Reloading 9mm Luger problem

Recycled bullet

3423578d0067656b472089fee18aeb92.jpg
56b61476d5c7d2ab84269dd8a8b368b2.jpg

mehavey

Which one does not crimp 9 mm?
This one most assuredly does.
My crimps most definitely roll into the ogive of the projectile.
Uuuuuhhh....
I'm going to let the rest of the audience handle this one.
;)

44 AMP

Staff
I crimp my 9mm rounds. A light taper crimp seems to help with feeding.

Taper is the recommended method, roll crimp can work, A)if there it enough "ledge" at the case mouth to stop the round in the right place in the chamber, or, (more often) B) roll crimp not catching on the chamber and the round "heasdspacing" on the extractor.

This method does work in many guns where the case rim is fed up underneath the extractor. Not so much with guns that are "push feed" or dropping a single round into the chamber and closing the slide on it.

A roll crimp 9mm isn't a very good idea in an SA revolver (or a Contender single shot) where the case must headspace on the mouth. Irrelevant in a DA revolver using moon clips.

mehavey

Taper crimp is not roll crimp (which on a mouth-headspacing case is a no-no)
And were even that (tapering) past a case mouth diameter of 0.379/8 or so beneficial....

...why wouldn't commercial ammunition come that way to guarantee feed/function in life/death situations?

postscript: I'm reloading both jacketed & cast, for six different 9mm autos -- full-size to micro.

Last edited:

Metal god

I remove the bell which does result in some crimp . It doesn’t have too , but mine does Ever so slightly alll be it. The question is , does any inward deformation of the case mouth constitute a crimp regardless of how light it is? Id say yes

rc

I used to over crimp my rounds. Then I pulled some bullets and realized I was creating hour glass shaped bullets. I would suggest you get the crimp snug flat against those lead bullets like the one on the right. The two on the left in your hand look very over crimped.

Recycled bullet

All three bullets are crimped the same amount. The bullets have a small shelf on the ogive and I set the case mouth there and then crimp into it.

I'll make a picture tomorrow.

Loaded this way they load, feed,fire, hit the paper plate, extract empty 100% in every gun I have ever tested them in.

74A95

Taper crimp is not roll crimp (which on a mouth-headspacing case is a no-no)
And were even that (tapering) past a case mouth diameter of 0.379/8 or so beneficial....

...why wouldn't commercial ammunition come that way to guarantee feed/function in life/death situations?

Some do have a taper crimp.

mehavey

Wow..... That far under SAAMI ?

{Edit: See board policy on posting copyrighted materials}

(my Remington's are measuring 0.376 at the mouth just now, so I guess maybe so . . .
Live and (re)learn.

Last edited: