Sad about .327 Federal mag......

Dragline45

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Ruger doesn't make the LCR in .327 Mag as it would seem to be the perfect magnum cartridge for a lightweight revolver.

I agree and would jump all over that. But I am still waiting, which will probably never happen, for a platform built around a 5 shot .32 caliber revolver, whether it be .327 or .32H&R. It would be slightly shorter than a J frame, but dramatically thinner. Perfect pocket gun IMHO.

Shadi Khalil

I think marketing may have played a roll because if I remember correctly, there was not much of it. Couple that with high priced, hard to find ammo and you have the potential for a flop on your hands. Someone earlier said something to the effect of "If Walmart doesn't stock the ammo, I'm not interested". While many of us disagree with that mentality, that's the case with a good many people.

I think the way Taurus marketed the judge is something other manufactures should consider when looking to release a new caliber. Taurus didn't invent the .410 but they certainly had a hand in resurrecting it. I know some one will chime in and say they've been shooting their .410 rifle twice before breakfast since 1932, but before the judge, I never saw so much .410 ammo and in such variety.

Taurus took the .410, a round with question ballistics and meant for a rifle, stuffed it into a giant revolver and sold it as the answer to everyone's SD problems. And it worked! People swear by them. They buy them for their wives and tell them to put it in their purse. That's how you market a product.

The .327 on the other hand is far better than a .410 (for SD) and can fit into a sensible sized gun suited for carry. It's also easy to shoot so it makes sense for someone who can't handle bigger calibers. Now why did the .327, with practical defense applications, not enjoy the same success as the .410 and judge? I think it all comes down to marketing.

Last edited:

jimbob86

Taurus took the .410, a round with question ballistics and meant for a rifle, stuffed it into a giant revolver and sold it as the answer to everyone's SD problems. And it worked! People swear by them.

....and they were aided and abetted by folks that know better ....

Webleymkv

One thing that Ruger did do right with the .327, and a lesson that I think they learned from the failure of the .480 Ruger, was to make it a cartridge that could fire several sub-loads. Even if the .327 does fail and ammunition becomes completely unavailable, owners of .327 guns will still be able to shoot because their guns will also fire .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum without issue and all of these cartridges have been around for decades (over a century in the case .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long) and don't show any signs of going anywhere.

newfrontier45

...a lesson that I think they learned from the failure of the .480 Ruger....
Another fine cartridge that deserves to be far more popular than the big goofy X-frames. Whether it's to be chalked up to poor marketing or a fickle market, it's a shame.

gak

Newfrontier45 said
"Another fine cartridge that deserves to be far more popular than the big goofy X-frames. Whether it's to be chalked up to poor marketing or a fickle market, it's a shame."
++1

oneounceload

The .32 short, .32 long, and .32 mag never took off and became mainstream so why would anyone think the .327 would

They were for about 100 years when they were introduced - is that long enough for you?

Perhaps the NAA 32 Guardian should be added to the possibles list for those who would rather see something in 32 with oomph in a semi.....

Shadi Khalil

Methinks that factory Single Six and K-frame sixguns in .327 and a factory Bisley .480 would revitalize both cartridges.

How many people are buying those though? That's almost a niche market. In order for the .327 to be revitalized (I'm not sure if it ever reached the point of revitalization) it needs to appeal to a broad spectrum of handgun owners, from CC'ers to small game hunters to plinkers.

That begins with a clever marketing campaign that speaks to consumers wants and needs; the best ones make consumers think they need it. But without ammo availability and aftermarket support the most brilliant marketing campaign falls flat on its face and the product becomes a flop. Flopping doesn't mean their is something wrong with the product and the .327 is a perfect example of that.

newfrontier45

Ruger is selling the hell out of all the single actions they can make. What they always expected to be a low seller, a dedicated mid-frame .44Spl, is now offered in several different configurations, blued and stainless. Whether those obsessed with self defense guns realize and accept it or not, lots of folks are shooting single actions.

Shadi Khalil

Ruger is selling the hell out of all the single actions they can make. What they always expected to be a low seller, a dedicated mid-frame .44Spl, is now offered in several different configurations, blued and stainless. Whether those obsessed with self defense guns realize and accept it or not, lots of folks are shooting single actions.

I personally can't say how many single actions Ruger is selling (I have one) but I would be surprised if SA's sold as well or came even close to common DA and DAO revolvers.

aarondhgraham

I can settle all the arguments,,,

forgetthis.gif

Aarond

jimkimmons

Taurus M327 Federal Magnum

m327.jpg
Funny I saw this thread just after spending a bunch of time on the Web trying to buy a second stainless bobbed hammer Taurus M327. I bought one about a month ago and love it. I've changed my semi-auto carry habit, though they're smaller, and intend to carry the Taurus most of the time.

