Smelly post what smells do you like?

Russ5924

Someone on another thread said he loved the smell of burnt gunpowder and it got me to thinking what I liked. I would have to say the smell of gun powder on a great fall day of hunting, and the smell of a 2 cycle outboard motor while fishing. Am sure there are many more that can bring up memories:D

Mal H

Staff
The smell of burnt gunpowder, especially from a .22, is very nostalgic.

Hoppe's #9 is a given, but most folks these days don't know the real smell of #9 when it contained benzene - even better. ;)

... the smell of a 2 cycle outboard motor while fishing.
Excellent one! I spent a summer helping an uncle run a fishing camp on the St. Johns River in FL when I was about 11. Most of my time was spent using his bait and his gasoline out catching salt water trout instead of doing any chores. He didn't seem to mind at all. Good times!

ZeSpectre

Gun related. My dad used to come home from hunting, clean his guns, and give them a good waxing with beeswax. The mingled smell of gun oil and beeswax reminds me of the quiet and peaceful times at home growing up.

I also love the smell of the mixture of clean cold air, earth, and leaves that you get when you are prone on the ground lining up a shot in the fall (this applies to photographers as well as hunters :) )

The sort-of musty smell you get with wet oilcloth coats/hats, especially combined with cool/crisp fall air.

Webleymkv

The aroma of bacon and eggs being fried over a campfire on a crisp autumn morning. The smell of chili being cooked over a campfire on a crisp fall evening. I like the taste of both even better.

Sixer

Hoppe's #9
Gun oil / cleaner in general
Burnt gunpowder... Unless I'm firing Federal Target shells, that stuff makes me want to gag.

levrluvr

a freshly opened can of coffee
My chain saw (or any other two-stroke) especially when I'm running it on 100LL aviation fuel.
The smell of freshly cut cedar
a campfire with a walleye shore lunch cooking on it.
a spring rain

Slopemeno

The smell of just-fired 20 gauge empties as I pulled them out of my LeFever Nitro Special on a crisp fall morning. Talk about "sense-memory"...

Evan Thomas

-a light smell of skunk
Yes. And freshly brewed coffee, which is a bit similar to light skunk, when you think about it.

And gunpowder, of course...

And the smell of Muskol insect repellent, the 100% DEET kind. Every spring, when the mosquitoes come out and I first put it on, it reminds me of camping in the Arctic. Yes!!

:D:D

44Magnum

Well, let's see here...

Hoppes, gasoline, CLP, RemOil, 2400, nitromethane (racing fuel), castor oil, cordite, black powder, ferret musk, BBQ, a good single malt scotch, burning wood .... I'm sure I am leaving out a few. :D