Recipe Thread

Mauser8mm

Squirrel Kebabs!

After you had a full day of hunting squirrels, you are probably very hungry. Here is a recipe you can use if you like to eat your game!

Ingredients:

- Squirrel
- Butter
- Olive Oil
- Spices (Of Your Choosing)

Items:

- Kebab Stick (Or whatever you call it :D)
- Low Dish, Or Cake Dish
- Grill!! :p

Instructions:

- Cut your squirrel meat into small bite size chunks, as if they aren't already small enough!! :rolleyes:

- Layer the bottom of your dish with an even amount of melted butter and olive oil

- Dip the stick, or whatever you use to make kebabs in the mixture of butter and oil, then slip the squirrel bits on each stick depending on how much meat you have

- Now dip the 'Squirrel Kebabs' in the butter and oil, then add the spices of your choice

- Preheat the grill for about 5 minutes, then put the kebabs on the top rack

- Cook until the squirrel looks finished, (depending on your heat of course) then take the kebabs off and slide the meat on to your serving dish

- Enjoy!

PM me if you decide to try it and let me know how you like it! :)

BerdanSS

Drunk Orchard mop sauce.

Great for chicken and game birds (guess you could use it on pork, beef or Venison too)

1 can of Strongbow hard cider (or angry orchard, Crispin's works well also if you like a more beer/ale taste. use the same amount as the strongbow 16.9oz I believe. I like the Lansdowne for the Crispin's)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (or franks red hot, buffalo is good too:))
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Last edited:

BerdanSS

Woodland tacos anyone?
IMG_2295_zps4a530ba2.jpg

Tacos, taco salad, nachos, burritos......

1 lb. ground venison
4-5 whole green onions (diced)
1 small tomato (diced)
small lime
dash of course salt

Seasoning:
(these can be substituted with one packet of Hot taco seasoning if needed)
1 table spoon chili powder
1/4 cup of water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup taco hot sauce

Brown ground venison over med. heat and add diced tomato, green onions and salt. Cook until onions are tender (about 3 minuets) squeeze 1/3 of the lime over the meat, stir and add seasoning continuing to cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Add you favorite toppings. Only takes about 8 minuets and makes great nachos for game night :)

IMG_2296_zps8d14d89e.jpg

huntinaz

Easy Jerky Recipe

I'm digging this recipe a lot. Easy to make, no marinade, and doesn't overpower the flavor of the animal.

2-3 lbs meat
1/4 cup bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey
2-4 capfuls liquid smoke
~1 tsp course Kosher or sea salt
~1 tsp Fresh ground pepper

Cut meat into strips like you normally would. Add the whiskey, smoke, salt and pepper. I mix the salt and pepper in slowly, mixing the meat in between. Mix thoroughly and dehydrate. You can adjust salt and pepper to taste. I do this with the raw meat but if you don't want to do that, this ratio should be close.

HiBC

That sheet of meat over the ribs

I confess I have not tried this.

But skinning,dressing,you know that easily separated sheet of meat over the ribs?
Or,maybe even if you had an elk or moose diaphragm,check this vid out.

Its about "braised lamb breast".These are rolled and tied,with interesting things in the roll,then braised in a dutch oven or casserole.

Regardless of what you think of Gordon Ramsay(and please,we really do not need opinions of Gordon Ramsay,I'd rather you did not share them.Yes,he can be ...a donkey.So what?Its a useful vid)

http://youtu.be/cpjWgB89I08

huntinaz

Elk Liver Pate

This is adapted from the recipe found here: Elk Liver Pate. I used her recipe the first round and it was too bitter (too much mustard), too much butter and the alcohol ratio was way too high. I made some adjustments and added a few things and it came out way better. My recipe is what is printed but is derived from hers. Notice my recipe is for 2lbs liver, hers is for 1/2 lb. If you follow her recipe cut the alcohol contest by at least half in my opinion.

Choice of liquor:
I used a light Armagnac the first go-round and that was good except the ratio was way too strong. The second batch I used a Calvados and that was excellent. I believe any good quality Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados would all be good choices and I also think a light to moderately peated Scotch would be worth a try at some point i.e. Highland Park, Springbank, Bunnahabhain etc.

