Smith and Wesson serial number search

105kw

GKTTXAG
I would bet your I frame was .38S&W Regulation Police when it was built.
The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson says it was built between 1917 and 1940. I'm sorry but they don't break it down further.
Without photos this is a guess. It wasn't modified at the factory. Somebody had a Regulation Police and modified it into a pocket revolver.

Japle

I have a S&W .38 Spl which seems to be a "long action", s/n S 9249XX. I suspect it was made in the 2nd half of 1939, toward the end of "long action" production.
Can anyone date this gun?

Last edited:

105kw

Without seeing it, photos would help.
The serial number, according to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is between 1945 & 1948.
It is a post war Transitional Model. They were built between the end of WW2 and the start of the C series serials in 1948.
The long action end in 1950, for the M&P models.

GKTTXAG

I started here at this site with my research and wanted to share my results. I have received info from the Smith and Wesson records. A data point for people interested in in Smith & Wesson Regulation Police revolvers.

Frame : I frame 5-shot
Caliber : .38 Smith & Wesson
Model : .38 Regulation Police.
Serial : 236xx
Configuration: 4" barrel/Blue finish
Shipped: 6 April, 1923
Thanks to all who provided insight.

Taggart

WanderlustAR

S & W Model 51

I have a Model 51 Revolver with serial number M13xxx. Can anyone provide information on this gun? Trying to sell it for a friend who lost her husband. Thanks.

MC 1911

M13xxx made between 69 - 71. Probably 70. 22mag available with square or rare round butt . You don't see these very often.

deevemon

Request for Serial no. help

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson small, hammer-shrouded revolver for occasional pocket carry.

It's a Model 49 with a sn of J8166XX.

I really don't have enough older smith handguns to justify buying the catalog, so could someone help with the date of manufacture?

Many thanks,
Dave

EIGHTYDUECE

I have just came into possession of a nice condition Military & Police 5 screw pre-war .38 special. Serial # 558526

I am thinking (guessing) 1930's?

MC 1911

Not listed inmy reference book. If I had to guess and that's all it would be, I'd say early to mid 80's. Hopefully someone will be along to give a better answer!

L-2

1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Location 17046). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

POST 8436,
Here are the s/n prefixes listed for S&W revolvers for 1985. It's not necessarily complete according to "the book".
Your "BBC" prefix looks to me to be more like years '88 or '89.

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 17045-17046). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

C10

Smith & Wesson identification please

Inherited this pistol. Would like to know model and year Mfg.
Serial D850956
On yoke X7926 A17
Barrel reads S&W 38 special CTG

Thank you for any information.

L-2

Post 8459,
My reference book indicates your serial number is from 1975-1976.

1975-1976 D750001-D870000

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 491). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

The info on the frame's yoke/crane area is not needed and is internal info to S&W only.

Model cannot be determined just from my reference book. Pictures of the frame's crane/yoke area and of the entire revolver might help I.D. the model.