Sad about .327 Federal mag......

Te Anau

^^^^^^ Totally absurd post.Thats me.........."Joe Troll" :rolleyes:
That megathread has been going on forever,and guess what? I've read three 9x19 vs .45acp threads in the last year.....HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!

vladan

Given the fact this cartridge has been and is being covered--pros and cons--on a current mega thread, and the OP's threadstarter (and some responses) is misleading and apparently inaccurate--at best not representative--it is effectively an alarmist/ trolling thread.

And who the heck are you?

gak

Te, you've got to be kidding me. The comment wasn't about starting just a new thread--not a crime by itself--but starting a new thread with an alarming "Sad about .327..." on a subject KNOWN to have great polarization to begin with,...but also in doing so, using words suggesting a general trend regarding a cartridge already having a hard enough time struggling against certain odds to gain/maintain traction in the current climate, without that kind of misleading and incomplete thread starter...especially when the veracity of the complaint (in this case Natchez' cartridge availability...but suggesting others as well) hadn't been thoroughly researched. Maybe, "Has anybody checked Natchez' .327...?" Or ".327 ammo availability question..." would have been better, if not attaching the issue to an existing thread (perhaps better yet, maybe not). The .327 may eventually fail--hope it doesn't, big .32_ fan and cool cartridge IMO--but doesn't need any "help." I didn't say you were a troll, but was suggesting this smacked of such a thread starter. And Vladan, who the heck are you?

Dragline45

Te, you've got to be kidding me. The comment wasn't about starting just a new thread--not a crime by itself--but starting a new thread with an alarming "Sad about .327..." on a subject KNOWN to have great polarization to begin with,...but also in doing so, using words suggesting a general trend regarding a cartridge already having a hard enough time struggling against certain odds to gain/maintain traction in the current climate, without that kind of misleading and incomplete thread starter...especially when the veracity of the complaint (in this case Natchez' cartridge availability...but suggesting others as well) hadn't been thoroughly researched. Maybe, "Has anybody checked Natchez' .327...?" Or ".327 ammo availability question..." would have been better, if not attaching the issue to an existing thread (perhaps better yet, maybe not). The .327 may eventually fail--hope it doesn't, big .32_ fan and cool cartridge IMO--but doesn't need any "help." I didn't say you were a troll, but was suggesting this smacked of such a thread starter. And Vladan, who the heck are you?

Gak is an expert on internet forums, he holds a masters degree specializing on the subject. When you need advice for a good thread title, or need a post broken down piece by piece and analyzed, consult Gak.

Last edited:

gak

Dragline, thank you. At least someone has it down right :) Apologies to those offended. Carry on.

vladan

gak: Te, you've got to be kidding me. The comment wasn't about starting just a new thread--not a crime by itself--but starting a new thread with an alarming "Sad about .327..." on a subject KNOWN to have great polarization to begin with,...but also in doing so, using words suggesting a general trend regarding a cartridge already having a hard enough time struggling against certain odds to gain/maintain traction in the current climate, without that kind of misleading and incomplete thread starter...especially when the veracity of the complaint (in this case Natchez' cartridge availability...but suggesting others as well) hadn't been thoroughly researched. Maybe, "Has anybody checked Natchez' .327...?" Or ".327 ammo availability question..." would have been better, if not attaching the issue to an existing thread (perhaps better yet, maybe not). The .327 may eventually fail--hope it doesn't, big .32_ fan and cool cartridge IMO--but doesn't need any "help." I didn't say you were a troll, but was suggesting this smacked of such a thread starter.

So you feel you are the one who knows best what and how something should be discussed ?
Good job in derailing a perfectly good thread, dude.

And Vladan, who the heck are you?

Someone who is NOT playing internet police :eek:

gak

Vladan, read above. Actually thought you, Te and Dragline had some pretty cogent posts re the .327. And Te, yours especially earlier about "...I care!"
Carry on.

artoo

Wouldn't run the .327 into the cemetary just yet.

I own two Rugers in .327 Federal and from what's been seen is that the cartridge is not near dead.

There has been a resurgence with all the new beginning shooters or old ones who are looking for something not .357 magnumish (is there such a word. There now is)

The .32 calibers are great for teaching newbie shootists with.

The versatility of the round helps. .32 H&R magnums and .32 Longs, give one rounds that are most useful for a lot of duties. One can work their way up to the fire breather rounds a bit at a time if they wish to do so.

After several years of shooting them I have more fun with them than rimfire guns.

Maybe it has to do with getting older. :)

www.ammoseek.com and www.ammoengine.com have most of the online stores to find out where the ammo is at.

There are also various ammo houses who will bulk ship ammo in .32.

That's how I do it. Look to see who has the sales.

