Should I ever buy a non-9mm pistol?

Which non-9mm handgun type should I buy?

• .380 in concealed carry role, semi-auto

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • .357 revolver

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • .40 S&W in full-sized semi-auto

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm & .40 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm in semi-auto

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • .45 ACP in semi-auto

Votes: 49 32.0%
  • .45 ACP in a revolver

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • .45 ACP to .460 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Stick with 9mm handguns and use long guns for everything else

Votes: 21 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheapshooter

Your poll did not include the most important answer.
ALL OF THE ABOVE AND MORE!
You did say COLLECTION, didn't you?
In particular, but not limited to:

7.62X25 Tokarev
32acp
9X18 Makarov
44 Magnum/Special
45 Colt
If you only look at guns as tools, maybe you should refer to what you own as a tool box, not a collection.:D

Skans

I like 9mm best because of capacity.
If I can't have a 9mm, .40 isn't a bad option.
Since .40 isn't bad, I might as well make it a 10mm and not get the .40 - more power and same capacity.

This is why my runner-up choice to 9mm is 10mm.

+1k ammo

I don't blame you for keeping it simple, but you could expand a little.

I have been trying to downsize the amount of calibers in the collection and using up and then selling all the old off ones. Like .32 and .25 and .38 auto I think which is shorter. Took me forever just to sort all these out.

With pistols, I am trying to get down to 9mm, .45, .22 and .38 I guess. Have too many .357 and .38 revolvers to get rid of this round.

So you have 9mm and .22, so I would add .45.

Oh, and you can have collector in 9mm. I have a wwii German Luger that is not like any present day 9mm.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Streamlining certainly has its appeal in terms of keeping things simple. That said, I'd say that branching out a little is a good thing. If you can afford to branch out into another caliber, I say do so. Nothing wrong with 9mm, but I sure do enjoy shooting a nice .45, too.

Darker Loaf

It's a financial argument in the sense that I'd rather have more guns, than more calibers of guns. I'd also rather shoot my guns more than an obscure caliber. I own no gun that I don't shoot a lot, and I don't want to buy a gun that I won't shoot a lot.

To me, there are few tasks short of concealment (.380 or .25 could serve this purpose) or hunting (.357, 10mm, .460) that 9mm won't serve me. Granted I am interested in hearing arguments for owning calibers such as .40 and .45 that are common enough that I'd own a single firearm chambered in it. I know it might be boring to somebody else, but my guns aren't and 9mm isn't boring to me. So, I want to hear mostly practical arguments for upgunning.

Self-defense, concealment, and range guns are guns I already have in 9mm. I'll probably buy a few more range 9mm's, no matter what I do, and maybe a lighter 9mm... or a .380.

I'd still shoot a .380, .357, .40, .45 ACP, 10mm, or .460, just don't want to own more than one or two examples in something non-9mm, and I'd want them to do something 9mm can't. A revolver that could shoot .40 and 10mm would be awesome for this purpose because I'd get two calibers out of a single firearm. Too bad there aren't any current production 10mm revolvers out there, so I'd have to find a used one or have one made full custom. Most of my guns are custom builds, and maybe this will sound weird, but I still look for guns that will take less work to get them to where I want them to be. A .460 is pretty sweet, because the S&W triggers are great out of box, and all I would do custom-wise is send the cylinder in to TK Customs to cut it for .45 ACP and possibly replace the grips. That and most .460's are ported, and I just know I'd end up porting a non-9mm gun. (Most my 9mm's are ported. I am a nutter like that; don't ask.)

Heh. You guys are right. It is cruel to me to not put "All of the above" as an option, but I find it more interesting to hear your answers if you had to limit the list. It makes you guys think, and then I get some data a back from your responses. And frankly, that's what I'd like to do: limit the list. If I only own one or two non-9mm pistols, ever, I'll be happy.

MarkCO

Based on your subsequent responses, I'd suggest a S&W 610. They can be found in 3" (expensive Lew Hortons), 4" 5" and 6" that would fit your desires. 10mm is plenty of punch in a handgun and you can run .40S&W through it interchangeably with moon clips. I have one and I do really enjoy shooting it. I also own a S&W .41 Magnum (Mountain Gun) that might be a good choice. i load my own snake shot loads for it and I can load basically .41 special loads as well. If someone said pick your one favorite revolver, those two would fight it out. As a 2nd caliber to 9mm, both of those are good options based on your desires, and I think more so than a .45ACP.

