Recipe Thread

fatwhiteboy

Medallions of Antelope Loin wrapped in bacon, fresh corn off the cob, baked potato.

Rinse and dry meat. Season with salt, coarse ground pepper and a dash of garlic, wrap in bacon. Grill 4 minutes a side....

Attachments

• Antelope.dinner1.jpg
    Antelope.dinner1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

quepasakimosabe

Some will kill me others will try it. I soak my quail in Italian salad dressing overnight in the fridge while they are thawing. I half cook the bacon on the skillet wrap the bacon around the birds and bbq on a preforated Al sheet intil the bacon is crispy then serve. I still use charcoal so i wait untill the coals are white all the way around. Simple, not a soul at my poker parties has complained. we usualy combine with a caserole or something bread/starch based.

donaldbracy

Greek Lentil Burgers
Ingredients:
½ cup dried brown lentils
2 cups water
1 chopped onion
½ tsp salt
4 garlic cloves
½ cup diced red peppers
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp dill
1 tsp oregano
3 kg chickpeas
2 eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs

Boil the lentils in the water. Cook for 30-40 minutes on medium heat until tender. Drain lentils. Brown the onion with salt for 7 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper, cumin, coriander and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in dill and oregano. In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas and eggs until smooth. In a bowl, combine chickpeas, lentils, vegetables and breadcrumbs. Flatten and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden-brown and firm.

mapsjanhere

What shot size do you use for lentils? I always thought anything over 7 1/2 leaves a mushy mess.
My latest freezer cleaner:
18 lbs Elk
6 lbs pork trimmings
1 cup Morton Tender Quick
6 T salt (was a bit much, probably cut that back to 3 next time)
9 T pepper
9 T garlic powder
3 T sugar
Run through grinder, let cure for 4 days, stuffed in natural pork casings, smoked for 8 h at 1

attachment.php

Attachments

• geraeuchert.jpg
    geraeuchert.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 735

TXGunNut

Breakfast Sausage Recipe?

I need a breakfast sausage recipe for the venison I'll be putting in the freezer today. Planning on 3-1 venison/pork fat recipe, salt, crushed black pepper, crushed red pepper and a bit if sage but I don't know how much of the spices.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I haven't made any... yet... But I googled breakfast sausage recipe and found a jillion... I plan to go through them and come up a concensus based on repeated ingredients and ratios and work from there...

Brent

TXGunNut

That's what I'm doing, just looking for a recipe that someone around here likes. I found the starting place for my Italian sausage reipe that way, turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

RangerHAAF

I've never been able to cook a venison or wild hog roast in a traditional oven setting; the meat is too lean and no matter how much soaking or marinating the strong wild and gamey taste is always there. So I use a Crockpot to cook it as long as necessary.

I start off by putting the roast into a base of beef broth that I season with salt, pepper, cajun spices, etc. that I let sit and stew for 4-6 hours, the beef broth leeches the game flavor out of the meat. Some of you also flavor your meat with bourbon, whiskey, etc. The next step is to determine if the meat can be pulled of the bone easily. If it can be then I add 1-2 bottles of Caribbean Jerk seasoning to give it my preferred flavor. Any kind of special flavoring sauce can be used(barbecue, teriyaki, etc.) it's based on what you want the meat to taste like.

After I add the Jerk sauce I'll let it cook for another 2-3 hours to completely absorb the flavor. When it's done it doesn't retain any of the gamey flavor that turns people off to eating it plus the moisture is retained in the meat. It's best to cook it one day before eaten as I've found that the longer it sits in the jerk sauce the more flavorful the meat becomes.

jtmckinney

Started with "Mike’s Spicy Italian Fennel Venison/Pork Sausage"

See his post #10. And of course I had to "Bubba" it up some.

I only had 3 lbs of vennison I had cut up and froze for chili meat. I added 10 lbs of pork shoulder and butt that was pretty lean. Grocery store only had beef fat available at that time so I added 3 lbs of that.

Mikes recipe was for 8 lbs so I used double his suggested ingreadents as a starting point. I love pepper and wanted to make a "hot" sausage so I used 4tsp cyanne pepper and 12 tsp black pepper. I cut back on the salt a little and used 5 tbs pickling salt.

