Serial Number info for Winchester Model 94

Scorch

Factory half mags or 2/3 mags had a domed "button" end, from the pics yours looks like a flat end. So either a full length magazine tube or the right magazine cap would be better. But the issue of the mismatched parts will count against that gun either way. From the looks of the front sight base, it has a post-war (produced after WW2) carbine barrel on it the original barrel for an 1898 rifle would have been different. If so, look at the underside of the barrel about 2"-3" from the muzzle it may have a small notch where the other barrel band would have been. It has a carbine forearm and a rifle buttstock (I would guess this repair was done by someone who could not cut the notch for a barrel tenon used to hold the rifle forend on or who had a carbine barrel and forearm sitting close at hand). Remember, many old Winchesters were working guns, not collector items until recently.

Without the letter frorm the Buffalo Bill museum, you would not know which it was, so you would not know which way to repair it (whether to repair it to look like a carbine or a rifle).

Slowgun

Seeking MFG date Info on 94AE SN#9,400,361

Was just offered one for $375 in excellent cond. Blue 20 inch with light glossy wood stock. What does anyone think? Should I go for it?:confused. PS. It has cross bolt safety.

Last edited:

tillmanrjt

Model 1894 age and value?

Good evening,

I am new to this forum but see a lot of very good information being given by experts on these older weapons. Like others I have a question on the date of manufacture for my fathers Model 1894 Winchester. It is a 30 WCF and the serial number is 198873. From the databases I have found, some say they are not that accurate, I have come up with a "made in 1900" date.
Does that sound accurate to you folks? If I can figure out how to put a picture on here, I would love a guesstimate evaluation of the possible worth.

Thank you very much for any information you can offer

Scorch

Yes, it looks like a 1900 manufacture date is right.

FWIW, the serial number discrepancies are between the polishing room records (pre-assembly) and the shipping records (after assembly, often quite some time after assembly). Some experts like the polishing room records, mainly because polishing was one of the last steps in manufacturing before bluing and assembly, so it gives a pretty good idea of when a firearm was assembled. One problem with Winchester is that they would produce receivers in batches, then they drew from those batches (not always in order) during assembly. Also, custom firearms and special production firearms would be produced and stored for quite some time without wood because the wood would be special ordered by the customer. In either case, I think the numbers are probably close enough, it gives you an idea of when the firearm was produced.

PetahW

Slowgun said:
Seeking MFG date Info on 94AE SN#9,400,361
Was just offered one for $375 in excellent cond. Blue 20 inch with light glossy wood stock. What does anyone think? Should I go for it?:confused. PS. It has cross bolt safety.

You might want to double-check that rifle's SN.

AFAIK, Winchester 94AE SN's stopped in the 6,800,000 range in 2006.

Crossbolt safeties were only used from 1992 (near SN 6,000,000) to 2003 (near SN 6,450,000) before the CBS was discontinued in favor of a tang-top safety.

Uncle Billy

I have a Model 94 that was bought new in about 1951 that's been on who knows how many deer hunts and has killed a lot of whitetails. It shows its history although I refinished the stock (it's got a surprisingly good figure I discovered after I stripped it to the wood) and redid a small compass that was inlet into the stock after the gun's original owner (my dad's best friend since the 1930s and the CCC) got lost on a watch-drive in the Adirondacks in about 1955. He still got lost more than a few times. Collected all together the stories attached to this rifle would fill a book and be a pretty good history of my family and close friends for the last 60-odd years. I don't care what the gun's market value is, not much probably, it's a family heirloom and the memories that play when the gun is handled are priceless.

I have a Model 70 in .300 H&H Magnum from the same era that has a lot of stories attached to it as well, like the moose it killed in the Yukon having its head mounted and shipped home for a lot of money, only to find the only place it would fit was in the garage. It's priceless to us as well (the rifle, not the moose head which was donated to the local gun club).

torqueroll

Third gen '94 Hand me down

I have a '94 model 25-35 thats 75% blue and is serial number 22448. Guessing its second year production first year 25-35.

Anyone have a good contact or info on it?

Torqueroll at america on-line

PetahW

FWIW:

The first Model 1894 RIFLE in .25-35 by date is SN 5014, and went to the warehouse 7/18/95 & shipped the same day.

The first Model 1894 CARBINE in .25-35 is SN 6506, and was sent to the warehouse 10/1/95 & shipped 10/3/95.

Last edited:

torqueroll

Appreciate the data, this is helpful.

Someone once told me that there is a repository for the original records, Cody or something. Yours appears pretty definite. Is there a contact that I might be able to converse with to find out more info on my particular serial number?

:)

PetahW

It's the Cody Museum that has most of the remaining records - but they don't gass for zip (IOW: wanna play, gotta pay).

http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

You'll have to pay them for a certification letter, which would also include the original config & maybe when/where it was originally shipped - but I'd WAG your .25-35 actually dates from 1896-7.

Last edited:

PetahW

roger05 said:
hello can some please help with these

4430016 - 1976
4562840 - 1977
5378405 - A 94AE, after 1982 - need more info
5614841 - Same as above
V163517 - Ditto
YB4468 - Ditto
YB4687 - Ditto

There are no SN records available for Winchester Model 94AE (Angle Eject) models, and I am unfamiliar with letter-prefixed Winchester 94 SN's. (I'm just not that into AE's)

The DOM can only be narrowed down and/or generalized with a full description of the rifle, including the presence of a crossbolt safety, no CBS, or no lawyer safety at all; chambering, barrel length & config (round, half-octagon, etc), and stock type.

jimjakosh

Winchester model 94

I just joined this forum and really like the knowledge found here!!
I have a 1964 Winchester model 94- serial 2735504. It does not have a screw in the bottom like shown above. I was told that they converted from machined parts to stamped parts during that year. Can anyone tell me when the stamped parts began, like with what serial number? Rifles made with stamped parts are of much less value than the machined parts.
Thanks, Jim

Scorch

The changes occurred in late 1963. Any 1964 or later Model 94 is "post-'64". The changes included internal and external changes to make the firearm easier to manufacture. Some of the changes are: stamped (later cast) cartridge carriers, different receiver design to allow for fewer machining steps, use of screws for link pivots, coil spring instead of leaf mainspring, changes to bolt to make it easier to machine. There is not a lot about the post-64 guns that is "bad", they are just different from the pre-64 guns (and way different from the pre-WW2 guns).

PetahW

It's not only the various stamped parts, hollow roll pins, etc, that make post-64 Model 94's less desireable & less valuable than pre-64's.

During that change, Winchester also changed the way the receivers are made, switching from forged steel to a sintering process, that has a finish (on most models) that only looks like conventional bluing, but isn't.

They tend to show rust/pitting with only light handling/use - aka, as soon as you look at them. ;)

The post-64 receivers were first plated, before they would take any additional finish(s), of which there were several: "blued", "color case hardened", black chrome, "Pewter", "Gold", "Silver", and Brass. (The last 5 finishes were mostly used on commemorative models)

MikeSD

Might as well add my question. I have a Winchester 94AE, 45 Colt, SN 6,209,XXX. Post 2000 I would imagine but can anyone pin down the date any closer than that.

It's in very nice condition. The bluing is all there. The loading gate doesn't even have any scratches on it. No scratches on the finish. It almost looks unused based on the metal condition but I can tell it's been used and fired. Small dings and such in the wood. Overall very nice condition.

It's the 16" barrel with saddle ring. Anything you can tell me about it and it's value would be great.

Mike

ROCKER

winchester 32 special

I have a winchester 32 special ser. no. 2787393 can anyone trll me when it was made?