Reholstering Safetyless DAO's

bamaranger

fuss

Those same folks who fuss about reholstering DAO pistols, likely give no thought at all to reholstering a DA revolver or worse...........are of the twisted mindset of keeping an empty chamber under the hammer of a DA revolver. Don't laugh, I've seen it.

Some people just can't be taught.

are of the twisted mindset of keeping an empty chamber under the hammer of a DA revolver. Don't laugh, I've seen it.
That's not really twisted so much as it's old-fashioned. There are some folks who were taught that way, and they're not changing.

I shoot with one, and he's proficient enough that I'm not going to criticize. To each his own.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Jammer,
Just for the record, one does not care about the semantics of getting the gun back into the holster after it has been removed, one is more concerned about the topic at hand. :D
Denis

devans0

I am facing the same issues as the OP. I carry a Glock 17, like many things about my G17, but am working out holstering, drawing, and comfortable-enough IWB carrying. My current solution is no rounds chambered but with the Glock cocked. If I do manage to snag the trigger by accident, I want a quiet click, not a bang. I have changed to a - 3.5 connector and a NY1 trigger for AD and potential lawsuit reasons.
After several months of safe carry, I may eventually start to keep a round in the chamber. I am trying a four-five o'clock carry with a King Tuck holster. My draw practice has to include a racking of the round, obviously. What is LEO training recommendations? What the pro's who study this think would carry a lot of weight in my estimation.

MLeake

Jammer Six, I've got to tell you, if I had an instructor keep harping over and over again about whether "re-holstering" is or is not a real term (IE hammering on his personal peeve over and over again), I'd hire another instructor in short order.

Some things should be harped on... for instance, following good safety procedures. Others... are not so constructive to training.

Meanwhile, it seems the OP is re-considering his technique, and it might be better to use less dog-piling and more reassurance as to why holstering (or re-holstering) in the standard manner is safe, so long as equipment is maintained and good form (IE sweeping any shirt material, sweatshirt strings, etc out of the way) is used.

ScotchMan

I'd like to take a different approach to this issue.

You have a gun with an arguable safety issue. Whether Glocks are unsafe isn't the point; YOU feel it is unsafe to holster them using conventional methods.

Why conform to the unsafe gun? Unless it is issued to you, you have literally a world of choices. I carry an SR9c, safety on. Another poster mentioned he had a manual safety added to his Glock.

Can we not at least agree that there are options which don't violate the rules AND result in a comfortable, safe, holstering? Wouldn't finding a solution like that be better than improvising?

Jammer Six

In weapons training, details matter.

I'm sure there are other instructors that disagree; I'm sure there are other instructors who are better suited for many of the folks here.

Jammer Six said:
In weapons training, details matter.

I'm sure there are other instructors that disagree; I'm sure there are other instructors who are better suited for many of the folks here.
Details pertinent to weapons training certainly do matter when the topic of discussion is weapons training. Details pertaining to the nuances of the English language are not as important when the topic is weapons training ... unless something is so unclear as to cause confusion.

"Re-holstering" does not create any confusion, so I don't see what your issue is. As a professional writer and technical editor, my view is that the FIRST time a particular firearm is inserted into a particular holster, the firearm is said to have been "holstered." The prefix "re" indicates doing something again, as in "reviewing" for example, or as in "re-dialing" a telephone number when the first attempt to call that number doesn't go through. So if a firearm is removed from a holster and then re-inserted into the same holster, "re-holstered" is entirely correct and appropriate terminology.

Hank15

If you fall and lose complete grip/control of the gun you're going to want to put your finger behind the trigger again after you pick it up. That may be an issue depending on how you react to it.

Or if you have gloves, you may not get the same tactile feedback. i.e. what you believe to be behind the trigger may actually be the trigger itself...and it should be obvious what happens should your finger become "sandwiched" between that and the holster...

Also, not all DAO striker-fired pistols have the same amount of clearance behind the triggers. For pistols such as the S&W M&P, you might find your finger stuck behind the trigger because there is too much clearance.

Good holsters are designed to completely cover the trigger guard. Only in rare instances can tragedies be blamed on the holster. For example, there was a man who shot himself because his leather holster was bent and it engaged the trigger.

In any case, if you're adamant about your technique, practice with non lethal ammunition at a firing range. If you find your thigh unscathed after 1,000 rounds, carry on.

It's understandable that there are always exceptions to rules. But when it comes to the four commandments...there aren't many.

Jammer Six

Using your logic, no one would ever holster...

The way it creates confusion is quite simple to demonstrate.

Take a class with shiny, new holsters and teach them to draw.

Give the command to draw. Then give the command to holster.

Give the command to draw again. Then give the command to re-holster.

Watch what happens.

Details matter, confusion among new shooters is to be avoided. Precision in action, precision in speech and consistency all matter. Students are always learning, and if you're wrong, that's what they'll learn.

Teaching defensive pistol is difficult enough without ambiguity, and there is absolutely no justification sufficient to warrant two commands for the same action.

If a weapon is in a holster, and one wishes it to come out, one draws.

By your logic, one would "re-draw".

If a weapon is not in a holster, and one wishes that to change, one holsters.

Everything else is arm waving.

Have fun, gotta go. Got a class to teach. :cool:

DPris

Member Emeritus
Dev,
LE training is to carry with a round chambered, to begin with.
From there, the general consensus is to keep your trigger finger out of the guard until you're ready to shoot, which means keep it out of the guard while re-holstering.

Continuing on, it's best to try to re-holster, and/or be ABLE to re-holster, without tying up two hands & without diverting attention from what may be in front of you.
If you get in the habit of routinely & automatically using both hands to put the gun away and also use both eyes to do so in a non-threatening situation, that's what you'll revert to if the balloon goes up.

I say this as a former LE firearms instructor, an attendee at LE training schools, and a retired career cop.

Jammer,
If you see one word with which you disagree obsessively as a good reason to try to derail this thread, you're missing a point. Or two. Or three.
You can play the game with others if you want to waste time & energy, I'm not interested.

And, like Aguila, I've also put in considerable time as a professional writer & proofreader.
I don't find that "re-holster" creates a significant threat to life, liberty, the pursuit of justice, or the American Way.

Denis

btmj

Don't have a dog in this fight.... and this thread has drifted way off topic... but....

If two baseball teams come together to play a game, and half-way into the second inning they get rained out, one could say the started to PLAY a game.

If they come back together a few days later for a rematch that finishes without a rain delay, well one could say that they PLAYED a game.... However, one could also say they RE-PLAYED a game. Just because the first verb application is correct, does not mean the second one is incorrect. In fact, the word RE-PLAYED adds additional information and clarity in this case.

To most shooters, I think the verb "re-holster" means the same thing as the verb "holster".... but there is an added nuance to the word "re-holster": It implies that the weapon was recently drawn from the holster and is now being placed back into that same holster. As opposed to the weapon being removed from a case or drawer and holstered initially.

The use of the word "re-holster" will never hinder communication or clarity. At worst it is harmless. But maybe, just maybe, in some circumstances it might add some additional information.