Grocery store only had 2, 1.5 ounce bottles of whole fennel seed. I don't know how this converts to crushed fennel seed but this was only 13 tbs of whole where his recipe called for 16 tbs of crushed. Toasted per his instructions and went with it.

Same with the parsley, I bought 2 bunches chopped all but the stems along with the garlic.

Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes, mixed with seasonings and refrigerated over night. Ground and stuffed into hog casings next day making approx 3/4 pound links.

I think the results are excellent. Next time I make this I will add a little more fennel. I have been wanting a good Italian sausage recipe and this one fits the bill.

Thanks Mike!
James

Elkins45

If you know someone who likes beef but doesn't like venison, here's the best way I've found to make a deer roast taste like beef:

Brown a boneless venison roast (or stew trimmings may be even better) in a pressure cooker. Chop up the biggest eye-watering onion you can find and throw it in. Add 2-3 cups of water and three or four beef bouillon cubes, seal it up and let it chug away for a good while.

You'll need to know how your pressure cooker performs so you don't vent out all the water and burn it, but if you add enough water to let it perk for 45 minutes or so without running dry the end result is as close to a good beef roast as venison gets IMO.

bornhunters

recipes

deer stake with mushrooms sauce

To prepare a deer stake in the oven you will need the following ingredients:

- 1 kg of deer thigh
- 1 mushroom can
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 50 grams of smoked bacon
- 1 onion
- specific hunting condiments
- cooking oil

Preparing the meat

First of all you have to separate the meat from the bone. When you’re done separating them, drop the bone into a pot with boiling water together with some pepper and salt. The water will foam a couple of times until it becomes clean. Meanwhile, you can prepare the meat. You can start by stuffing it with bacon and garlic. When you have finished doing this, you will have to spice it on both sides with specific hunting condiments. After you have managed to do this, pour some oil into a tray, put the deer meat there. When done, add some water, but be careful that it doesn’t rise higher than half of the meat’s height. While you prepare the deer meat you should heat the oven so that you have it ready for cooking. It should be of a temperature of around 300-320 degrees.
The deer stake doesn’t cook very fast, so you shouldn’t rush to take it out of the oven.

Preparing the sauce

Put some oil in a cooking pan and add the onion that you have already cut into small pieces. Let it fry until it becomes of a gold color. When it does, add some mushrooms and the soup that you have got from boiling the deer bone. If you want your sauce to be more exquisite you can add half a glass of white wine. Wine goes hand to hand with the deer stake. Let the sauce boil for a small amount of time, after which, you may remove it from the fire. When the deer stake is ready, just pour the sauce on the meat and return the deer stake back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes.

It may take some time to prepare a deer stake but the effort is properly rewarded. It’s not like each day you have the privilege to enjoy such a feast. It is much healthier than cow or pork stake, so it may easily end up to be one of your families favorite foods.

Good appetite!
www.bornhunters.com

SurplusShooter

A good recipe for squirrel...

First soak your squirrel over night in extra virgin olive oil i find it tenderizes and removes some of the gamy taste of the Squirrel. Then in a pan on high heat put in some butter and minced garlic and throw in your cut up squirrel and cook until browned while moving it around. Now turn the heat to medium and put in 1 cup of broth/stock I use chicken but beef would work, also add any vegetables you would like i usually ad carrots and celery cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Then sever either over biscuits,potatoes, rice, or noodles and enjoy.

Recipe Thread for Fried Deer Loin steak

I like just plain old fried loin steak .
Cut Loin steak 1/4" thick.
Dredge in flour (twice.) Second time just before placing in frying pan.
8" Hot frying pan with 1/4 stick of butter and a drizzle of olive oil for cooking the meat in. (don't burn the butter)
Pepper meat to taste. (no salt)

Fry steak till preferred done'ness. Remember to turn meat over once only
Remove steak from frying pan to covered dish.
1/2 med size onion cut into thin rings and cook in same hot frying pan.
Add 1 1/2-onces of Teriyaki Sauce mixed with 3-5-oz. of cold water.
Cook mixture over high heat. Stir those onions around a little bit. Pepper to taste. Cover and cook till onions are steamed and done.
Pour the entire frying pan contents over the already plated fried steak.
Serve with lightly mashed boiled potatoes. Spill some of that onion sauce on top of those boiled taters and the over your steak too. >Mighty tasty. You'll wish you had fried more than you actually did._:)

camper4lyfe

I cooked up half of a whole boar over the weekend.

