Should I ever buy a non-9mm pistol?

Which non-9mm handgun type should I buy?

• .380 in concealed carry role, semi-auto

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • .357 revolver

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • .40 S&W in full-sized semi-auto

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm & .40 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm in semi-auto

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • .45 ACP in semi-auto

Votes: 49 32.0%
  • .45 ACP in a revolver

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • .45 ACP to .460 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Stick with 9mm handguns and use long guns for everything else

Votes: 21 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j102

9mm is the cheapest one (of course .22lr).
Of your choices my vote is for a 357Magnum revolver. When ammo was hard to find, I was able to find 38Spl in my area. And something of the size of a Ruger LCR 357 or Ruger SP101 works great as a woods/backpacking gun. For bears I carry a can of bear spray. Another choice for you would be one of the Ruger Convertible revolvers with the 357/38 cylinder and the 9mm cylinder.
With so many 9mm pocket guns are out there, I wouldn't buy a 380acp gun. The 9mm pocket guns are the same size and in many of them recoil is very pleasant.
My second choice would be .45acp.

Darker Loaf

JohnKSa: "If you have stringent requirements for concealment, you may find that you can't find something small enough in 9mm that works reliably for you. The smaller a gun is, the more issues there tend to be with reliability and while you can get very tiny 9mms, reliability issues become more prevalent."

That's why the .380 is on the list. Dropping down to .380 also a gun to be built in a smaller form factor than the 9mm. I agree with you that shrinking a gun made for 9mm tends to create reliability issues. I've had a variety of small 9mm Kahrs, the CW9, P9, and K9. I've had problems with both the CW9 and P9 varieties, but my K9 is fine. I've thought about, but hesitated getting the smaller form-factor Kahrs in 9mm, but thought the exact same thing. If the mid-sized Kahr 9mm variety has had issues for me, I'd be even more likely to have issues with a smaller return spring and shorter guide rod.

The G43 would replace the P9/CW9 form-factor for me, while dropping 6 oz over my K9 Elite. The G42 would shave off almost 10 oz for me.

Beyond Kahrs and Glocks, there aren't many sub-9mm platforms I'd feel comfortable relying on, unless we go over to the revolver world. The Baby Browning I've had time on was one of the hardest guns to shoot that I've ever had my hands on in terms of making hits and operating the controls. That's why I'd want somebody to design a .25 ACP or 5.7mm single stack with a full grip, 3-4" barrel, and full controls, just thin and light as possible. No such gun exists.

The S&W PD351 is cool and light at 10.8 oz, but it goes back to rim-fire shortages for me and revolvers are never a thin-gun. Something like that would be a backpacking gun, not concealed carry.

j102

I have a Sig P290RS in 9mm, a friend has the new Glock 43, and another friend has a Sig P938 and not a single issue with any of the guns after a few hundred rounds through each.

Glenn E. Meyer

I believe in having some kind of 22 LR for the end of the world. You can have many rounds cheap. I believe in similarly having a 38/357 revolver as a gun that would usually work and easy for beginners. I believe in having a 1911 for fun!

I'd get the 38 first.

T. O'Heir

A .22 LR semi-auto target pistol isn't just for beginners. Calibres don't make much difference.
Small doesn't equate to high end kit. Kahrs aren't high end kit.
"...No such gun exists..." And never will. No demand for a 'full sized' .25 anything. You can have a .32 S&W Long in a serious target pistol though. Cost you a couple grand.

Darker Loaf

Glenn E. Meyer: "I believe in having some kind of 22 LR for the end of the world. You can have many rounds cheap. I believe in similarly having a 38/357 revolver as a gun that would usually work and easy for beginners. I believe in having a 1911 for fun!

I'd get the 38 first."

Your opinions are almost completely in line with the poll in terms of caliber. The break out winners, vacillating back-and-forth in a neck-and-neck tie, are .45 ACP in semi-auto (I'm sure most respondents would say 1911) and .357 Magnum. As far as platforms are concerned, I think I would be too tempted to build a 9mm 1911 if I built a 1911 and I would be likely to skip the .45 in that caliber.

I've got the .22 LR's covered for now, but it would be unlikey if I didn't buy more .22's or rimfires in general at some point in the future.

T. O'Heir: "A .22 LR semi-auto target pistol isn't just for beginners. Calibres don't make much difference. Small doesn't equate to high end kit. Kahrs aren't high end kit"

On .22 LR's: Like I've said in response to similar comments, I know that .22 LR platforms contain essentially all elements of marksmanship. They are "for beginners" for me because the ammunition itself is precious and relatively rare at the moment. I've paid more than $20 for 50 for .22 LR's and they were literally the only .22's in town at that moment. They were Elley Match and didn't function well in my 22/45 and 10/22. And because new shooters are important to me, I save my stockpile mostly only for them. Until the market is restored, I won't invest in another .22 LR or even rimfire platform, and so 9mm has become my .22 LR for plinking and having fun.

