Smith and Wesson serial number search

L-2

Posts 8497 and 8499.
Perhaps also post photos of the revolvers along with photos of the info being posted.

Post 8497, there are various .32 calibers which were used and various types of revolvers. Photos might help identify what revolver is being researched.

Post 8499, there first, one & a half, second model, and Model 3 (and more) S&W revolvers which S&W experts might identify along with what caliber; or post the caliber, too, if already known. Again, photos to support the various info can help for whoever attempts to help.

Steven Philips

Post 8499, there first, one & a half, second model, and Model 3 (and more) S&W revolvers which S&W experts might identify along with what caliber; or post the caliber, too, if already known. Again, photos to support the various info can help for whoever attempts to help.

Quoting my previous post to get the info and photos in the same place:
Hello all,
I was just gifted an old S&W top-break revolver that I think may be a Second Model. The serial number is 23XXX.

The inscription on the top of the barrel says
"SMITH&WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A. PAT'D JAN. 17 & 24.65
JULY 11.65. AUG.24.69. JAN. 19. 1875. REISSUE JULY 25.1871"

Someone in the past replated it. You can see the pitting underneath.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Here are a few photos. It's chambered for .38 S&W.

6wXXCh5.png

GXgbzJi.png

and this release latch just refuses to move. I assume I'm supposed to be pushing it forward?
D1PC29e.jpg

Hellcat1

Hi, if it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate some help with dates/years for some of my S&W handguns. Any info you can provide for any one of them would be appreciated. They are as follows:

Model 41; Serial No. A1157XX

Model 27-3; Serial No. AJJ14XX

Model 52-1; Serial No. 1045XX

Model 952-2; Serial No. DAB03XX

Here are the guns in question, respectively:

full

full

full

Thank you in advance!

Frank

MC 1911

Model 41 70-71
Model 27-2 AJJ prefix shows 1985
Model 52-1 mid to late 60's S&W could probably give you a better date,
Model 952-2 DAB prefix shows 2006

All are approximate & could be narrowed down by S&W.

L-2

Post 8508 quote,
"Model 41; Serial No. A1157XX" probably ~1970.
1970-1971 A115001-A156801

Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 490). Gun Digest Media. Kindle Edition.

"Model 27-3; Serial No. AJJ14XX" is 1985 vintage.
1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW

Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 491). Gun Digest Media. Kindle Edition.

"Model 52-1; Serial No. 1045XX"
Appears to be the later end of the 1954-1970 production.
Serial number range beginning 1954 starts @ 1001 and continues to 115000 in 1970. Applies to Models 39, 41, 44, 46, and 52.

Supica, Jim; Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (p. 490). Gun Digest Media. Kindle Edition.

"Model 952-2; Serial No. DAB03XX"
The 952-2 model began in 2004, but I didn't find a "DAB" prefix in my book.

Last edited:

jar

Quoting my previous post to get the info and photos in the same place:

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Here are a few photos. It's chambered for .38 S&W.

6wXXCh5.png

GXgbzJi.png

and this release latch just refuses to move. I assume I'm supposed to be pushing it forward?
D1PC29e.jpg
That's not a release latch, the latch is on the top of the frame. Round knurled and lift up.

Hellcat1

Awesome, thanks so much @MC 1911 and @L-2! Great info on those guns! I inherited the first three from my dad, and the last one, the 952, I bought myself because I liked shooting the 52 so much.

Great resource here; thanks again!

Frank

MC 1911

Double check the serial# should be a letter prefix. Serial # is on the bottom of the grip frame & may have to remove grips to see it.

TheAntiquarist

S&W #3 American in 44XL

This old piece I have seen has only a 3 digit serial number (3**), frame and cylinder match. Is it considered an 'Antique'...?