I brined it for 24 hours:

1 gallon of water
1 cup of kosher salt
1 cup of sugar
(The size of the cooler and the size of the meat will dictate how much you need to make. I had to do 5 gallons of water)

Then after rinsing, I added my rub to it. It's just a simple recipe that I got out of the Barbecue Bible.

The results were delicious!

IMG_0056 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

IMG_0139 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

IMG_0169 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

doofus47

Suggestion for Taming deer flavor: Rosemary

So I long ago reconciled myself to the fact that deer will taste like deer. It's like salmon. Dress it up how you like, salmon has a unique flavor. For some people, the deer taste is a show stopper.

I was making tacos using deer meat the other day and I threw in some rosemary as a spur of the moment "what if" addition. I didn't put in too much b/c rosemary has a pretty strong flavor. Still it seemed to dampen the gamy deer flavor. My wife agreed and my kids, my hardest critics, didn't kabbitz about either the deer flavor (which they usually don't) nor the rosemary.

So,
brown your ground deer meat in a pan,
add cumin, garlic salt, rosemary to taste and serve 'em up.

12GaugeShuggoth

Yummy Deer Heart

Yummy Deer Heart

Soak heart in water with a dash of sea salt over night in the fridge, rinse well before slicing making sure to get out all the blood. Slice heart in half, then remove all the tough stuff. Slice remaining meat in "bite sized" pieces, use your own discretion.

Slice a white onion however you like, I prefer about 4" strips.

Place skillet on medium heat, with just a touch of whatever cooking oil you prefer.

Start with the onions, don't let them cook fast, you want them to slowly brown and caramelize as the meat gets done. After onions have been in a few minutes, add heart pieces, and add some salt or pepper as you like. Once the onions have browned up nicely, add in some beer.

I always use a seasonal dark beer of one kind or another, with the best taste so far having come from St. George Brewery American Brown Ale (local brewery), but Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale gives a very good taste as well that I'm quite fond of. I put in enough beer to just barely cover the meat, then turn the heat up a little to get the beer simmering nicely, but not boiling. Add in more beer if you feel like it, but you don't want to over cook the meat, it's really best at about medium-rare.

Serve with honey-mustard made up with some spicy brown mustard, or my personal favorite is our home made blackberry jam. Of course finish that beer off as well. Eat. Drink. Smile. Take a nap. :D

Venison Breakfast Sausage (Jimmy Dean Clone)

4 lbs Ground Venison
4 lbs Pork Butt (Make sure it's fatty)
8 tsp Salt
3 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 tsp sage
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp corriander
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp coarsely ground rosemary.

Run meat through a coarse grinding plate and set aside. Mix dry spices in separate bowl, stir to mix, and add gradually as you throughly knead ground meat. Let stand in refrigerator for 4 hours to marry flavors. The recipe makes 8 one pound loaves.

Do not overcook, this recipe is very lean.

Last edited:

wooly booger

Yummy Deer Heart

Soak heart in water with a dash of sea salt over night in the fridge, rinse well before slicing making sure to get out all the blood. Slice heart in half, then remove all the tough stuff. Slice remaining meat in "bite sized" pieces, use your own discretion.

Slice a white onion however you like, I prefer about 4" strips.

Place skillet on medium heat, with just a touch of whatever cooking oil you prefer.

Start with the onions, don't let them cook fast, you want them to slowly brown and caramelize as the meat gets done. After onions have been in a few minutes, add heart pieces, and add some salt or pepper as you like. Once the onions have browned up nicely, add in some beer.

I always use a seasonal dark beer of one kind or another, with the best taste so far having come from St. George Brewery American Brown Ale (local brewery), but Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale gives a very good taste as well that I'm quite fond of. I put in enough beer to just barely cover the meat, then turn the heat up a little to get the beer simmering nicely, but not boiling. Add in more beer if you feel like it, but you don't want to over cook the meat, it's really best at about medium-rare.

Serve with honey-mustard made up with some spicy brown mustard, or my personal favorite is our home made blackberry jam. Of course finish that beer off as well. Eat. Drink. Smile. Take a nap.

Dayum

That is me right there