Sad about .327 Federal mag......

Te Anau

Just got the new Natchezss.com catalog and couldnt find any ammo being sold in .327 Federal magnum
I wanted a revolver in this round.I wanted this round to succeed.Out of a 3" barrel,its quite impressive but I'd apparently be a fool to get one now unless I scoured the internet for enough ammo to last a loooong time.
:(

kcub

You mean other than that there is another thread about this obsolete caliber nobody cares about?

Dragline45

It really is too bad, I would have thought it would have taken off in the small revolvers like J frames or LCR's. 6 shots of .327 is a nice little package in a J frame, and the option of .32H&R magnum, .32 long, and .32S&W give it great versatility. When I have the cash I do want a J frame in either .327 or .32 mag, its just not on the top of my list since I have a J frame in .38

obsolete caliber nobody cares about?

The .327 is in no way obsolete. It's just tough to introduce a new caliber and have it be successful. Alot of shooters are so set in their old ways, settling on .38's, 9mm, .45 and etc, that they don't bother with new calibers. If they sell the brass and bullets for the caliber I suspect reloaders will keep it alive. Also I see .327 in some shops more often than I see .45 colt, does that make .45 colt obsolete?

Te Anau

You mean other than that there is another thread about this obsolete caliber nobody cares about?
If you dont care about it thats your business.I CARE ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

McShooty

The idea of a very powerful .32 cartridge can be very appealing to handgun enthusiasts. We have never really had one, although the H&R Mag has tried hard, and is a fine round in itself. The .327 offers many opportunities for precision shooting and certain types of hunting and would be just as much fun for experimental load development as any other round. The enthusiast market, however, probably doesn't support enhough sales to keep it viable. There will be little help from the self-defense folks, who will always consider their .357s, 9mms, .40s, etc., to be superior tools to keep in their pants. I bet each one of us has some serious interests that are not in the mainstream, that is, enthusiast interests that are always appropriate for threads in this forum.

kcub

I was just kidding, whatever floats your boat.
I used to really like the .32-20 and never understood why it died out.
And it even had Winchesters to help it out.

Low Friction

I have several 327 revos. The 327 has a thoroughly adequate SD punch for my needs, and chambers nice and compactly. For me it hits the sweet spot. Don't get me wrong I own 357's as well and wouldn't part with them either but the 327 has found a niche with me. It also helps that I bought a case of Federal 327AE 100gr ammo and a couple bags of unprimed brass.

arentol

I think the biggest problem with .327 is that it was a new revolver round in a market that was mostly semi-auto, and where even semi-auto rounds can't get real traction without massive law enforcement or military support.

The one round I might like to see and that might actually work is a more powerful semi-auto round in the .30-.32 range that reach about 250-300ft/lbs of muzzle energy and with JHP bullets around 90-110grains. Something with enough power and weight to be an acceptable defensive round that people wouldn't raise their noses at like they do .32acp, but that could be carried in guns barely larger than the Kel-tec P3-AT or Ruger LCP.

Basically something like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8mm_Roth-Steyr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65mm_Longue

But even that would have a tough go at it unless multiple companies that already make pocket guns released small guns right away.

ScottRiqui

That's interesting - if you go to Natchez' web site, go to the "ammo" category, then "handgun", and "show all", .327 Magnum isn't one of the choices.

Webleymkv

That's interesting - if you go to Natchez' web site, go to the "ammo" category, then "handgun", and "show all", .327 Magnum isn't one of the choices.

I know, you have to type ".327" into the search bar. Natchez, IMHO, has never had a particularly well-designed or user-friendly website.

vaquero aleman

Wasn't the original idea of the "327 Federal Magnum" to put six rounds into a small revolver that typically held five rounds? If I am given a choice of six of 327 vs 5 of 357, I do believe that 357 is the better choice. If I just want to shoot bullets for the sheer enjoyment of plinking, then I think the 327 is the better choice. Personally, I am still trying to figure out how to fit a Ruger Blackhawk 327 8 shot into my life. Now that sounds like a heck of a lot of fun! I would really love to see Marlin introduce a high capacity 327 Lever Action. :cool:

TMD

The .32 short, .32 long, and .32 mag never took off and became mainstream so why would anyone think the .327 would.

Last edited:

gak

Given the fact this cartridge has been and is being covered--pros and cons--on a current mega thread, and the OP's threadstarter (and some responses) is misleading and apparently inaccurate--at best not representative--it is effectively an alarmist/ trolling thread. Do the research. If the Natchez availability is truly a legit concern, post it as a post response to the existing mega thread, not as a thread title starting with "Sad..."