President's Gun Control Proposals

Fishing_Cabin

Another interesting tidbit:

POTUS Press Release said:
Eliminate restrictions that force the ATF to authorize importation of dangerous weapons simply because of their age: ATF is required to authorize the importation of certain “curio or relic” firearms, and outdated regulations include all firearms manufactured more than 50 years ago in the definition of “curio or relic.” But today, firearms manufactured more than 50 years ago include large numbers of semiautomatic military-surplus rifles, some of which are easily convertible into machine guns or otherwise appealing for use in crime. Congress should get rid of restrictions that prevent ATF from changing this definition, enabling ATF to ensure that firearms imported as curios or relics are actually of interest as collectibles, rather than letting these rules be used as a way to acquire fully functional and powerful military weapons.

Could this lead to heavy restrictions on C&R FFL holders?

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
I can't believe what I just heard Patrick Lehy say (to sorta paraphrase): That his committee will take care not to infringe on the rights guaranteed by the Supreme Court... HUH? :eek:

Alabama Shooter

They mean Body armor piercing... At least that is what one petition was trying for here in L.A. (lower alabama aka panhandle of fla) It was literally going after "jacketed" rifle rounds we see in daily hunting use...

I don't see how that one could make it. Virtually all rifle rounds go through soft body armor IIIa and under. Literally everything would be AP.

Actually the armor piercing thing is not what we may think of it to be...

They mean Body armor piercing... At least that is what one petition was trying for here in L.A. (lower alabama aka panhandle of fla) It was literally going after "jacketed" rifle rounds we see in daily hunting use...

This could be a nasty one if so!

If that's how "armor piercing" is defined, we are in major trouble.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
fully functional and powerful military weapons.
So welded actions and barrels on curios???
Every functioning curio or relic rifle is POWERFUL by design...

The functional part is a bad term for us to see...

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The petition that went around here was only quashed when it was pointed out that nearly all rifle ammo for hunting purposes would be illegal...

Brent

sigcurious

Not sure what they can really do, since there isnt a huge amount of actual AP ammo even out there, let alone I cant remember any used in a crime.

At the very least perhaps no more surplus m855 or its 7.62 equivalents, at the worst

aircorpnut

1. "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system."

2. "Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system."

3. "Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system."

4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

5. "Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun."

6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers."

7. "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."

8. "Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)."

9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

10. "Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement."

11. "Nominate an ATF director."

12. "Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations."

13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

15. "Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."

16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities."

18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."

19. "Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education."

20. "Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover."

21. "Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges."

22. "Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations."

23. "Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."

RamItOne

State rep in Texas is introducing a bill that would make it a felony to enforce any federal law regarding restricting semi auto weapons and magazine capacities.

One wrote (paraphrasing) if it is not allowed for us to enforce federal laws such as immigration then why would you think I would enforce a federal law about firearms.
Guess that would be what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Found the quote and link
"We're restricted and prohibited from enforcing all types of federal laws, including immigration laws," he said Tuesday. "It would be unreasonable for anyone to think that I would enforce a federal firearms law."
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.h...ge_html_page_22995_content_86820843_pageNum_2

rickyrick

In the list of EO I didn't really see anything that would pertain to me so much, I do see oppoetunities for people to get hosed by the healthcare system.

I would hope that if developed mental disorders my family would step in and remove my few guns.

I will read the rest of the calling on congress suggestions as some of those comments are disturbing.

armoredman

Uncle Teddy tried that "body armor piercing" angle once before, and specifically referenced 30-30 ammo, IIRC.
If they case it off the oldest and weakest standard of armor, the old level IIA, then it would restrict a HUGE amount of ammo. If the standard was set up to Interceptor or steel armor, there would still be large numbers of calibers restricted, and forget getting anything to feed your Barret L-82...if you had the bucks to buy one, you lucky skunk, you.
Yes, this could be very bad, even if they restricted it to only ammo designed specifically to go through armor, as it has been for quite some time.

The ones that concern me are these:

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
Those criteria are established by the 1968 GCA. Do we want the Attorney General to have the power to establish new categories of ineligible people?

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
So, a quick NICS check. Already happens in most jurisdictions.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
And how do they do that when there's no such regulation with which to comply?

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
Let's bear in mind that "recovered in criminal investigations" casts a pretty wide net.

11. Nominate an ATF director.
Directors have to be approved by Congress, which is why we haven't had one since Truscott left in disgrace. Urge your Senator to oppose any candidate for the job until acceptable action is taken with regards to Fast & Furious.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
About time on both of those.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
Again, urge your elected officials to defund any such measures. The NRA has done so successfully before.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
Letting the free market make its own choices? Be still, my beating heart!

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
I thought it did, but to be honest, I have not read the whole of the ACA. Can anyone here clarify?

So, more cops on the streets, a few feel-good measures, some stuff that won't pass muster, and a few troubling things on mental-health reporting. We have a road map of the fight ahead now.

Many years ago some in Congress were trying to ram through an armor piercing bullet ban...

I THINK Kennedy, maybe Mario Biaggio, and some others were behind it. It fell apart really quickly when it became common knowledge that the law, as written, would have banned about 95% of all rifle ammo, and better than 50% of all handgun ammo, including MANY that had absolutely no capacity to penetrate armor at all.

Patriot86

@Glenn: You wouldn't need many Republicans to defect at all to get something through the house. The majority is slim. 17 Republicans would need to defect if every Democrat supported the bill.

Realistically you would probably need more like 25-40 Republicans to defect because some Democrats wont go along with an AWB.

I am more worried myself about a magazine ban, I think unless we keep a lot of pressure on our reps a mag ban by itself could get through.

@ Tomm: I am with you, #4 is the only really worrysome thing to come out of all those EO's. I don't like the idea of Eric I Don't Think Anyone Should Own Guns Holder somehow making modifications to who can and cant own guns.

bird_dog

Hunters, where are you?

Personally? I'm in NY. Still trying to figure THIS mess out and how it affects my collection of hunting AND non-hunting firearms, just like everyone else.

Haven't had time to look closely at today's speech yet, but I will.

Yes, I hunt. Yes, I have handguns. Yes, I care.