My Recipe:

Milk, for soaking liver
1 quart water or enough to cover liver when cooking
1 tsp salt
2 celery stalks, split and halved
6 sprigs parsley
15-20 peppercorns
1 tsp dry hot chili flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 lbs elk liver, cut into pieces and outer membrane removed (you could use any game or domestic liver)
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
1 large dollup bacon grease
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 pinches ground cloves
1/2tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 pinches dried thyme
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup Calvados (see comment on liquor above)
4 tbsp finely chopped parsley
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place liver in a bowl and cover with milk, let soak in fridge for at least an hour, overnight is also fine. After testing I do believe this cuts the heavy flavor of game livers, particularly elk.

Pour water in a large pot and add 1 tsp salt, celery, parsley sprigs, peppercorns, hot chili flakes & the cinnamon. Bring brine up to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the liver and bring back up to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the liver pieces and place on a plate to cool.

Meanwhile, place the butter, bacon fat, remaining salt, nutmeg, dry mustard, sage, coriander,thyme, allspice, cloves, green onions, garlic, liquor and parsley into a food processor. Pulse until well blended. Once the liver is cool remove the outside membrane and any gristle. Chop finely and add to the food processor. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend until mixed.

Line a ramekin or bowl with plastic wrap and spoon in the pate. Smooth out and wrap well in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge overnight before serving or freeze for later use.

To serve: remove plastic wrap and invert onto a plate. Use a warm knife to smooth out any rough spots. Cover the top with freshly ground pepper and finely chopped fresh parsley. Serve with simple or unflavored crackers or bread/toast. This is also good with toast and a tart jam/jelly. If serving with jelly I prefer to leave the parsley garnish out.

*this also works very well as a condiment to your grilled elk steaks as you would use horseradish

Enjoy!

stinkeypete

Maple syrup/apple grilled pheasant breast over rice with dried cherry slivers

Let bird rest in a cool place for a few days. I use the “10 second” method of pulling on the feet to get a nice skinned breast carcass. The breasts are easy to filet.

Neck, thighs, legs, the carcass post filleting etc are browned in a skillet to make soup stock- that’s another day’s meal.

Marinade: 2 tablespoons of local maple syrup to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with the smallest pinch of salt.
Marinate breasts at least an hour.

Set grill to medium heat. Not too hot! The filets are thin. There are two main muscle groups per breast, it’s okay if they are separate (giving two large filets and two ‘fingers”)

Grill lightly one side. Flip, top with the best unsweetened applesauce you can find. Let bake... the apple sauce helps keep your bird moist but so is keeping your heat medium/low. Bird is going to take about 10 minutes to cook.

Make yourself some brown or wild rice. That takes over an hour. Argue! Man hungry NOW! While you wait, chop up a couple tablespoons of dried Michigan cherries. Chop em real fine, a little goes a long ways.

Sautée the cooked rice and chopped cherries in butter... mixing the cherries and mmmm butter!

Serve the filet with baked apple sauce on top over a bed of that rice. Acorn squash (an hour!? Hungry now!) with butter and brown sugar complement the flavors, as does local micro brew beer.

Everything can be sourced local except the cherries, and Michigan is a good neighbor so that’s just fine too.

Double K

Colorado wild game

I only have the loins cut into steaks on deer and antelope, 1" thick, the rest gets ground into burger with 10% beef fat.
Either way were talking about animals that don't get grain or human food crops to eat consequently normal cooking methods result in extremely gamey tasting meat.
Here's the single best tip for cooking western deer and antelope, marinate or add to the burger Teriyaki sauce, doesn't need a lot but it's the best thing there is to kill gaminess. Secondly never overcook the meat, I eat the steaks rare to medium rare and the burgers pink on the inside.
Marinate the steaks overnight in Teriyaki and olive oil, I also heavily season it with Canadian steak seasoning. Toothpick a slice of bacon around the outside edge of each steak.
Preheat grill to 600 degree's{never pan fry mule deer}, grill on each side 3 minutes and move to the top rack of the grill{on low} or on a rack in your oven{350} for another 5-7 minutes until it's as rare as you can tolerate eating it.
Serve with horseradish sauce.
I had some sweet peppers for a little extra flavor the day I grilled these antelope steaks.

Smoked antelope meatloaf, but that's a recipe for another day.