DA/SA Fan

Aside from the self defense and 2nd amendment aspects of handguns, I have them for enjoyment. I really like shooting. It adds immensely to my enjoyment to shoot different calibers and different guns. Maybe I'm weird but I don't drink the same beer all the time either and I love to try new foods that are different from the every day fare. Variety is the spice of life!

Darker Loaf

RE MarkCO: A S&W 610 would be awesome. I'd have 10mm for hunting and .40 for plinking and ammo shortages. .40 S&W is the second cheapest centerfire cartridge other than 9mm. A Glock 40 or Glock 20 would make for lighter guns with more bullets, but frankly being able to shoot .40 S&W reliably is pretty big. That and I'd probably be able to enjoy shooting 10mm more, because I would be forced to with only six in the cylinder. I guess, if I really felt bent out of shape about it, I could get a S&W 610 and eventually a Glock 20/40 (probably a 40).

RE DA/SA Fan: To me, shooting a 9mm, .40, or .45 are all pretty much the same in terms of fun or utility, so it's not a spice-of-life thing for me. Different firearm types do it for me: such as revolvers and subbies, concealed carry pieces, long slides, comp/ported guns, etc... Beyond that, I want an additional caliber to actually do something different, either give me a smaller gun engineering wise or give me a LOT more power (making a humane kill much more likely than a 9mm for hunting). To me there's little point in owning a .40, .45, .38 SPL, 9mm, .357 Sig, .38 Super, .45 LC, .44 Special, etc... all just for the sake of variety. Pretty much any one of these calibers would to about the same thing. I'd never bash someone for owning all of them, and there's certainly advantages to having variety. But it'd be hard for me to want a .45 ACP 1911 (though they are cool) and not 9mm. It does pretty much the same thing as a 9mm 1911, so why not keep it simple?

Oh, and if it is not clear, I really like shooting, too!

dakota.potts

I like to keep in 9mm. I like to carry it when hog hunting and sometimes wish in that role for a .45, .357, or 10mm, but for the most part I feel the 9mm does everything I need, including concealed carry. If I wanted to hunt with it I'd get something bigger, but so far I haven't had that need.

tallball

Different calibers and different kinds of handguns are fun to shoot. I used to rationalize and decide that I "needed" a new gun or caliber. I can't fool even myself anymore. I just want them.

And they are a LOT of fun! :)

Frankly

I own and regularly shoot 9 luger, 38 sp, 40 S&W, 45 acp, 357 magnum, 44 special, 45 colt, 44 mag, 460, 500...

What was the question again?

MarkCO

Actually, I'd like to off-load about 4 or 5 of the calibers I have. Just hard to bring myself to sell a firearm and all the stuff that goes with one...dies, cases, bullets, magazines, etc. :eek:

44 AMP

Staff
My 9mm collection is two Lugers, a P-38, Bolo Broomhandle, a T/C Contender and a Tec 9. :D

My non-9mm semi auto pistols include .22LR, .32ACP, .357 Magnum, .357 AMP, .44 Magnum, .44 AMP, .45ACP and .45 WinMag.

The reason for buying a non 9mm pistol is simple. If you want to do something the 9mm simply will NOT do, you get something else!

Personally, I think you ought to get a single action revolver, .45 Colt is nice. Its a whole different world than a 9mm auto pistol. You might just enjoy it!

Aquajunky02

For me personally I like to keep fewer calibers simply because of cost of keeping ammo on hand. I found it better to buy a nice piece of country property. I get to shoot all sorts of guns and try em out before I buy em. I just give my buddies a place to shoot, then I get to try out all their new toys. Lol I generally get to shoot a couple times a week which is nice.

Darker Loaf

My uncle lent me a .357 Blackhawk for over a year, and so I got to enjoy single-action revolvers. They are cool. I suppose with a .45 LC Ruger you could get a .45 ACP cylinder. My preference is to DA revolvers; now having experience with my 986, I pretty much only shoot it in DA.

Man! It looks like three results are creeping forward: .45 ACP semi-auto (probably 1911's lovers), .357 revolver, and nothing but 9mm and rifles. .45 and .357 are clearly ahead of the pack, though.

Coppershot

Unless you are trying to build an impressive 9mm collection, with firearms from multiple decades and countries of origin, you are, as stated by others, missing out on variety. If you really like 35 caliber automatics, try throwing a 38 Super into the mix. Do that and I'll guarantee you will branch out from there.

Cheapshooter

Actually, I'd like to off-load about 4 or 5 of the calibers I have. Just hard to bring myself to sell a firearm and all the stuff that goes with one...dies, cases, bullets, magazines, etc.
When ever that unhealthy urge comes over you, just start reading through TFL threads. It's a great group therapy intervention before you do something foolish! :D