replies from ammo makers AND the origin of the panic

Justice06RR

On Friday, since my workplace was closed, I went to an outdoor sports type supplier in Canton, Ohio. I wanted to see this first hand. I got there at 8:15 and I was the only car in the parking lot. By 8:25 there were 10 people there, out of their cars, standing in line at the door! I followed suit. By 9:00 when the doors opened there were at least 25 people there. After standing in line for 35 minutes and talking to the other men, it seemed that the 3 calibers everyone wanted we're 22lr, 9mm and .223. It was a frenzy once inside, but this was mitigated somewhat by the fact that the store limited the amount they would sell you. I have a new fondness for this store because not only did they limit the amount they would sell you, but the prices were reasonable. They limited the 9mm to one box of 50 (PMC Bronze $16) 22lr to two boxes of 50 (Winchester Super X $3.75) and .223 to four boxes of 20. (not sure on the brand or price since I didn't buy any) A guy who had just bought a new 22 was bummed out that he could only get 100 rounds. Once in the parking lot, I sold him my two boxes of 22 and as a thank you, he sold me his box of 9mm. I believe that another guy also sold his boxes of 22 to him, so he had 300 rounds he could shoot in his new gun and it only cost him about $23. It was nice to see guys helping each other this way and now I feel educated as to what's happening out there with supply, demand and shortages.

This happens in many other areas as well (people lining up outside stores).

I sometimes check Dick's once in a while and talk to the sporting goods people there. I'm sure many people may hate them, but I can't knock on Dick's becuase I bought my 10/22 there for $179 last year:cool:

One very nice gentleman that specifically works the guns/ammo counter tells me that on shipment days they have a line outside of guys trying to buy up all their ammo even before they open. Even if they get, say 5000rds of 22lr, thats only 10 bricks and the 15-20 people lined up will buy that outright even with a 1-box limit.

southjk

I've said it before but here it is again. The ammo IS out there you just have to be quick. I just ordered 1000 rounds of Remington Target 40 Grain LRN 1150 fps 22lr from a well known (hated) web retailer for $4 a box. This is what I was paying in Dec of last year so for me that is normal price. Gunbot.net is my friend.

That said, I think I'm done buying 22lr for awhile now but will continue to buy 9mm when I see a good deal since that's what I shoot the most.