Single Six

Well, I'm far from being an expert on anything, let alone ballistics, but it seemed to me that the market's general consensus was an overall "why?". I got the impression that this round wasn't really offering anything that other, more established calibers didn't already have going for them. The old saying about "a wonderful solution to a non-existent problem" comes to mind. For that matter, to a lot of folks [me included], there's also the "Wal Mart factor". If Wally World doesn't carry it, that's a pretty big strike against it right there...and I don't recall ever seeing one box of .327 ammo anywhere but at the gun shows. Not by any means am I trying to step on your toes with this, Te Anau; just one guy's opinion, and of course, I could be wrong.:)

AirForceShooter

Wife hasn't had a problem finding ammo.
Now cost is a problem.

She loves her Taurus and as other women try it at the range they're looking really hard at getting one.

I'm not willing to dig it's grave yet.

AFS

jimbob86

Well, I'm far from being an expert on anything, let alone ballistics, but it seemed to me that the market's general consensus was an overall "why?".

Folks who are still asking "why" can't count.

6 is more than 5. Simple as that.

There are other reasons, as well, but that is the big one, for me.

For that matter, to a lot of folks [me included], there's also the "Wal Mart factor". If Wally World doesn't carry it, that's a pretty big strike against it right there...

Heaven help us! "If teh Walmartz don't sell it, I don't want it."

Next time someone asks me for proof of the decline of Western Civilization, I'm going to refer them to that post.

btw, Walmart sells whatever they can make a buck on, in volume. Some Walmarts sell reloading supplies..... if you are in an area where 99% of the people are wanting nothing more than Pink Slime bologna/hotdogs, multi-colored high fructose corn syrup, polyester/spandex clothes, and DVD's of last season's TV shows, then that's all that will be on the shelves.

TMD

Yup, the .327 is doing so great that Taurus, Rossi, and Charter Arms all dropped the caliber from their lineups. :rolleyes:

gak

I had not looked in awhile--or since--but was pleased to see no fewer than ten boxes on the shelf at a particular LGS a month or so ago - that had not been a particularly big .32 stronghold before. And one I frequent had eight Am Eagle brought in on a trade in, which they'd reduced, I was so tempted to buy just on speculation of getting an SP101 I've been contemplating--along with a "planned" conversion on one of my .32 H&R Single Sixes...and probably should have. I admit hardly Wallyworld, but bits and pieces observed from time to time and I've been generally seeing an improvement out there over the past eighteen months.

Creek Henry

Since the 32H&R and it's more anemic kin are still around, just not very popular, one can assume the 327 will suffer the same fate... at the worst. It won't just dissappear, it will linger on just as the other 32s have. But, maybe it will be used by sillouette shooters or something to keeps its popularity up.

Te Anau

Ive just noticed a definite decrease in selection and availability of ammo at the places I look.It will probably hang on,but I have just always hoped that it would do better.Being between .38spl and .357mag in terms of power seems ideal to me.Having six shots is also preferable to five of .38spl in my book.

newfrontier45

What is truly "sad" about this situation is how closed minded shooters seem to be when anything new comes along. Rather than pondering the possibilities, most would rather be the first in line to describe how and why it's going to fail. That is, without having ever fired the first shot. That, and threads like this, are what is truly "sad".

If the .327 fails in the marketplace, it will be because it was not properly or fully marketed and because shooters are a fickle lot. Not because it wasn't a good idea. The "sad" part is that the .327 will not be alone.

What people like Hamilton Bowen and others saw was the potential. A true "magnum" .32, what the H&R version should have been. Had it not been hindered by the weak H&R revolvers that chambered it. There are many of us who had been heavily loading the .32-20 for years. Enjoying its performance potential but dealing with weak, short lived cases. Now, in the .327, we have a cartridge that not only duplicates what we had been doing with the .32-20 but due to its straightwalled design, fit into smaller, handier packages without going to an expensive five-shot configuration. So for the cost of a little custom work, one can have a wonderful little Single Six or S&W K-frame .327Federal that will do everything we could ask a small game/varmint sixgun to do. The "sad" part is that due to the cartridge's very cold reception, we will never see factory chambered Single Sixes and K-frames in .327Federal.

No sir, what is truly "sad" is the attitude of shooters and their response to this truly great little cartridge. Dooming it without ever giving it the chance it so sorely deserved. I have to question the outlook of some folks. Yes, "sad" indeed.

ATW525

The only problem I've noticed with the .327 is that it doesn't seem to be chambered in guns I'd buy. I'd love a K-frame or an LCR in the caliber. The Taurus was somewhat interesting, but I've had nothing but good luck with Taurus revolvers and I'm due for a lemon.

Webleymkv

Honestly, I think the .327's biggest problem has been poor marketing. The whole 6 vs 5 thing isn't something that I think is going to make or break the deal, most revolver shooters have already accepted that their chosen platform is limited in capacity. The real draw that I see to the .327 is its ballistics: better than a .38 +P with less recoil than a .357 Magnum. The problem here is that the gun manufacturers refuse to make it in a platform where the reduction in recoil could be best appreciated. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Ruger doesn't make the LCR in .327 Mag as it would seem to be the perfect magnum cartridge for a lightweight revolver. Likewise, a scandium S&W J-Frame would also make a lot of sense.

gak

Te and Newfrontier (and Artoo and Webley!), some "right on" perspectives.

Last edited: