Recipe Thread

phil mcwilliam

Giraffe Biltong

View attachment 72081I tried this a few weeks ago in Zimbabwe after a mate had taken a Giraffe on a plains game hunt.
We used about half of one backstrap or about 30 pounds of meat. Remove as much sinew & fat as possible. Cut the meat into half inch strips along the grain. Dip each strip into vinegar before layering in a large plastic wash tub. On top of each layer sprinkle with salt, pepper, ground coriander & spice mix. Special biltong spice mix is available, but I think any spice mix will work.
We had the layers about 8 inches thick when we were finished this step.
Leave the meat to marinate for 24 hours, turning/mixing by hand every 6 hours.
We then hung the meat to dry & were chewing on giraffe jerky 4 days later. A longer drying time may be required but we had dry weather with a light breeze & were keen to try the giraffe.
We had giraffe liver, fried in butter, seasoned with salt & pepper ,the afternoon it was shot, & we had fillet steaks the following night.
After the skinners & helpers were done butchering the animal on the site it was shot, all that was left was a blood stain & the stomach contents- all the approximate 2,000 pounds of animal was used including internal organs such as stomach & intestines.
Giraffe actually tastes nice.
Hopefully the attachment shows the layers of meat marinating in a plastic wash tub.

Last edited:

hooligan1

Butterfly backstaps!

Here's another hooligan1 fave,,,, Butterfly deer backstraps on the grill.

1. take a deer backstrap and cut it into butterflies; make 1 inch cuts not quite through the strap, then make the next cut all the way through.
2. Stuff butterfly with japaleno rings, and season with Cavanders Greek Seasoning, lightly to taste.
3. wrap a stip of bacon around the edge as to hold the contents inside the butterfly, and secure with a toothpick.
4. over a hot direct-heat fire, ( I also use apple chips for smoke but any good smoke will do nicely) I lay the fillets on the grill and turn them only after they've browned on the bottoms.
5. I usually cook them until the bacon is pretty well done but I also take care not to "overcook" them.
6. they always please the crowd and go super with cold suds!!:);)

FrankenMauser

Antelope with Wild Rice

I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I don't cook by any means that really allows proper measurements. (Throw stuff in the pot, until it's delicious.) So, I couldn't find a proper way to do so. But, I'll toss it out there...

One note:
Any "Wild Rice" blend is good enough, but I prefer 'Rice Select' brand "Royal Blend". It has more Indian Rice ("Wild Rice" - it's actually a grass seed), than other brands. Straight wild rice is horribly expensive, and not recommended.

Here's the basic recipe:
Antelope meat - about 1-1.5 lb, slice into 3/8" thick medallions
Wild Rice
1 stick Butter - 1/4 cup. No margarine.
1 small Shallot - thinly sliced, or diced. You can substitute with diced onion and garlic (about 1/8 cup, total, 65% onion, 35% garlic).
Mushrooms - whatever you prefer - diced.
Salt and Pepper - to taste.
Water
Dinner Rolls - The good, old fashioned, yeastie kind. No potato rolls.

Slap the slab o' butter down in a 10" skillet, and get it melting (cut it up, if you're in a hurry). Sear both sides of the Antelope meat, while the butter is melting (don't cook it - just sear it). Set the meat aside.

Add a little salt and pepper. Cook the mushrooms and shallot (or onion/garlic) in the butter for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add meat back into pan, and take a rough guess at how much water and rice you need, to get the pan filled. Add water and rice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until desired thickness and doneness (may need to be covered, in some climates). Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Serve however you wish, but I like stuffing the buttery mixture into "mini bread bowls" made from home made dinner rolls. My wife prefers simply dipping the rolls into the mixture, and eating the Antelope separately. (She loves properly cared-for Antelope flesh.) ;)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Rabbit Salad Samiches...

If you run out of ways to eat Bugs Bunny or just want a different recipe...

Rabbit Salad Samich...
Take some boiled and deboned rabbit meat and plop in the food processor and give it a whirl or 3...

When chopped/shredded to a stringy consistency, put in a mixing bowl.

Add what ever you want but I like celery, onion, salt and pepper like you are making chicken salad or tuna salad.

Now add the mayo to desired stiffness of mixture.
Slop on bread and chomp down...

Now blow away the first person who asks what yer eating with what ever snarky statements you can think of!

Brent

PoorRichRichard

Simple cream based pasta with Cottontail

After skinning, gutting and cleaning the Cottontails, soak them in some salt water overnight in the fridge.

After the soak, boil rabbits for 2-3 hours (longer for larger rabbits- my guys were small, so 2 hours was fine). The meat will basically be falling off the bone.

Boil up some fettucini or linguini, drain and set aside. This can be done simultaneously while preparing the sauce.

Separate meat from bone.

Bring saucepan to a medium heat and brown a spoon full of crushed garlic with some olive oil and add pepper to taste. No salt! I'll tell you why at the end of post.

Add rabbit and brown a bit more.

Shoot with a splash of wine- white or red... hell, beer will do fine as well.

Add some heavy whipping cream. Mix it up. Should start to bubble up fairly fast.

Add a handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese- you can find the fresh pre-grated stuff at your local supermarket, or use the canned crap>>> your sauce will come out better with the fresh stuff.

Push to one side of the saucepan and add add pasta, toss and scoop into bowl or onto a plate.

As a side, I like to serve with fresh grown tomatoes from my yard cut into slices with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and bit of red wine vinegar.

Enjoy with a glass of wine (or bottle in my case...) or a frosty glass of your favorite beer!

As I stated before, do not add salt to the pasta until after you have tasted it! Two reasons why: First, the rabbit was soaked in saltwater overnight, and will retain some of the salt flavoring in the meat. Second, parmesan cheese (both fresh grated and canned) has a considerable amount of salt in it.

You can always add more salt to the dish, but you can never take any out!

Also, if you have extra Cottontail meat that you don't use in the pasta, lightly coat with olive oil, cover and refrigerate. The cooked meat should hold for 10 to 12 days in the fridge.

This is just a simple base recipe. Feel free to add/experiment! Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Afterthought: For those who dig on the seafood, throw some baby clams up in the mix.

PoorRichRichard

Jackrabbit Sausage

I have not tried this yet. Found it on another hunting website http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com

If anyone tries it before I get a chance to, please give feedback.

First brine the jacks in a salt water solution for 3 days in the refrigerator then I freeze them in the brine till ready. If the brine is too bloody, change it out prior to freezing.

3lbs diced rabbit preferably hind quarters

2lbs diced pork belly

1 cup raisins

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

30 grams Kosher salt

4 ground bay leaves

1 1/2 teaspoon ground Sage

10 grams Black pepper

1 teaspoon ground Oregano

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

10 gloves crushed garlic

Apple cider vinegar

Once the rabbit is diced cover it with cold water and a good splash of apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a few hours. Check it every 30 minutes or so and drain it and fill again. It will turn color and will release a lot of blood.

While the rabbit is in the vinegar brine prep the other ingredients in a bowl and dice pork belly.

Remove rabbit from brine and remove as much of the water as you can. Then add pork belly, garlic and other ingredients and stir till everything is evenly coated.

Get the meat grinder ready and grind with the medium blade.

You can keep it like this or stuff into sausage casings.

Cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees and enjoy!

Rembrandt

Bacon wrapped backstrap.......slice about 1.5-to-2" thick, wrap with thick sliced bacon, marinate in Italian salad dressing for about 48 hrs. Pan sear in olive oil (seals in moisture), then finish on the grill.

backstrap1.jpg

backstrap2.jpg

ZeroJunk

You guys have a lot more energy than me. I take a pound or two of venison cut in about 1 inch squares, a quart of home made canned tomatoes, a pack or two of frozen vegetables for soup, throw it in the crock pot and eat it the next day

I also throw duck breast in there and cover it with chicken broth, cook for a day or two, and eat it on some rice.