Darker Loaf

On .22's and caliber decisions in general: The reason I make many of the firearm purchasing decisions and that I limit my caliber is because I want to be able to drive over to my local Fleet Farm (especially) or Walmart and by ammunition X for a reasonable price. Fleet Farm regularly beats or at least matches online prices for major calibers, but the bigger-box stores must be soaking up the .22 LR.

I guess I should be price checking .357, 10mm, and .460 there as well. I usually price check .40 S&W and .45 ACP [in person], just to watch them and know the market. I price check anything I am interested in as a caliber regularly online, but I've forgotten about my real-world, brick-and-mortar calculus.

Darker Loaf

"Kahrs aren't high end kit."

Yes, and no. It depends on your way of thinking. If you are willing to spend $2k up on a full custom 1911 or other pistol, then no. And also "no," if you are looking at some of Kahr's budget line of pistols. But consider that a Kahr K9 Elite MSRP's at $961, which is no cheap piece of kit, either.

dyl

I say revolver. Any revolver to start with.

If you know the semi auto system inside and out it's another realm to open up, gain proficiency, be able to diagnose problems. There are A LOT of revolvers out there both old and new you may encounter (hopefully in a recreational situation). Not having to reciprocate a slide makes for some fun reloading possibilities and wide range of loads. The fixed barrel allows for very accurate shooting. The crispest single action I've ever felt is on my S&W Model 27. Well, maybe one of my hunting rifles has one about the same but it had a trigger job.

I have not dipped far back enough into the firearms realm to get into single action revolvers but I will someday.

Reloading - I've used the same amount of powder in 38 special as some 9mm loads. If you really want to you could purchase the same projectile for 38 special (.357 - .358) and use the .357 in a 9mm if the rest of your setup fits and it shoots well. Squeezing a plated or lead bullet down a couple thousandths is not a big deal if keep pressure moderate. Or I suppose you could get one of those new 9mm revolvers

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

between 10mm and .357 which one would you choose?
Also in 10mm are there any issues with glock 20 gen 4?
357 Magnum for versatility. From mild 38 Special "range" amm to full power 357 for SD, or hunting.

I have a Gen3 G20 that shoots like a dream. Accurate, and to me no problem with recoil. I don't have any Gen 4 Glocks. Nothing particularly against them, but nothing they offer is of any advantage to me either.

Darker Loaf

Between .357 and 10mm? I'd chose 10mm, personally.

I like revolvers, but a G20 or G40 is much lighter and hold more bullets than a traditional revolver. Personally, I know far too many people who do not shoot their .357 revolvers, even with .38 SPL's because of the price.

The same price issues apply to 10mm, as well, but I feel like I'd be getting a bit more (foot lbs of energy, ammo capacity, and reduced packing weight) out of a 10mm than .357. All bets are off regarding weight when switching to a CZ clone or CZ 10mm (custom), Sig, or 2011/1911 in 10mm.

But if you go by the poll at the beginning of this thread, .357 is the clear "people's choice." That and .45 ACP.

Though I've said this many times throughout this thread, I know what the world of revolvers is like. I own a 9mm 986 S&W revolver. I am getting a custom holster made for shoulder carry, sting ray and all. So, it is safe to say that I like revolvers (in addition to semi-automatics). I am also saving brass from my 986 and someday, I'll get into reloading.

This caliber discussion has come up again today in my real life, as I've always wanted a suppressor. Part of my desire to stick with 9mm is that I could buy a single suppressor for all of my non-rimfire pistols. However, the person at the store said he "wouldn't waste his time with a 9mm can" and when I said that I didn't own a non-9mm can, he said, "Yeah, but will you EVER own a non-9mm gun?" That of course, I am not so sure about.

Lost Sheep

I'm surprised it took until the 50th post for someone to mention reloading.

Good idea.

If you want to hunt with a handgun, check your regulations. Some areas even disallow .357 magnum as too light. Be sure before you buy.

