Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi Guys, picked up a NOS S&W mod. 29-6 .44 Target Champion in my local gunshop in Austria, can’t find anything in the S&W standard catalog or the serial Nr. search. It must be from the mid 90s and was never shot outside of the factory.
Serial starts with CAS6

Jim Watson

You can interpolate with some chance of getting a production period.
CAN was in July 1996, CBA was in September 1996, so I would say CAS falls in second quarter 1996. They probably didn't make enough of that model/period to get into the list.

Thank you very very much for the fast answer, should have posted it earlier in this forum. It’s my first Revolver and I wanted to find out more about it. Contacted S&W Last week about it and got no response, and now coincidentally got a return mail from them about an hour ago.
You are nearly spot on, according to S&W it was built in 02/1996. Please excuse the time wasted, if I had known that there is a answer still to come I wouldn’t have wasted your time.
Regards Michael

jilaw50

My S&W Standard Catalogue 2nd Edition is too old. Can anyone tell me the Date of Mfr for S&W Model 649-5 Serial # CMW5XXX
Thanks

GKTTXAG

Smith & Wesson Serial Number Info Request

Folks:

I have just acquired a Smith I-frame revolver in .38 S & W.

I am confused,

I believe it is a Regulation Police .

Serial Number is located on the front strap - 23,692. The number is repeated on the face of the 5 shot cylinder. The grip frame has the "strain screw" in the front strap as well.

The frame is not marked "Marca Registrada"

The revolver has (apparently) factory silver medallion Terrier- type round butt grips, that do not exactly match the grip frame at the front strap bottom and the grip frame has the "stepped" back strap seen on RP's.

The revolver barrel has apparently been cut to "snubby" it. It is 2.1" from the frame to muzzle. The faint remnants of factory makings can bee seen on the barrel, but they have been polished off, probably during a barrel re-blue. The cut off front sight has been replaced with a new front sight/ and top rib that runs from muzzle to frame and has been silver soldered into place. Workmanship is excellent; the bluing looks pretty standard. Markings are not washed out from sloppy polishing.

Question 1: What is this gun? Can anyone confirm if it is a Regulation Police or maybe a Terrier or maybe a 38/32 - 2"?

Question 2: What year was this revolver shipped, whatever it is?

Question 3: Is this likely to be factory work?

Thank your for your assistance and expertise.

Taggart

fenfinger312

I got 3 s&w revolvers from my father today, all in .357 was wondering if someone could lend a hand in ageing them. I tried posting pics but keep getting a error when trying to upload.

They are as follows:
1. Model 19-5 sn AJT7938
2.Model 27-2 sn S297259
3. Model not stamped on gun but looks like the 27-2 but with shorter barrel sn 75649

Last edited:

laytonj1

I got 3 s&w revolvers from my father today, all in .357 was wondering if someone could lend a hand in ageing them. I tried posting pics but keep getting a error when trying to upload.

They are as follows:
1. Model 19-5 sn AJT7938
2.Model 27-2 sn S297259
3. Model not stamped on gun but looks like the 27-2 but with shorter barrel sn 75649
AJT = 1986.
S297259 = 1967/68, they ran from S290 in 67 to S305 in 68.
75649 = is there an S prefix for that. If so it would be 1950, if not then we’ll need a picture to figure out what model it is. Edit: actually, if it is a 357 then there would be an S prefix.

Jim

Last edited:

fenfinger312

Jim thanks for the info. That one does in fact have a S before the serial number i went back and checked and found it, placed alittle differently then the 27-2 why i didnt see it. Would love to post pictures of them but still getting a error for some reason and tells me to contact web admin. All 3 of the guns were carried over the course of 39 years my father worked for the sherrifs office, he never was a semi auto fan always trusted his wheel guns. The 67/68 was originally blued but he had it nickle plated and some of that is deteriorating and causing a few rust spots, also i have found it has hammer push off, the 1950 was to his knowledge factory nickle and looks and feels to be in great shape, the 1986 is just a blued and in great shape. Really wish i could post photos of them and share.

fenfinger312

Jim thanks for the info. That one does in fact have a S before the serial number i went back and checked and found it, placed alittle differently then the 27-2 why i didnt see it. Would love to post pictures of them but still getting a error for some reason and tells me to contact web admin. All 3 of the guns were carried over the course of 39 years my father worked for the sherrifs office, he never was a semi auto fan always trusted his wheel guns. The 67/68 was originally blued but he had it nickle plated and some of that is deteriorating and causing a few rust spots, also i have found it has hammer push off, the 1950 was to his knowledge factory nickle and looks and feels to be in great shape, the 1986 is just a blued and in great shape. Really wish i could post photos of them and share.