The 115 grain 327 Federal Mag round FBI Test penetrations beat the socks off most 38 Spl +P. From the Speer site, I got the FBI results for the 135 grain GDHP, and found the results elsewhere (sorry, can't remember where now) for the 327 115 grain. Here are penetrations:

• Bare Gelatin 38 at 11", 327 at 15"
  • Heavy Clothing 38 at 11", 327 at 16"
  • Plywood 38 at 12", 327 at 16"
  • Steel 38 at 12", 327 at 20"
  • Wallboard 38 at 10", 327 t 14.5"
  • Auto Glass 38 at 11", 327 at 13"

Expansion or bullet upset for the smaller 327 bullet was also pretty good at .40 for steel and .60 for auto glass. That was comparable to the 38 +P.

Anyway, I love shooting the gun, other than the cost of ammo. I can buy the 85 and 100 grain American Eagle for around 50 cents/round for practice. Pistol is very accurate, more so after I changed the hammer spring out with Wolff 9 lb.

I had to get another one, as I have a gun shop and know that someone will want one once they fire mine. It's easy to find the blued guns with exposed hammer, but very difficult to find the recessed hammer models now.

Last edited:
GP100 VS K Frame

The GP100 is available and carries 7 rounds. A K frame 686 weighs almost exactly the same as the GP100. I agree that it would be nice if Smith would produce more options for the .327 Fed. :D

The little SP101 is a really nice piece, in my opinion. The one I have was fairly smooth shooter in DA right out of the box. Loading the round is easy, and would be more fun if there was more data available from the component manfacturers.

I have had a .32 H&R on the "want" list for a long time, as a small game/varmint/working gun. Not a high priority, but I always wanted one.
Seems .327 Federal offers a lot for that niche, plus the ability to assimilate the "old school" calibers.

Count me in.

chewie146

The concept is great, but the there is no cheap alternative for that one. "Buy a .357 and you can shoot cheap .38s" works better than, "Buy a .327 and you can shoot other expensive ammo." People have dies and the like for .357. I think the .327 is a great concept but it a caliber that is too similar to .38. Most of us can count, but as 6 is greater than 5, so is money in the pocket vs. money spent on an entire new gun and reloading setup. I'm more interested in new designs in calibers I have than new calibers in guns I have. I have a .357 Blackhawk and don't particularly want one in a new caliber, but I do want the new Ruger M77 in .357. I am all set up for that, short of the gun itself. Perhaps I'm old fashioned. .327 doesn't do anything the stuff I have doesn't do already.

If you had a choice between the fast car you own that takes regular gas and runs just fine and the one you'd have to buy new that is just a little bit faster and holds 20% more fuel, but only takes premium, which would you choose?

FrankenMauser

chewie146 said:
The concept is great, but the there is no cheap alternative for that one. "Buy a .357 and you can shoot cheap .38s" works better than, "Buy a .327 and you can shoot other expensive ammo." People have dies and the like for .357. I think the .327 is a great concept but it a caliber that is too similar to .38. Most of us can count, but as 6 is greater than 5, so is money in the pocket vs. money spent on an entire new gun and reloading setup.

Have you actually priced .327 Federal and .32 H&R ammo vs .357 Mag and .38 Special ammo?

In my area, I can buy ANY of the .327 Federal factory loads (including defense loads) for less than a comparable .357 Mag load. And, I can buy .32 H&R loads for less than comparable .38 Special loads.

In addition... I am reloading .327 Federal for less than it costs me to reload .38 Special (let alone .357 Mag).

I know some areas of the country are different, but gun store owners are not greedy SOBs around here. So, we actually get reasonable prices. :rolleyes:

Webleymkv

The concept is great, but the there is no cheap alternative for that one. "Buy a .357 and you can shoot cheap .38s" works better than, "Buy a .327 and you can shoot other expensive ammo."

Midway has .32 S&W Long Fiocchi HBWC for $16.99 per box and Prvi Partizan LRN for $15.49 per box in stock. I've not seen .38 Special ammo substantially cheaper than that since the great ammo shortage of '09. A few years ago, the argument for "cheap .38's" might have been convincing, but .38 Special ammo just isn't all that cheap anymore.

Mr.Bluster

Yes, I laid in some Fiocchi from Midway at that price (50 @ $17). Also have Sellier & Bellot in .32 SW long. All wadcutters. The former made in Italy, the latter in the Czech Republic. Apparently, .32 caliber is big in Europe. Manufacturers of .327 should do some outreach in Europe, perhaps. Not that Ruger and the others need the business right now. They can't make guns fast enough as it is.

I target practice. Maybe I'm all wet (I'm a relative newbie to the shooting sport) but if I use for self-protection, I'd rather just seriously dissuade the bad guy rather than kill him.

.32 caliber out of my Ruger SP101 is a nice load. That .327 stings!!