Serial Number info for Winchester Model 94

maxfan

Winchester 1894

A friend inherited this Winchester 1894.These are the details he found on rifle:
Winchester model 1894 30 WCR model number 5351 95
the barrel says nickel steel barrel
manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company New Haven Connecticut USA patent August 21st 1894
g36t.jpg

9ya.jpg

r6lx.jpg

Any idea of value would be appreciated.
Thanks
bob@firearmsepot.us

PetahW

Your friend has a 1910 Winchester .30-30 Rifle Model 1894, with what looks like standard features - IOW, no special order features.

The buggered forward tang sight base screw hole plug screw suggests that it might have had a tang peep sight mounted at one time - if so, it's a shame that it's gone.

The pics are too dark to determine it's gondition, in terms of the remaining % of original factory finish on wood & metal parts, and the mechanical operating condition is unstated/unknown - all of which go toward estimating value.

The best way to find the true value would be to surf only sold/closed gun-only guctions to find out how much somebody's been actually willing to pay of one in the same condition/features today/recently.

Please remember that any "asking" prices, "buy it now" prices, and "opening bids" are not values (reality) - they're hopes & dreams.

Last edited:

Dstraky

Serial number for Winchester 1894

I have a 1894 Winchester ser# 308798
Can you tell the year it was made.
Thanks

Bmp7088

Im thinking about buying a Winchester 30 30 model 94 serial 4733874 made in New Haven USA can anyone tell me year and approx value? It is not pristine but very nice condition

Scorch

Im thinking about buying a Winchester 30 30 model 94 serial 4733874 made in New Haven USA can anyone tell me year and approx value?
Made in 1979, value in fair condition is $300.

PetahW

Alan, welcome to the forum ! :)

That Model 94AE was most likely made in 1983 (the 1st year for angle-eject models), or possibly early in 1984.

dpast32

Seeking Info. on Late Prod. Win. 94 Trapper

Hello Guys, I finally picked up a little Winchester .44 Magnum "Trapper", something I've been looking for a while now ! It's unfired & as new, but the original owner's wife threw away the box & all the paperwork. ( I think ALL wife's would do that if were allowed to. ) As we all know, these late production Winchester's are somewhat difficult to document, so perhaps someone here may be able to assist me in determining it's date of manufacture ? ( SPEC.'S: Model 94, "TRAPPER", .44 MAGNUM, 16" Bbl., w/ Saddle Ring & Cross Bolt Safety, Serial # 61734XX ) From what little I've been able to learn, it appears to be a post-2000 piece, but prior to 2003 ? That does narrow it a bit, but I'd like to try for an exact year of mfg., if at all possible. Is there a particular text out there that covers these later M-94's ? I'll be very appreciative for ANYTHING I may be able to learn about this M-94 Trapper ! THANK YOU

Best, dpast32

PetahW

dpast32, welcome to TFL ! . :p

Outside of Winchester, there's no SN listing for the later AE models, mostly because there's little collector interest in them, unless they're the first/last of whatever change.

The CBS (crossbolt safety) was instituted in 1992 at approx SN 6,000,000, and discontinued in favor of the tang safety around SN 6,450,000 in 2003.

Ergo, my WAG is that your .44 Trapper dates from about 1998.

SeanMP

Good Morning

To start off with thanks for maintaining such a good site. I come here often for odd bits of information but this time I have a tricky one.

I just got a Mod 94 in chambered for 32 Spl

SN 172220

I'm just looking for a date. Of course the online resources date this gun too early I'm thinking 1902 but I'd like to have something to convince the customer to get a Cody certificate

Cheers

PetahW

The Winchester Polishing Room Records sugget the 172xxx SN range was processed in 1903; but a SN search indicates 172220 was made in 1899.

It's entirely possible that the receiver was made in 1899, but for some reason not assembled/finished until 1903.

IMO, age alone isn't sufficient reason for obtain a Cody letter - but if the gun has one or more Special Features, then a letter would be indicated, to find out in what config it left the factory. (IOW, to find out if the special features were added later by someone besides Winchester)

Last edited:

SeanMP

Your right that age alone doesn't require a Cody letter. More so in that it is a generic carbine.

But for several reasons it would be good to establish some provenance for this rifle. I believe there is enough verbal history to establish that this gun has been in Canada with the same family since new. So given that the 32 special represented a relatively small percentage during that first year and given that the number of 94's sold in Canada at the turn of the century was infinitely smaller.

What I'm getting at is this could be one of the oldest if not the oldest 32 special sold in canada. Which would certainly give the family something to cherish as they take their great grandfathers rifle deer hunting every year.

PetahW

FWIW, the first .32 Special Model 1894 Carbine ((by SN) was #22967, sent to the warehouse on August 27, 1902 & shipped August 29, 1902.

(The .32 Special was introduced in 1901)