD45) to flat ones (Ruger LC9, etc....), and this R51 seems to have more flat grips.

I still want one.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Well, they don't have to used that system for the reason Pedersen did, which was to get around Browning's patents on a breechblock made as part of the slide, but there is nothing wrong with it. It looks like this time Remington is serious about the handgun market. I just hope the darned thing isn't made in China.

Jim

dakota.potts

I am actually very excited about this.

I was set on the Sig P938 as a carry gun in a couple of years when I can get a license. This gun challenges that.

I love everything about this gun so far, except maybe the capacity. I'm a big fan of the low bore axis and I like that the gun is an all metal frame.

Everyone's talking about the size, but I wonder what the weight is.

LockedBreech

I think it looks freaking awesome! Of course, I really like how my Beretta PX4 looks and I think Glocks look handsomely utilitarian, so my aesthetic perception is in the minority to say the least.

The price is also fantastic, and I really have been impressed by the tooling on the Remington R1 1911 samples I have handled. The R1S stainless model, in particular, is very impressive for the price point.

I really like the explicit rating for +p, also. While you can use +p in most manufacturers' guns, the express endorsement by the manufacturer is comforting.

I may just have to look into this little guy.

bedbugbilly

At first glance I wasn't sure . . but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I think it's a nice looking handgun and from what I read, I like the features of it. It will be interesting to follow it once it's available. It looks like a well made handgun for the price. I think it just went on my list of "wants" . . . who knows what will follow if this model is well accepted.

Noreaster

It looked kinda large in the hand on the GB video. Comparing it to a Shield they are really close in size. R51/Shield; Weight 20oz/19oz, Width .96/.95, Length 6.0/6.1, Height 4.5/4.6.

TunnelRat

I think it looks freaking awesome! Of course, I really like how my Beretta PX4 looks and I think Glocks look handsomely utilitarian, so my aesthetic perception is in the minority to say the least.

Reminds me a lot of a PX4.

PatientWolf

Hmmmm....this looks interesting. Does anyone know how the size compares to the Sig P232 or Bersa Thunder .380? In 9mm with a better price than the Sig, if it is the same size or smaller this could be a great CCW, if it is reliable. I do wish it had an exposed hammer though.

Last edited:

JimmyR

I have to say, I'm kinda digging this one.

But I think I'm gonna wait until after a few people check them out a little more. Hopefully pick one up after someone gets it and hates it, then sells it cheap. :D