Darker Loaf said:
edited for brevity)...I've always wanted a suppressor. Part of my desire to stick with 9mm is that I could buy a single suppressor for all of my non-rimfire pistols. However, the person at the store said he "wouldn't waste his time with a 9mm can"
Any time a store clerk gives a sweeping opinion across an entire genre, an alarm goes off in my head. Even knowledgeable people can have prejudices and blinders on their opinions, but having a name tag and a time card that match the store he is in is not a qualification as an expert. Quiz him sharply on the basis for his opinion....or discard him as an advisor if he cannot or will not defend his position. (OK, that last sentence was a blindered and prejudiced opinion unsubstantiated by argument or evidence, but I will allow for exceptions.)

Subsonic 9mm rounds do well coming out of sound suppressors, I am told, and their existence in real-world "dark ops" is evidence enough for me to believe their worth.

Good luck in your search. I did not vote because I cannot choose any better than you can. I own 22rf, 9mm, .357 mag (loaded 38 Special level and magnum level), 44 Magnum (also loaded "Special" and "Magnum", 454 Casull\. 480 Ruger and 45 ACP. My buddy has a 4" 500 S&W, but my 480 Ruger Super Redhawsk (SRH) is a lot lighter to carry and easier to get followup shots on target quickly. The 500 is his "Bear Defense" gun and either of my Super Redhawks is mine. But Pepper Spray actually has a better track record of keeping the humans uninjured in a Bear-Human encounter than any firearm. And absolutely keeps the bear safer. Besides, the hassle of reporting (and cleaning up after) a "Defense of Life or Property" shooting of an animal keeps that spray can my first choice. And, it is lighter, too. Still, the SRH is a comfort.

Lost Sheep

mxsailor803

I picked a .357mag revolver but I would also choose a .45acp and .44mag. My reasons are pretty really, .357mag can shoot everything from lightweight 38's to fireball .357's. The 45acp, everyone should own a 1911 lol. And the .44mag, its one of my favorites and its my long time pistol hunting cartridge. Although for .44mag, I HIGHLY recommend getting into reloading. That rascal is expensive to feed factory ammo.

Deja vu

I am for keeping it simple. Stick with 9MM unless you can find a pistol in a rifle caliber you already own.

sigshepardo

.357 revolver or 9mm Carbine

Before I recommend a caliber or a gun to anyone, I always ask what they want to be able to do with it. So going in blind to what you were actually trying to do with a new gun I voted for .357 revolver. It seems you have pretty much everything covered with your assortment of nine mils and 22s. But I am a firm believer in variety is the spice of life. Basically put, diversify your arsenal. Each gun and each caliber is a different experience all its own. .357 magnum is going to be a different experience from the rest of your arsenal. However, I am also going to say that if you are dead set on keeping your calibers limited to nine mil, you should buy a 9mm carbine. Pistol caliber carbines are twice as fun to shoot as handguns and cost the same to shoot and about the same to buy yet you can do more with them. MGI military has the hydra 9mm, there is a Just Right Carbine now in 9mm, Stag arms has recently gotten great reviews on their 9mm AR, Beretta makes one, Masterpiece arms makes one, Kel-Tec makes one. PM me if you want to know more.

745SW

Rimless cart., 9mm, is made for a autoloader while rimmed 357/38 works best for revolver. The headspacing on rimless is not very positive but the reach of the firing pin of a autoloader will compensate. This is not so using rimless with a revolver.

Darker Loaf

The reason the store personnel was bashing 9mm suppressors is because of the lack of diversity of the 9mm can, NOT my intended use. He was incredulous that I would stick with 9mm as a battery of arms. His opinion was that if I EVER want a non-9mm gun, I should go with a .45 ACP can (for versatility). He was not suggesting that 9mm cans are bad; he was just saying that a .45 can is "better" in terms versatility. He wasn't arguing that a dedicated 9mm can wouldn't be better at suppressing 9mm or that 9mm was poor at being suppressed.

I am not sure these are still compelling reasons for me to buy a non-9mm can, because I could just accept that I am only going to suppress 9mm guns. So far, I've steadily built many of my guns (including .22's) to include threaded barrels, so basically, all I have left to do is go and buy a can. I already have a gun trust established already.

Looking at 10mm, I was surprised to notice that many low-power factory, pretty standard factory 10mm bullets are below the sound barrier. If a .40 suppressor can handle the pressures of 10mm full-power, a 10mm gun would be a pretty good candidate for suppression.

Yes, I know .45's are inherently below the sound barrier, but so are many .40's, 10mm's, and 9mm's.

Finally, on 9mm carbines: I think they are really cool, and I've love to buy one at some point. They seem like they'd be a lot of fun and good rifles for beginning shooters (low blast, low recoil).

dakota1911

More of a USA thing but 45 ACP is all over in lots of loads. Lots of police still use it. Some of the military still use it.