FrankenMauser

You guys have a lot more energy than me. I take a pound or two of venison cut in about 1 inch squares, a quart of home made canned tomatoes, a pack or two of frozen vegetables for soup, throw it in the crock pot and eat it the next day

I cook Antelope, primarily. You have to be really careful with cooking methods, or really careful in selecting the cut of meat. Like most venison, the "bad" flavors are in the fat/tallow. Cooking in certain ways (especially covered in a crock pot) can concentrate the "bad" flavor and aroma from marbled meat, or pieces of fat that were missed during butchering. Sometimes, the extra effort is required, not optional. :(

Bacon wrapped backstrap.......slice about 1.5-to-2" thick, wrap with thick sliced bacon, marinate in Italian salad dressing for about 48 hrs. Pan sear in olive oil (seals in moisture), then finish on the grill.
I have done the same with Antelope, with some changes:
For a predictable cook time, I cut the meat into 1" cubes, season as desired, and wrap all sides with bacon (double wrapped - 1 strip of thick cut bacon, cut in half). The pork drippings keep the Antelope moist (critical for goat meat), and it's ready to eat when the bacon is safe for consumption.

Gbro

Venison Whole Hash!

I just used the last of my venison and did not have a name for the dish, but one of the family outlaws said his Grandfather made a very similar meal called Whole Hash.
This is good for 15 servings <>
On a Grill,
I use a DOUBLE layer of extra strength foil and krinkle the top foil.
Onto the krinkled foil

1/4c<> olive oil

3-4 lbs of cut up venison steak (can use anything(I even use ground beef))

Cut or little carrot's all around the meat

salt an pepper, garlic powder etc. and I cut up fresh garlic also

I enjoy spinach throughout the dish

5 lbs Sliced red potato's,a I leave peels on and cut 1/2 - 3/4 " thick

Grated cheese or I love using the cheese packets from Mac N cheese

2 large onions sliced

1/2 lbs sliced or whole mushrooms

1 stick butter on top of taters and S&P all over again

a few tomato's on the top

1/4 cup <> water (for steam)

another krinckled sheet of foil on top and then close all the foil.

On my Weber Q 200 I cook on high for 40 min.

Size this any way and with any thing. Have never compiled a bad Whole Hash

Had a niece ask my wife if I was cooking anything gross like snake in it as she had no idea what venison is.:)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
2d-old... I had a buddy that would take a sliver of jalapeno along a dove breast (with what ever spices) and wrap them with bacon... does this count?

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
He did start bacon in oven on cookie sheet until half done or so as it was slower to finish than the dove meat... He layed them on same pan using the bacon grease as anti-stick and flavor.

Brent

2damnold4this

I cooked the doves wrapped with bacon, salted and peppered and stuffed with a jalapeno slice in a cast iron skillet on a gas grill. I should have precooked the bacon a bit longer as it was thicker than normal. The bacon was done but not crisp and the doves were a little overdone but not too bad. Next time I'll precook the bacon longer.

dalegribble

my friend gave me this dove receipe. marinate the dove in teryaki sauce overnite. wrap a slice of bacon around dove breast and secure with toothpick. bbq on grill till done. cook till bacon is done, bacon helps keep dove moist but don't overcook. they cook fast and are delicious.

ZeroJunk

I cooked an elk meat loaf last night in a covered frying pan. Put in the usual bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, green peppers, onions. Surrounded it all with cut up potatos and onions in cooking oil and let it fry covered for a couple of hours at 275. Turned the potatos a few times to brown. It was good.

SavageSniper

Deer Phillies

Take the deer ham and separate into roasts. Rub with your favorite rub or soak in brine, what ever suits you best and smoke until done. I like to chill mine after smoking to stiffen them up a bit. With a food slicer, slice real thin. It is amazing how some meats change flavor when thin sliced. Then in a pan or on a griddle saute onions, peppers and shrooms until tender. Add meat and heat. Pile it on hoggie rolls. Great for game day or what ever. My sister in law has ate numerous of these and she will NOT eat deer. Dont tell her please lol.

Wyoredman

Tony Tiger Sage Grouse

I really love to hunt sage grouse, but as most "chicken hunters" know, they aren't the best eating birds on the prarie! So out of desperation, I came up with this great recipe during last years hunt.

Sage Grouse Breasts-filleted
eggs
cream
Kellogs Frosted Flakes
Bacon grease

Mix the eggs and cream, whip
Soak the breast strips in the egg/cream mix for 1 hour
crush the frosted flakes in the cereal sack
dredge the breast strips in the frosted flakes
Fry in the bacon grease till done.

Trust me, this is the only way to eat Bomber Chickens!